Having problems using notepad++ as an editor

sh0ker

I followed the guide on the creationkit wiki to setup notepad++ to use papyrus.

The problem is with the compiler it always return these errors:

<unknown>(0,0): Unable to find flags file: TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg
<unknown>(0,0): unable to locate script basic

Tried to look for an answer on the internet but couldn't find the solution for it.

I did manage to find the file TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg and tried to copy it to the folder of the compiler but still it doesn't work.

Edit:

I managed to solve the problems thanks to the awesome people here, if you have the same issue just read through the posts!

Edited by sh0ker

You have ck installed and have extracted the source scripts? My TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg is In Data/Scripts/Source not in the compiler folder

Edited by FrankFamily

You have ck installed and have extracted the source scripts? My TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg is In Data/Scripts/Source not in the compiler folder

Yes that's where the file is, I just tried to make a copy of it in the compiler folder.

And I extracted a rar called Scripts but still the same error.

I am using this guide http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Notepad%2B%2B_Setup

is it outdated? should I do something else?

Edit:

Also another question, does this syntax also include SKSE? if not how do i setup it up ? and how do you script in papyrus do you use notepad++ as well?

Edited by sh0ker

Yeah, i use notepad++, and if i remember right i used that guide so should be fine.

Should cover SKSE, I'm not doing scripts using SKSE but the papyrus.xml on plugins/apis sais:

Includes events and functions, up to the stated version, from:
Skyrim 1.9.32.0.8
SKSE 1.6.16
SkyUI SDK 4.1

Skse support is old in mine but haven't updated the xml since i installed it... I guess on the wiki there's a newer one.

Now, have you adjusted the notepad++ run command to your path? if you have skyrim installed on a drive other and C and such. Double check that the path is pointing to your "Papyrus Compiler\ScriptCompile.bat"

And then make sure you edit the ScriptCompile.bat as the wiki sais, doesn't work by default.

Btw i'm using the basic quick compile, not the advanced one.

Edited by FrankFamily

Yeah, i use notepad++, and if i remember right i used that guide so should be fine.

Should cover SKSE, I'm not doing scripts using SKSE but the papyrus.xml on plugins/apis sais:

Includes events and functions, up to the stated version, from:
Skyrim 1.9.32.0.8
SKSE 1.6.16
SkyUI SDK 4.1

Skse support is old in mine but haven't updated the xml since i installed it... I guess on the wiki there's a newer one.

Now, have you adjusted the notepad++ run command to your path? if you have skyrim installed on a drive other and C and such. Double check that the path is pointing to your "Papyrus Compiler\ScriptCompile.bat"

And then make sure you edit the ScriptCompile.bat as the wiki sais, doesn't work by default.

Btw i'm using the basic quick compile, not the advanced one.

Yes I did, my skyrim folder located here : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim

here how my ScriptCompiler.bat file looks like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Papyrus compiler\PapyrusCompiler.exe" %1 -f="TESV_Papyrus_Flags.flg" -i="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Scripts" -o="C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts"
pause

Did I do something wrong?

I have had soooooo many problems getting all this stuff to work right, I have been told one of the issues might be that I have Skyrim installed in the default 'C' drive, and apparently that causes all kinds of errors like this because of user permissions and what not. Anyway, the solution for me was to end up using a tool called the Papyrus Compiler Plus. You may want to consider using it yourself. I'm no expert in scripting, I'm just getting started, but so far so good. The tool is really easy to use, and I'm planning on making a video on my YouTube channel soon showing how to install PCP and use it. Hope this helps you, and let me know if you have any questions.

I have had soooooo many problems getting all this stuff to work right, I have been told one of the issues might be that I have Skyrim installed in the default 'C' drive, and apparently that causes all kinds of errors like this because of user permissions and what not. Anyway, the solution for me was to end up using a tool called the Papyrus Compiler Plus. You may want to consider using it yourself. I'm no expert in scripting, I'm just getting started, but so far so good. The tool is really easy to use, and I'm planning on making a video on my YouTube channel soon showing how to install PCP and use it. Hope this helps you, and let me know if you have any questions.

It seems nice but how do I use it with notepad ++ ?

