ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

The Imperial Geographical Society \ Weir Gate

Saeta44

The scholar-explorers' society which penned the the Pocket Guide to the Empire and the Imperial Census of Daedra Lords is nowhere to be found in the whole of Cyrodiil. If only through the creation of a new building and a few NPCs somewhere on the edge of Lake Rumare (so as to prevent mod conflicts, hopefully), I'd like to be able to visit their offices and\or museum. I should think this ought to be involved with whatever remains of the Battlemages' college (probably the Arcane University, but not necessarily so) in "An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire," owing to the fact that they helped to create a detailed survey of the Daedric Princes, something which the battlemage college seemed to have a hand in since the Battlespire (and the Weir Gate which accessed it) existed on some level of Oblivion and allowed access into deeper levels of Oblivion. While the Battlespire is inactive now and the Weir Gate itself (which looked like a large mana well, not unlike those throughout Cyrodiil) is probably inactive as well, I don't think it out of the question that the famous Weir Gate \ Pillar of Light would be located near the Geological Society's facilities.

No need for a detailed questline- though it'd be awesome if at all possible- but I'd like to see this organization and the Weir Gate the main character in Battlespire used to access the Battlespire actually created, since both are supposedly in Cyrodiil but... aren't.

Also worth noting: there's a Second Edition of the Pocket Guide but we've never seen it. A slightly-altered version of the First Edition should suffice, if anyone means to add it to the Geological Society's library. For added fun, since several libraries and bookstores in my area (I live in the country) have cats, I think it might be fun to include one of the house cats from Oblivion mods as a roaming NPC somewhere around the facility. An Alfiq, one of the varieties of Khajiit we've yet to actually see (save for a description in "Mixed Tactics," we know little about them other than that they apparently look just like domestic cats save for their high degree of intelligence and magical abilities).

Resources:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Imperial_Geographical_Society

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Weir_Gate (the Weir Gate, on the Battlespire's side)

(at 2:15 it shows the Weir Gate facilities on Cyrodiil's side- the Pillar of Light- and shows the Frostcrag Spire-like appearance of the Battlespire's exterior... it looks sort of like a dragon, actually, which I doubt is unintentional)

(shows the destruction of the Battlespire, as well as much of its architecture- note Masser and Secunda in the background)

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Doors_of_Oblivion (mentions that the Pillar of Light itself *may* work but that the Battlespire itself definitely does not).

I do not blame Bethesda for forgetting to include these details in Cyrodiil, considering just how much lore they had to keep in mind with each successive game (we'll see if they remember details from the Elder Scrolls mobile games when setting up Dawnstar in the new Skyrim game for instance). Nevertheless, I should like to be able to visit these places at last.

Edited by Saeta44

Have you considered or played The Lost Spires mod?

Yes, I've been meaning to try it. Does "Lost Spires" cover the Pillar of Light and\or the Battlespire then? If a mod's already got that part covered somehow, that'd be awesome. Building an Imperial Museum for the Geological Society should be far easier than building the remnants of the Battlespire, etc. Or did you mean that LS addresses the Geological Society, or both?

I'll download the mod now and give it a spin to see. Thank you!

Lost Spires adds a huge quest line with large dungeons and an intriguing cast of fully voiced characters!. It also adds an archaeological society guild, dedicated to uncovering the mysteries of the ancient ruins. Well worth playing, it probably adds 12 hours of game time if not more. I dont think it ties into Battlespire in any way, since I havent played battlespire, but its worth playing either way. I believe it also has its own website^^.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost Spires adds a huge quest line with large dungeons and an intriguing cast of fully voiced characters!. It also adds an archaeological society guild, dedicated to uncovering the mysteries of the ancient ruins. Well worth playing, it probably adds 12 hours of game time if not more. I dont think it ties into Battlespire in any way, since I havent played battlespire, but its worth playing either way. I believe it also has its own website^^.

I have to say that I was pretty impressed. They really had potential to tie it in with Battlespire a bit, considering the little pocket dimensions you can enter and fight bosses in, but they did very well. Great mod.

Nevertheless, Archeology isn't the same as Geology and there's still potential for my mod idea alongside the awesomeness which was The Lost Spires.

Another mod which lightly touches on the subject of the Battlespire (I'll kick myself if I find out it actually includes access to it but I don't believe it does) is "Integration: The Stranded Light" over at ModDB. For the lore and bestiary nuts out there, that mod follows the "Seducers and Dark Seducers are different daedra" school of thought, something which, like the Fire and Ice Demons' relationship with Fire and Ice Atronachs, has not been entirely clarified in lore yet.

• 3 weeks later...

It sure wouldnt be bad if Bethesda remade Daggerfall and Battlespire with true 3D engines. Though they might have to take it in a different direction since things have changed in the way we play games since the 90s^^.

Wouldn't mind an altogether new "An Elder Scrolls Legend" or "Elder Scrolls Adventure" game myself, or else possibly a revamp of the mobile games (Shadowkey in particular)... which is another mod idea now that it occurs to me. Skyrim, in particular, I'm hoping at least references the events in the Dawnstar game. A discussion for another thread though, methinks.