MOD Holotape naming convention

neokio

Ok, exciting! I think we're almost ready.

1) Which prefix do you prefer?

a) (Settings) <-- top sorted

b) [settings] <-- bottom sorted

2) Should we suggest holotapes be set as quest items?

a) yes
b) no

Please SEND ME A MESSAGE with your final vote on the above.

In a few days, I'll modify the first post to reflect the results.
Thanks everyone!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod author of Sleep or Save here. I jumped on the settings holotape bandwagon pretty early, so I'm keen to follow any standards that are established.

What opinions do people have on setting holotapes as quest items, so they can't be removed (accidentally) from the players inventory?

It's probably best, I don't really see a downside to it, since the only reason it might not be needed anymore is if you uninstall the mod.

Well, I usually only need the settingsholotape once or twice, and find it annoying having it clutter my Inventory all the time. This might not be that much of a problem for a single holotape or if/when Valdacil includes a collapsible Settings Group, but usually I prefer to store such things outside of my inventory and only get them, when I need them, and keep my inventory clear for things I need while adventuring.

I'm also not a big fan of the idea of forcing users to carry them with you, just because some users can't manage to keep track of their stuff.

Mod author of Sleep or Save here. I jumped on the settings holotape bandwagon pretty early, so I'm keen to follow any standards that are established.

What opinions do people have on setting holotapes as quest items, so they can't be removed (accidentally) from the players inventory?

It's probably best, I don't really see a downside to it, since the only reason it might not be needed anymore is if you uninstall the mod.

Well, I usually only need the settingsholotape once or twice, and find it annoying having it clutter my Inventory all the time. This might not be that much of a problem for a single holotape or if/when Valdacil includes a collapsible Settings Group, but usually I prefer to store such things outside of my inventory and only get them, when I need them, and keep my inventory clear for things I need while adventuring.

I'm also not a big fan of the idea of forcing users to carry them with you, just because some users can't manage to keep track of their stuff.

That's a good point!

I don't have anything to add to the holotape naming topic, but I wanted to let you all know that work on MCM is progressing. It's still very much in the initial stages, so I'm open to any requests or requirements you folks might have. No ETA unfortunately, but the menu building and managing is going to be much more streamlined than previous versions. Not a fan of Flash/Scaleform, though. :dry:

Great to hear that someone is working on this. Let me know if you get stuck in Flash. I probably don't have enough time to take on building anything. But, can probably help troubleshooting situations in Actionscript.

I know you have to load each SWF by a level. Now... if we can get someone (or myself) create a new HUDMenu.swf to load another .SWF in which that SWF reads an XML file and that XML file is a generated XML file of HUD Items and load each SWF file to a new LVL ect.... Kinda like FNV that one mod in FNV that merged HUD items via XML

This is in theory, I am going off of previous knowledge of Flash.

And also wanting to figure out how they are passing or retrieveing (most likely this) values to the Flash Files.

The values are passed through a proprietary system called Scaleform. The path is: Papyrus <-> C++ <-> Flash.

F4SE is needed to open up the ability to create custom hooks/calls on that path.

In theory, your XML model is possible. I believe Def_UI is already doing something along those lines. But, making the custom hooks via F4SE opens up a world of possibilities beyond an MCM. So, hopefully that capability isn't too far away.

(Downside is that anything using F4SE isn't likely to work on consoles. I only add "unlikely" in view of the possibility that Bethesda allows F4SE at some point. SKSE was after all so popular that it was documented on creationkit.com for Skyrim.)

Why don't you try to incorporate MCM into the pipboy? I'm thinking of a menu like Map or Radio for mod settings. I personally would prefer this over an additional menu in the pause screen.

I started a thread to brainstorm these options a while back... I also see some advantages to making the MCM in pipboy instead of the pause screen.

Why don't you try to incorporate MCM into the pipboy? I'm thinking of a menu like Map or Radio for mod settings. I personally would prefer this over an additional menu in the pause screen.

Yuck. Waste of screen space to try to fit everything into the little tiny area the pipboy takes up.

Yuck. Waste of screen space to try to fit everything into the little tiny area the pipboy takes up.

I don't see the problem. The lower menus, like Aid and Misc don't fit in the screen either and you have to "scroll through them" to get to Ammo for example. Why shouldn't that be an option for the MCM menu as well?

I don't see the problem. The lower menus, like Aid and Misc don't fit in the screen either and you have to "scroll through them" to get to Ammo for example. Why shouldn't that be an option for the MCM menu as well?

If it's the only way, it's fine, but I'd rather be able to see more stuff on screen at once than that

If it's the only way, it's fine, but I'd rather be able to see more stuff on screen at once than that

While I do have to say, that I can understand that, and am partially with you, I do like the way the Holotape Menus currently already don't take you completly out of the game, as a completly seperate Menu might do (as ie. the vanilla main menu does curently, and the MCM in Skyrim did). This certainly has some points speaking for it. The question I now have is, if there would be possibly be space for some middleground. Have the standard be as a pipboy menu with the option to go to a full size menu, for mods that need more screenspace for their options? Just a spontaneous Idea.

While I do have to say, that I can understand that, and am partially with you, I do like the way the Holotape Menus currently already don't take you completly out of the game, as a completly seperate Menu might do (as ie. the vanilla main menu does curently, and the MCM in Skyrim did). This certainly has some points speaking for it. The question I now have is, if there would be possibly be space for some middleground. Have the standard be as a pipboy menu with the option to go to a full size menu, for mods that need more screenspace for their options? Just a spontaneous Idea.

MCM accessed by item in pipboy (MCM go to item)? Possible middle ground? or for example, (Using controller) press Y when in pipboy to access skill points menu, press whatever to bring up MCM.

Edited by Gooberish1

Seems to me that both MCM settings and holotapes are required, and are in fact very different things.

There are mods with "set once and forget" settings (like DYNAVISION) and there are "gameplay enhancers" that require constant interaction (like Don't Call Me Settler).

For "set once and forget" mods, the PipBoy is terribly inefficient ... it's a skeuomorph, not a good user interface. This is why we need MCM.
For "gameplay enhancers", as RustyXXL says, it sucks being pulled out of the game ... holotapes do the trick.

I guess our focus here is to create something that is both a placeholder for MCM settings mods and a guideline for gameplay enhancer mods.