Left wing hypocrisy on Obama

marharth

Ok, time out folks. I have been reading this thread for some time now. I read the OP, and decided that I had better stay out of this one... But as it has progressed, and not surprisingly gone somewhat off topic, I have become increasingly bemused at some of the comments made by otherwise apparently (in most cases) intelligent members of our group.

First of all, may I say this: The left wing is no more hypocritical than the right wing. Let's face it, this is politics. Not my cup of tea, but there you are. I will try to couch everything in terms that will not get me thrown off this forum, but it will not be easy...

The country suffered through 8 years under the administration of Mr. Bush and his cronies. He left us in the worst possible position of any president before him. Mr. Obama has had to pick up the pieces and attempt to make a new start. I have so much I would like to say about how and why Mr. Bush did the things that he did, but I am not going to do so, as that is not the topic of this thread.

I will say this first, I am not 100% in accord with what Mr. Obama has accomplished during his first term. However, I never expected to be. He took on a monumental task, and he, and most of the rest of the country expected too much of him. He promised too much, and then lost focus.

1. He promised a Healthcare bill, and the only way he could provide one was to push through a weakened one that a Republican congress would allow. We all know that the insurance industry is never going to let us have decent healthcare until we get rid of their lobbyists. As we all should know by now corporate America (including those insurance companies) are basically running this country.

2. My understanding (which I admit is limited on this one) is that the tax cuts are meant to lead to deficit reduction in the long term and will lead to reducing some of the tax preferences that have been in existence forever.

3. Yes, he did get us into another war. I do not have anything to say in support of that. As far as putting more troops in Iraq, we are already there, and I am not a strategist. I do believe there needs to be a certain strategy to moving them out. In general, I am not in support of war, and I heartily disagree with the reasoning behind our being there in the first place. You would have to speak with the prior administration about that one.

4. If he is going to support a bill giving cuts to entitlement programs, I do not know which ones or why, and would need more information.

5. I do not believe that he has been against gay marriage for awhile, and do not know where you come by that information. Do you have proof of this?

I am a liberal, and I support this president because he is our president and I am a patriotic American. Believe it or not I am a liberal and I supported George W. Bush because he was our president for the very same reason. I just did not happen to vote for him.

1. I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that the healthcare bill was passed before the midterm elections. I am also pretty sure the house and senate were democrat controlled before the midterm elections.

2. Yes, but that doesn't happen. It adds massive debt and is a leading cause of debt. That being said, Obama said he would not do tax cuts for the upper class and the liberals didn't want him to do tax cuts.

3. Obama isn't helping any. Doesn't matter who started it now, it matter who ends it.

4. The debt ceiling bill will give massive spending cuts that include certain entitlement spending cuts.

5. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/22/anderson-cooper-obama-gay-marriage_n_882075.html

I know its a huffington post link. Go down to the video which is from CNN.

I can post more links if that's not enough.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. You are correct. I misspoke when I said Republican Congress. I really meant to say Republican opposition and obstructionism.

2. To the best of MY knowledge Mr. Obama has not instituted any tax cuts for the upper class, as you put it. And, Democrats wanted any tax cuts to be sensible

3. I do not yet know if Mr. Obama is helping. I would certainly like to see him get us out of wars as quickly as possible. However, I disagree with you when you say that it doesn't matter "who started it now". If you want to discuss hypocrisy, you might want to think over that remark.

4. Please explain that statement. I am uncertain of what you are trying to say.

5. I did find that clip interesting I must say. He does seem to be waffling on the gay marriage issue. I do not like to see that; and once again it is why I do not like politics. It is because it attracts politicians. Democrats and Republicans to me are becoming one and the same.

1. You are correct. I misspoke when I said Republican Congress. I really meant to say Republican opposition and obstructionism.

2. To the best of MY knowledge Mr. Obama has not instituted any tax cuts for the upper class, as you put it. And, Democrats wanted any tax cuts to be sensible

3. I do not yet know if Mr. Obama is helping. I would certainly like to see him get us out of wars as quickly as possible. However, I disagree with you when you say that it doesn't matter "who started it now". If you want to discuss hypocrisy, you might want to think over that remark.

4. Please explain that statement. I am uncertain of what you are trying to say.

5. I did find that clip interesting I must say. He does seem to be waffling on the gay marriage issue. I do not like to see that; and once again it is why I do not like politics. It is because it attracts politicians. Democrats and Republicans to me are becoming one and the same.

2. He passed a bill that extended unemployment by a bit, but also extended the massive bush tax cuts.

4. The senate just passed a bill a few hours ago that will raise the debt ceiling as well and give a ton of spending cuts. Obama agrees with the bill. Part of the spending cuts include entitlement programs.

5. Have to agree with you in saying both parties are becoming the same. I think you shouldn't support either due to that though.

EDIT: To make myself clear, I am not saying its just the left that is being hypocritical. This is more of a topic on why people still support Obama.

