Elevators... HOW THE %$^# DO THEY WORK!?

SalesKital

I just have a couple things to add information wise, since I could not find any other tutorials on these blasted things:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Don't use a linked reference keyword when linking the ElevatorMaster to the ElevatorHelper. I know the other guy said to use LinkCustom1, but you need to use that one for the ElevatorPanel instead (the button that's inside the elevator and moves with it). Furthermore the elevator would not move at all for me until I removed the LinkCustom1 keyword from the link to the helper.

2) You can only use one "LinkCustom" keyword per parent reference. Meaning like you can't use "LinkCustom01" on two different references both linked from the ElevatorMaster - the CK won't let you and will auto-remove any additional ones you try to add with the same keyword.

3) You can change the number that the elevator voice says for your floor by editing the properties of the script attached to the ElevatorMaster. The script actually has a bit of documentation for those properties (for once), but what it doesn't mention is that you can use a value of -1 to make the voice say "Basement".

*NOTE: edit the properties on the SPECIFIC reference that you placed into your cell, NOT the one on the base object or you will break the floor numbering for ALL the elevators in the game!!!

4) "In" doors are placed on the inside of the elevator and move with it, and CANNOT be opened by the player. "Out" doors are placed on each floor with access to the elevator shaft and CAN be opened by the player.

5) The order you add the various buttons and meters as linked references to the ElevatorMaster DOES matter quite a lot in terms of which keyword is used.
For example if you put in the elevator buttons in the wrong order, you may end up trying to call the elevator from the floor it's already on, which won't work. *See below for more info on this!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From LOTS of trial-and-error testing I have figured out what each "LinkCustomXX" should be used for. Since Bethesda did not use them in any particular order and they are also not consistent I had to just keep trying them and reverse engineering off of ones they'd already set up (as per usual...).

Also since Bethesda are WORLD CLASS idiots in terms of naming their sh*t logically, and even I had an EXTREMELY hard time finding ANYTHING that I wanted to use by their names alone in the Fallout 4 CK, I am gonna be nice and include screenshots of what I mean in cases where it may be "less than crystal clear".

- LinkCustom01: This needs to be linked to the *interior-facing* ElevatorPanel, which is the button on the inside that moves with the elevator. [Example]

- LinkCustom02: This needs to be linked to the *exterior-facing* ElevatorCallButton on your top floor. [Example]

- LinkCustom03: This needs to be linked to the *exterior-facing* ElevatorCallButton on your bottom floor. [Example]

- LinkCustom04: This needs to be linked to the *exterior-facing* ElevatorDoorOut on your top floor. [Example]

- LinkCustom05: This needs to be linked to the *exterior-facing* ElevatorDoorOut on your bottom floor. [Example]

- LinkCustom06: This needs to be linked to the *interior-facing* ElevatorDoorIn, the one that moves with the elevator. [Example]

- LinkCustom07: This needs to be linked to the *interior-facing* ElevatorMeter, the one that moves with the elevator. [Example]

- LinkCustom08: This needs to be linked to the *exterior-facing* ElevatorMeter on your top floor. [Example]

- LinkCustom09: This needs to be linked to the *exterior-facing* ElevatorMeter on your bottom floor. [Example]

- LinkCustom10: I'm actually not 100% sure what this one is for, but I think that it's used for an additional *exterior-facing* ElevatorMeter, like one that you would put on a floor that the elevator doesn't actually stop on so that it still lights when the elevator is moving. Or it could not have a use at all here, I don't know. I would probably say not using it would be better unless you know what it's for. *Shrug*

EDIT: One final note: I have no clue how to get the elevator voice to say "going down", as it always seems to say "going up" for me even when it's descending. As I've seen other user-created mods with the same exact issue, I honestly gave up... If anyone knows how to fix this, please do share. :X

I will add more info when/if I learn more!

Edited by UlithiumDragon

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragon any chance you have a packin for this crap ?

Im going nuts here...

