FO4 Mod Concept: Adding Skyrim-Like Magic to Fallout 4

So I'm throwing this out as a concept. As one of my upcoming projects, I'd like to be able to introduce limited magic-like abilities, mainly ideas like "force push/pull" and "levitation," as well as a healing spell. While I know there would easily be some ways to fake healing spells and potentially use the "Alien Artifact" ability as a quasi-force push, I'm wondering how far you could stretch the game engine.

How possible is this idea?

"Magic" related stuff is still in the engine. You should be able to do everything that was also possible with Skyrim spells. The only thing that is missing from Fallout is a menu the select spells, for this you need to find another mechanism.

"Magic" related stuff is still in the engine. You should be able to do everything that was also possible with Skyrim spells. The only thing that is missing from Fallout is a menu the select spells, for this you need to find another mechanism.

That is exactly what I was hoping for. Sounds like it's time for a UI mod. Thank you kindly!

You'll need casting animations and visuals for magic bolts/rays/whatever, everything else is in the game already.

No you don't. I made a mod that has lore friendly magical effects that are realistic, as in they could exist in the real world, to grenades. I made a mod that adds a fear spell to a custom meshed grenade. It works as you'd expect, it induces fear: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12916/?

Likewise. All you have to do it assign a custom projectile any of the various vanilla effects. You could assign something to the grenade key that would produce the flamer flames, or the cryo effect through sending a projectile.

You'll need casting animations and visuals for magic bolts/rays/whatever, everything else is in the game already.

No you don't. I made a mod that has lore friendly magical effects that are realistic, as in they could exist in the real world, to grenades. I made a mod that adds a fear spell to a custom meshed grenade. It works as you'd expect, it induces fear: http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12916/?

Likewise. All you have to do it assign a custom projectile any of the various vanilla effects. You could assign something to the grenade key that would produce the flamer flames, or the cryo effect through sending a projectile.

From what I understand he wasn't arguing that the mechanics weren't in the game (which is what your mod appears to offer), that's exactly his point, all of that is already in the game. He was saying that to recreate the Skyrim magic experience you'd need to recreate the casting animations and visual effects (and of course the system through which you were able to select spells), which haven't been ported over to Fallout 4 like the mechanics. Sure you could create something functionally the same, but without the casting animations and visual effects it's not the Skyrim experience.

From what I understand he wasn't arguing that the mechanics weren't in the game (which is what your mod appears to offer), that's exactly his point, all of that is already in the game. He was saying that to recreate the Skyrim magic experience you'd need to recreate the casting animations and visual effects (and of course the system through which you were able to select spells), which haven't been ported over to Fallout 4 like the mechanics. Sure you could create something functionally the same, but without the casting animations and visual effects it's not the Skyrim experience.

Judging from his avatar and previous mods, I don't think he'll need the animations to begin with, they still need to have some kind of animation/node to display the effects from where I think they are going have them display.

Edited by Kuroitsune