Question about switching animations

Heartcloud

I'm trying to get the DMC Stylish Animations to work, however every time I replace the animations under data\meshes\characters\_male, it replaces both player character and NPCs, which is not what I want. I then tried to drag all the DMC animations into characters\_male\specialanims, but that had no effect on both player and NPCs... so it either affects all characters or no one.

Does anyone know how the animation file directory works? What's the difference between characters\_male, characters\_male\specialanims and characters\_male\idleanims? Is there any way to change player animations only, without using mayus animation overhaul?

Thanks.

specialanims and idleanims were both folders added by animation mods. The game won't normally look there for animations. Any animation placed into _male the game will find, and use for anyone.

Does anyone know how the animation file directory works? What's the difference between characters\_male, characters\_male\specialanims and characters\_male\idleanims? Is there any way to change player animations only, without using mayus animation overhaul?

In the _male folder (i.e. the place where the skeleton resides: see MAO) you find all standard animations. You can replace them without modding, if the file name AND the AnimGroup name inside the file match. But it's the same animation set for all characters which share the skeleton. Male, female, player, NPC.

SpecialAnims is an extension of that. Every animation (except skill attacks) can be placed her. And the files may be renamed, so you have more than one of each. But to activate them you have to do some modding. For EACH character you want a specific animation to work you need to activate it. Either statically in the character'S NPC -> Animation tab, or dynamically with an OBSE script.

IdleAnims are totally different. In vanilla Oblivion they are used for all in-place animations like talk, scan, sit, sleep, ...To activate you have to define conditions under which they fire. Some mods (like DR) are defining movement and fighting animations as IdleANims to avoid the stringent, hard-coded SpecialAnims restricions. But that's for the REALLY skilled modders.

So if you want to use DMC animations without using MAO you have to make your own .esp file, or modify an existing one. With the CS. Copy (and maybe rename) the DMC animations into your SpecialAnims folder, and create/modify said .esp file by opening the player in the NPC window. Goto the Animation tab, and click all the DMC animations you want to add to the player. If you haven't made this before: it's not hard at all :thumbsup:

Thanks fore, helpful as always. =D

Hmm there doesn't seem to be an option to create a new .esp, so the only way to do it is to just load up Oblivion.esm, then make changes to that and save it as an .esp?

Yes, that's the way you make new a esp. Hope, you havn't installed on C:\Program Files :thumbsup:

Yes I never install games to system drive.

When I go to NPC -> Player -> Animation tab, it seems there are many duplicates of animation files. For example there are two "sneakhandtohandleft.kf", and the second one has a checkmark next to it. How do I tell which one is the DMC animation I dragged into specialanims folder and which one I should checkmark?

Also what are the controls like "lower body sequence"? And do I have to do the same for my companion if I want her to have the same DMC animations?

http://i.imgur.com/9ztxd.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by Heartcloud

If I recall correctly the specialanims will show a black check and the vanilla ones a red check in the CS (or possibly the other way around ... I'm not at my gaming machine to confirm for you).

Hmm ... all I've ever done is edit an NPC's animation tab and saved (my own stuff has only been to assign different walks for different NPCs).