I even place a default "public elevator " packin and it doesnt work as is for some reason.. i even tried to apply power (ingame) or add ambient power to the area and still nothing other than the outer doors opening..

Also how do i extend the platform helper to the top of a higher travel route?....do i just resize it ?? or is there a specific way of doing it and is there anything else i need to do with that action ?

@greekrage:

What's a "packin"? If that's the name of one of the controllers then I did not use it. I did the same as the guy a few pages back did: copied the elevator from the Boston Mayoral Shelter and worked off of that.

Does the elevator voice say "going _"? Do the call buttons turn green when you activate them? If not then you didn't hook up something correctly. If yes, then you probably hooked it up in the wrong order than from what I detailed above.

Also make sure you don't skip the step for adding the elevator master as the attached ref for all the objects that are supposed to move, or else they won't move. This includes the actual elevator object, the button panel on the inside, the internal door, etc. All need to have their attach ref set to the elevator master.

----------------------------------------------

As far as the platform helper goes, yeah just normal scaling seems to work perfectly fine. Sure the marker will end up looking huge or tiny in the Creation Kit's viewport, but that doesn't matter. Just make sure that both the top and bottom end markers on the platform helper are aligned with where the BOTTOM of the elevator would be on both ends. This means that it would be inside the elevator at the bottom point, but below the elevator at the top point.

Not sure I explained that very well, so lemme try and clarify: Don't align the endpoint to the roof of the elevator for the top floor.

Edited by UlithiumDragon

i tried a simple elevator packin (packin is a group ready to use ) and tried to modify it but it wouldnt work (thanks bethesda)

Then i tried a simple setup

platform (one floor tile ( i hope it didnt need any alterations to it like maybe check the "use as platform" in its settings cause i left it as is ) .

simple elevator master

Redrocket button x 2 ( one inside the elevator and one outside on the ground floor ) ( here it says to "chain" them but doesnt say how " do i link one button to another ? )

Platformhelper free

linked the master to the helper = linkcustom01 (the index of the master says to link this to the helper as well )

linked master to a button =linkcustom02

linked master to the platform = linkcustom05

then linked the 2 moving parts to the helper = no keywords

now im not sure if i did it right but it doesnt work...

Then i tried your method simplified with only 1 button and still zero...

btw... http://prntscr.com/d72zde

Just discovered that elevators are baked into the save ..

I put down all the ready packins and tried them and NOTHING worked then it hit me to try another save prior to the elevator tests...and all the packins worked

used a packin on a clean save and it worked like a charm (the utility elevator).

TheN moved it into place carefully selecting EVERYTHING and raising the helper to the right position and i have a elevator that moves about 5 floors in height .

I noticed that a lot of stuff now gets baked into your save files that really shouldn't, including things like object orientation.

For example, I had placed down an unpainted exterior door as the load door for an interior cell I was designing, but I wanted to change it to one of the painted load doors at one point. Problem was that the painted door's native angle is 90 degrees different from the unpainted door (for some dumb reason), and even though I fixed the rotation angle in the CK it would NOT re-rotate itself for any save that I have already had the load door rendered into at least once. I then tried a new save and an older save and they both had the door at the correct orientation...

This may only apply to persistent references, I'm not sure. But it means that I can't actively explore my work on my current save file until I'm 100% done making the cell... =.=

Edited by UlithiumDragon

This may only apply to persistent references, I'm not sure. But it means that I can't actively explore my work on my current save file until I'm 100% done making the cell... =.=

This is 100% correct, Persistent Ref's always get baked into your saves.

That's REALLY annoying then. Ug, it's always SOMETHING every game Bethesda. 1 step forward, 5 steps backwards. n.nU

Edited by UlithiumDragon

• 2 weeks later...

I have a number of elev's working in a mod, an interior location, move a elev to an outside location and it will not work ..this is just a FYI, may have something to do with location form ...I did not look that deep into the issue, I had a option other than banging my head against the concrete.