I finally figured it out, the problem was with the ScriptCompiler.bat

it takes 3 paths, the first is the path of Papyrus Compiler, the second is where you save your scripts and the compiler tries to read from there (TESV_Papyrus_flag also goes there)

And the third path is where the compiled files are sent

What I did is basically put the saved script in the right folder and the paypyrus flag in the same folder.

New problem, I get these errors

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\HelloWorldSCri
pt.psc(0,0): unable to locate script ObjectReference
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\Scripts\HelloWorldSCri
pt.psc(3,34): unknown type objectreference
pt.psc(4,4): variable Debug is undefined
pt.psc(4,10): none is not a known user-defined type

I think I will just use the CK to compile while I do any editing in notepad++

Sorry for posting again, but now I have these errors when I try to compile in the CK:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Keyword.psc(4,33): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Keyword.psc(8,45): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(27,49): unknown type globalvariable
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(28,34): globalvariable is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(28,1): type mismatch on parameter 1 (did you forget a cast?)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ActorBase.psc(4,15): unknown type class
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(12,66): unknown type globalvariable
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(13,12): globalvariable is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(18,34): globalvariable is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(18,40): cannot compare a none to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(18,40): cannot relatively compare variables to None
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(18,90): globalvariable is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(18,96): cannot compare a none to a float (cast missing or types unrelated)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(18,96): cannot relatively compare variables to None
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(135,58): unknown type globalvariable
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(140,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(144,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(148,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(155,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(158,62): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(159,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(169,31): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(173,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(176,33): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(179,36): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(185,28): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(200,71): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(205,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(208,57): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(229,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(232,48): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(236,33): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Quest.psc(241,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\LeveledItem.psc(13,24): unknown type globalvariable
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\LeveledItem.psc(14,40): unknown type globalvariable
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(48,15): unknown type light
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(49,24): unknown type light
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(51,22): unknown type effectshader
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(52,35): unknown type effectshader
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(54,22): unknown type effectshader
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(55,39): unknown type effectshader
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(57,20): unknown type projectile
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(58,34): unknown type projectile
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(60,19): unknown type explosion
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(61,32): unknown type explosion
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(72,23): unknown type impactdataset
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(73,40): unknown type impactdataset
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(78,28): unknown type imagespacemodifier
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\MagicEffect.psc(79,45): unknown type imagespacemodifier
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Race.psc(20,19): unknown type voicetype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Race.psc(23,52): unknown type voicetype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ActorBase.psc(55,24): unknown type class
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ActorBase.psc(104,19): unknown type voicetype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ActorBase.psc(105,32): unknown type voicetype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Game.psc(176,41): unknown type wordofpower
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Game.psc(251,57): unknown type imagespacemodifier
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Game.psc(257,31): unknown type wordofpower
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Game.psc(263,32): unknown type wordofpower
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Shout.psc(4,21): unknown type wordofpower
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Shout.psc(8,46): unknown type wordofpower
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(179,17): unknown type package
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Ammo.psc(9,20): unknown type projectile
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Weapon.psc(54,16): unknown type static
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Weapon.psc(55,33): unknown type static
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(293,45): unknown type associationtype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(454,28): unknown type idle
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(457,38): unknown type idle
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(721,32): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(721,51): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(733,29): unknown type package
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(737,30): unknown type package
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\Actor.psc(741,27): unknown type package
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(86,33): location is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(86,77): location is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(110,5): unknown type key
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(112,5): type mismatch on parameter 1 (did you forget a cast?)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(112,29): cannot compare a none to a int (cast missing or types unrelated)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(113,3): type mismatch on parameter 1 (did you forget a cast?)
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(242,18): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(245,15): unknown type scene
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(251,18): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(269,13): unknown type key
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(368,19): unknown type voicetype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(374,20): unknown type worldspace
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(388,41): unknown type locationreftype
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(465,90): unknown type encounterzone
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(477,45): unknown type impactdataset
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(517,19): unknown type topic
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(598,36): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(600,10): unknown type location
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(604,20): location is not a known user-defined type
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(665,67): unknown type projectile
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(822,24): unknown type referencealias
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\Scripts\Source\ObjectReference.psc(834,26): unknown type referencealias[]
No output generated for TestScriptWorld, compilation failed.