Edited by marharth

EDIT: To make myself clear, I am not saying its just the left that is being hypocritical. This is more of a topic on why people still support Obama.

*cough*

Left wing hypocrisy on Obama Why is it OK to support these things?

*cough*

Might have wanted to phrase your thread title a little better, then.

They support him because he's the President. And he hasn't had sex with an aid yet, wiretapped a hotel, or anything like that to really make people mad. Hypocrisy is expected of politicians by now. Catch up on your cynicism.

Ok, time out folks. I have been reading this thread for some time now. I read the OP, and decided that I had better stay out of this one... But as it has progressed, and not surprisingly gone somewhat off topic, I have become increasingly bemused at some of the comments made by otherwise apparently (in most cases) intelligent members of our group.

First of all, may I say this: The left wing is no more hypocritical than the right wing. Let's face it, this is politics. Not my cup of tea, but there you are. I will try to couch everything in terms that will not get me thrown off this forum, but it will not be easy...

The country suffered through 8 years under the administration of Mr. Bush and his cronies. He left us in the worst possible position of any president before him. Mr. Obama has had to pick up the pieces and attempt to make a new start. I have so much I would like to say about how and why Mr. Bush did the things that he did, but I am not going to do so, as that is not the topic of this thread.

I will say this first, I am not 100% in accord with what Mr. Obama has accomplished during his first term. However, I never expected to be. He took on a monumental task, and he, and most of the rest of the country expected too much of him. He promised too much, and then lost focus.

1. He promised a Healthcare bill, and the only way he could provide one was to push through a weakened one that a Republican congress would allow. We all know that the insurance industry is never going to let us have decent healthcare until we get rid of their lobbyists. As we all should know by now corporate America (including those insurance companies) are basically running this country.

2. My understanding (which I admit is limited on this one) is that the tax cuts are meant to lead to deficit reduction in the long term and will lead to reducing some of the tax preferences that have been in existence forever.

3. Yes, he did get us into another war. I do not have anything to say in support of that. As far as putting more troops in Iraq, we are already there, and I am not a strategist. I do believe there needs to be a certain strategy to moving them out. In general, I am not in support of war, and I heartily disagree with the reasoning behind our being there in the first place. You would have to speak with the prior administration about that one.

4. If he is going to support a bill giving cuts to entitlement programs, I do not know which ones or why, and would need more information.

5. I do not believe that he has been against gay marriage for awhile, and do not know where you come by that information. Do you have proof of this?

I am a liberal, and I support this president because he is our president and I am a patriotic American. Believe it or not I am a liberal and I supported George W. Bush because he was our president for the very same reason. I just did not happen to vote for him.

My comment the other day was spoken in a moment of supreme annoyance. I could have thought it out better, and didn't. Sometimes when I get into a temper, I forget this is the Debate thread and not the 'Vent your frustrations against the other side' thread.

Having said that, I agree with most of what you say here, and with what HeyYou has said. I'm dropping out though before I say something that makes me look even more stupid.

I didn't not support Bush because he was a Republican, I didn't support him for things he said and did but that is outside the scope of this discussion, I guess that means I'm not very patriotic :(

"He promised a Healthcare bill, and the only way he could provide one was to push through a weakened one that a Republican congress would allow. We all know that the insurance industry is never going to let us have decent healthcare until we get rid of their lobbyists. As we all should know by now corporate America (including those insurance companies) are basically running this country."

It was not a Republican congress the Democrats controlled the House, the Senate and the White House...this Bill and the lack of a Budget were all on the Democratic watch. After three years he still wants to run against the prior administration rather than his own record...pathetic. The mid term elections proved that the country did not buy into spending our way out of a recession via the government alone. Though Clinton was never my favorite leader at least he was engaged in the budget process, this Nimrod only whinges about partisanship but has never made a single concrete budget proposal. Obama instead of running the country he is running for re election. When US Treasury notes are downgraded which seems likely, that won't be his fault either...please.... even my hip waders are not tall enough to wade through that BS.

"He promised a Healthcare bill, and the only way he could provide one was to push through a weakened one that a Republican congress would allow. We all know that the insurance industry is never going to let us have decent healthcare until we get rid of their lobbyists. As we all should know by now corporate America (including those insurance companies) are basically running this country."

It was not a Republican congress the Democrats controlled the House, the Senate and the White House...this Bill and the lack of a Budget were all on the Democratic watch. After three years he still wants to run against the prior administration rather than his own record...pathetic. The mid term elections proved that the country did not buy into spending our way out of a recession via the government alone. Though Clinton was never my favorite leader at least he was engaged in the budget process, this Nimrod only whinges about partisanship but has never made a single concrete budget proposal. Obama instead of running the country he is running for re election. When US Treasury notes are downgraded which seems likely, that won't be his fault either...please.... even my hip waders are not tall enough to wade through that BS.

I corrected my statement about the Republican congress when Marharth pointed it out to me. It was in the next post from me; but thank you for pointing it out to me again.