The Divide vs the Glowing Sea vs the Sierra Madre - most hellish wasteland?

JackTrenton

Which would you say is the most hellish post-apocalyptic location? Considering factors such as the climate, the number and strength of the enemies, and generally the most extreme challenge to survival?

The Divide features a crack in the earth caused by nuclear weapons, endless sand storms that rip the skin off, endless numbers of tunnelers, deathclaws, and marked men, and radiation from the detonation at Hopeville.

The Glowing Sea is a much larger area featuring extreme radiation, low visibility, rad storms, the devastation from the direct impact of a high-yield nuclear weapon, and extremely tough enemies such as deathclaws, radscorpions, feral ghouls, and other insects that are made common by the radiation and enhanced by mutation. No sources of food or water, jagged rocks, and rads that can kill in seconds.

The Sierra Madre has the red cloud of toxic smog hovering everywhere that can choke your lungs. It also has the almost unkillable ghost people and holograms

Honorable mention for the Pitt with its industrial smog, toxic rivers, steel mills, slavers, and abundance of trogs and wildmen. Also Vault 87 from Fallout 3 with extreme levels of radiation, FEV abominations, and super mutants galore.

I think I have to pick the Glowing Sea as the winner. Enemies are tougher and its a much larger area.

I'd say Sierra Madre mostly because of that red toxic cloud. It can corrode any material known to man and that means you can get choked even in Power Armor. Not to mention the regenerating deadly Ghost People.

Actually Fallout NV the Divide and the Fallout 3 the White House and yes the Glowing Sea is "hot", but I actually found, in that I went and tested the other areas ...that the Glowing Sea actually required less Chems to stay alive then other areas.

I did this both with Power Armor and without ...

You can survive fairly well in Divide if you know where to look and set traps. Just make sure you're by an autodoc, reprogram some sentrybots and you'll be fine. Sierra Madre you can live like a king as long as you're in the hotel. And the Glow, though my favorite because it's the most realistic, take your Rad-X and loot and scoot.

The Glowing Sea is a testament to the Bethesda's lack of giving a s#*! about any sort of realism, but of all the places in Fallout thus far, that place is the worst. It makes no goddamned sense, and in time I hope to be able to mod the Glowing Sea out or make it a Lost Woods or something sensible, but it's the worst.

Charwo - I just found it amazing that they kept it unrealistically 'deadly' after 200 years.

All you have to do is go look at the A-Bombs that were dropped not 80 years ago and even at "Ground Zero", it is no longer a 'waste land'. Mt. St. Helens was thought to take many many decades to recover and it wasn't a year when Mom-Nature said, "Hello ... I am still in charge and I do not follow your models." ;)