MOD Holotape naming convention

neokio

Just wanted to chime in here, following this thread closely.

I have a mod that uses a holotape, but it's not 'Settings' per se. My holotape spawns and dismisses companions.

Would I be best off (and most in line with what you are proposing) if I use [Holotape] [Mods]?

Or are you moving away from square brackets and the use of the word 'Mods'?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for a few people to weigh in, at which point I'll update the first post, and then message most mods-with-settings authors (like yourself) with our suggestion.
But the final suggested proposal will be either [settings] or (settings), with a few more votes on [settings] at the moment.

Figure I'll throw this out for those that haven't noticed. Looks like Valdacil updated his mod to accomodate at least [settings], haven't tested the other tag, so all holotapes following that are now grouped in MISC as "Settings Holotapes" ^_^

Figure I'll throw this out for those that haven't noticed. Looks like Valdacil updated his mod to accomodate at least [settings], haven't tested the other tag, so all holotapes following that are now grouped in MISC as "Settings Holotapes" ^_^

I've checked the mod and can confirm that both [settings] and (Settings) work.

Results are in! After 2 weeks of deliberation ...

[settings] is our final suggested holotape prefix.

Final tally of reponders: 11 for "[settings]", 3 for "(Settings)".

I'll reiterate the holotape spec:

1. Use the prefix [settings] ... capital S, lowercase ettings, followed by a single space.
  2. Use your mod name, without the words "Configuration", "Options", "Setup", or "Holotape"

I'm still bringing mod authors to this conversation, but there are probably dozens of mods with holotapes I don't know about.
If you see one, please PM me with their mod link and I'll inform them of the suggested change (or do so yourself).

A few questions remain:

What about mod authors who made AID settings scripts (potions with message boxes attached?) like WOTC, Journey, etc.?

Valdacil, can these mods just add the [settings] prefix to merge nicely with MISC items?

Or can we offer some guidance in migrating to a proper MISC holotape?

Thanks everyone!

I have a question that is semi-related to the use of holotapes/other aid items. This isn't restricted to settings items, but they certainly form the largest bulk of them.

Basically, similar to the naming convention standard, is it reasonable to ask that either control/settings items be marked as quest items? This prevents unwanted transfer/removal. This:

a) prevents scripted forced removal (as far as I'm aware).

b) prevents accidental player-actioned removal (i.e. when I get scatter brained and drop my bullet time consumable into the workshop), and

c) simplifies trade/swap interfaces by removing clutter

In the instance where a person does NOT wish to mark a setting/aid item as a quest item, there might be an ADDITIONAL setting from the settings holotape/consumable that marks/unmarks the item as a quest item. Therefore, the item in question is added at game start (which may be more tolerant than the pipboy check for any future alt start mods). The settings/aid item is marked as a quest item from hereon in, with the option to then unmark it/remark it from use. This gives players the OPTION to still "lose it" if they want to, but allows them the choice.

If I can come up with a generic quest/script template to do this, would people be interested in adding this in?I suspect the bullet time consumable would benefit from this, as would gopher's survival quicksave item.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

have a thing for in-game config menus lately. Visible Companion Affinity v4.0 will support sorting mods like this:

Very nice scripting there and support for the standard. I kind of like the idea of (Settings) for often used holotapes since it sorts them to the top and inventory can get out of hand at times, with [settings] to mark config and forget type mods, which can work well when MCM is released to support either method. Glad to see cooperation in the mod community also.

Results are in! After 2 weeks of deliberation ...

[settings] is our final suggested holotape prefix.

Final tally of reponders: 11 for "[settings]", 3 for "(Settings)".

I'll reiterate the holotape spec:

1. Use the prefix [settings] ... capital S, lowercase ettings, followed by a single space.
  2. Use your mod name, without the words "Configuration", "Options", "Setup", or "Holotape"

I'm still bringing mod authors to this conversation, but there are probably dozens of mods with holotapes I don't know about.

If you see one, please PM me with their mod link and I'll inform them of the suggested change (or do so yourself).

A few questions remain:

What about mod authors who made AID settings scripts (potions with message boxes attached?) like WOTC, Journey, etc.?

Valdacil, can these mods just add the [settings] prefix to merge nicely with MISC items?

Or can we offer some guidance in migrating to a proper MISC holotape?

Thanks everyone!

Lucky I just found this thread. I was going to call my holotape "01 CWSS Redux Configurator" ftw :laugh:

• 1 month later...

im going to chime in a bit too and state while i understand that right now they are necessary i actually don't like the holotape method. mostly because i feel like if they are to really work without being in the way with the already extremely cluttered inventory they would need to have their own list on the pip boy specifically for them.

not to mention the immersion factor like if i see a holotape that's specifically labeled "(MOD: insert mod name here)" then its kind of a harsh leash yank that breaks immersion.. im not saying mcm with its external menus are better for immersion but i am saying its much easier to forget about the mcm menu after you set all your mod values to your liking

hell if its possible to do such a thing as creating a new menu on the pipboy, i suppose consider that a suggestion would certainly help to keep the misc section of the pip boy uncluttered.

ide also like to state that its fantastic to hear that there is going to be an mcm version for fallout 4 as i had previous heard that it wasn't going to happen ^_^

Edited by EltyJade