Fix for scaled leveling?

orph

I personally feel that scaled content completely ruins a RPG. I hated it in Oblivion, and I hated it even more in Fallout 3, so I've decided that I'll play Skyrim when the first mod that fixes this horrible design decision is released.

Is anyone aware of any upcoming projects which will fix the scaled leveling in Skyrim? Obviously not much can be done until the game is released, I'm just hoping to get an idea as to when I can play the game and not feel gimped the whole time.

How could you hate it more in Fallout 3?

You could barely notice it was there. In Oblivion it was far worse.

On topic, Todd said that it will be more similar to Fallout 3's.

We don't know how much similar, but we know that you won't be able to go and kill everything on level 1 (like in Oblivion).

And we need to know if it has to be fixed first.

Edited by Iv000

How could you hate it more in Fallout 3?

You could barely notice it was there. In Oblivion it was far worse.

On topic, Todd said that it will be more similar to Fallout 3's.

We don't know how much similar, but we know that you won't be able to go and kill everything on level 1 (like in Oblivion).

And we need to know if it has to be fixed first.

I hated Fallout 3 more because the late game enemies were so annoying. Shooting something 45 times in the face totally ruins suspension of disbelief for me, and also means you need thousands and thousands of rounds of ammo to do anything. Yea, the bandits in glass armor with perfect stats were pretty bad in Oblivion, but the only times I played through it I either glitched the game by staying level 1, or used that overhaul which fixed the leveling.

It just boils down to the way I play RPGs, if something is hard I like to go level up more then come back to it, but when things scale it just stays hard. Totally removes the rewards of leveling up. Generally in Fallout 3 and Oblivion I either had to use the console commands "TGM" or "kill" if I couldn't handle something because leveling up wouldn't do any good anyway. Pretty much any form of scaled content has to be fixed in my book. The only changes I want in the world are story related or the result of my actions.

And I'm not talking about anything in production obviously, I'm just wondering if any of the predominant people in the mod community who have made this sort of thing in the past have made any indication that they would be doing the same for Skyrim.

Edited by orph

It just boils down to the way I play RPGs, if something is hard I like to go level up more then come back to it, but when things scale it just stays hard.

Yes, this particularly is very annoying.

When you level up you should get stronger then your enemies, not the other way around.

I think that it would be quite reasonable if they lower the level scaling.

As I said, we don't know yet how Skyrim has improved things, but it looks like we won't have to swing a sword 80 times at an enemy to kill it.

Fallout 3 only level scaling was random encounters btw. At lvl 5 a raider wS just as strong as if you were at lvl 30.... So I dont know what you're talking about

I'm talking about the random encounters mainly. When traveling around at level 30 there were constantly those... reavers? I forget the name, but the endgame enemies were just incredibly unfun to fight. I never actually finished the DLC because of this. I felt that the New Vegas DLC had the same issue actually, the enemies just had way too much life.

Its not entirely a scaling issue with FO3(and definitely not with NV, but thats Obsidian, so whatever), since those were the endgame enemies either way, but once they started showing up randomly all over the world, well, pretty much everything was unfun at that point.

I want to wtfpwn the random encounters when I'm level 30. Thats one of the best parts of being level 30.

For example, do you remember in Morrowind when you first found that you could one-shot cliff racers? It was awesome. Yea, they never stop pestering you, but once you level enough it was just a single swing of Umbra in passing. It just made you feel powerful.

Edited by orph

Cliff racers!!! FUN!?!?? Also most people I've heard say the opposite of what you say about f3 and NV. Things die way to easy for most people. Lincoln's rifle killed about anything in one head shot in f3 and using high caibler guns in NV does the same, one hit kills. So again I'm confused how it takes you 45 head shots to kill something in the fallout games?

Cliff racers!!! FUN!?!?? Also most people I've heard say the opposite of what you say about f3 and NV. Things die way to easy for most people. Lincoln's rifle killed about anything in one head shot in f3 and using high caibler guns in NV does the same, one hit kills. So again I'm confused how it takes you 45 head shots to kill something in the fallout games?

I said realizing you could 1shot them and not have to fight them anymore was rewarding, not that they were a good design idea in the first place. If you didn't smile the first time you realized that you don't have to fight cliff racers anymore, well, you clearly don't enjoy games the same way I do.

And I'm talking about those nearly invincible ghouls that started showing up late in FO3. They took a ton of head-shots to kill from any weapon I ever found. If there was one super-gun that could deal with them, well, that's poor too.

Here is a video someone posted of just how many hits it takes to kill stuff late in NV.

Fallout's balance issues were mostly related to them thinking a challenging enemy should require multiple full magazines, the scaling issue comes in when you get to the random encounters with those horrible endgame enemies.

Regardless, that's not what I started the topic to talk about. I just wanted to know if any of the people who have fixed balance issues in the past are still around, and if they have said anything about modding for Skyrim.

Still disagree with evething you say about fallouts level scaling (if you could even call it that) by oblivions system was bad. The leveled quest items were the worse.

Also NV doesnt have random encounters which sucks and I even doubt that game has lvl scaling. Old world blues gives you weapons to kill robots with so that guy is doing nothing but wasting ammo. It's his fault not the game's.