Need a new Gfx card

Well, today my gfx card died. and since I have no clue on what is out on the market I need some recommendations on which one to buy.

These are the specs on the rest of the hardware:

ASUS P5Q PRO, Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q9300, Corsair Powersupply 550W Bulk.

So it cant be a gfx that takes a lot of power either, I dont have the money to spend on both a psu and gfx.

and the maximum price I can give is not that much unfortunately, it's like 50€-80€.

Games I will play is fallout3, NV, Assassins creed 2, brotherhood.

Have found this one: Gainward GeForce 210 1024MB DDR3

costs like 42€ at a local store.

Would that work for my needs or is it too slow?

@lv000

When I look at the systemreqs for both fallout and assasins creed brotherhood, they both support the 200 series according to these links: 1 2

But I suppose you are correct lv000.

However, the gfx you recommended, is not available in on the onlineshops i use.

@Erik005

the radeon you recommended could be something for me to look up on. It seems like some shops close by is in the upper limit of my budget ;)

How about a GT430 than the 200 series? They are newer, so in theory more combatible. And costs like 60€ for me.

You could buy a good second hand card, Radeon HD4850/4870/4890 or gtx 260/275/285.

These are the cards you should look for initially you can find The HD5000 series secondhand if you're lucky.

Stay away from the gt430 and 440 the are pretty slow.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with erik the lowest card you want to buy from nvidia would be a 450GTX. With direct X 11 Coming into newer games anything lower than the 400 series will not last very long. anything lower than a 450 won't give you very good performance.

Let me tell you how nvidia card work with the name with colour coding

I'll use this card - MSI GTX 560 ti

MSI GTX 560 ti

This is the manufacturer. You can get stock Nvidia, you can get MSI, and you can get ASUS. These are some of the main ones to look for. The non-stock versions are usually overclocked and come with more stuff. EG the msi card comes with an extra fan on the card for instance and is much cooler than the stock 560.

The GTX means it's a gaming card, as oppoised to say an NVS card which is aimed at business.

This is the series; In this case this is the 500 series

The higher this number the more powerful the card will be, however it will also be more expensive, take more power and take up more space

This is only on a few cards it usually means the card has more CUDA cores but there's usually little noticeable difference in gameplay

I can't say much about ATI I've never used them. I've always been comftable with Nvidia as I know what i'm doing in regards to overclocking.

Some other things you'll need to check when buying a new card are as follows

• Your power supply unit PSU; How powerful is it. For most cards you'll be looking into at least 400 watts I recommend 500 wattsto be safe and always check with the GPU to see what your requires..
  • The space in your case. If you don't have the space for a bigger card you won't be able to use it.
  • Whether it's double or single slot. A double slot card will require 2 slots on your motherboard. Again do you have the space?
  • Price vs graphics. Most people will have a limit. If you're not prepared to pay you won't get the graphics you're looking for.
  • Is it going to be bottlenecked by other hardware in your system which isn't up to date.

Hope this gives you a little more insight.

I'll do a quick description for the Radeon HD series. The old ATI labelling and the new AMD labelling.

Radeon HD 5850

The series of the card. At the moment the higher the number, the newer the series.

The sub-series. The higher number, the better the performance. A 5830 will always(in theory) be better than a 5770. Before the AMD Radeon 6000 series, a 9 in this spot usually meant that there were two x800 GPUs in the card. A Radeon HD 5970 had two 5870 GPUs(though I think that they were 5850 GPUs.) I the 5000 series, 5800 was enthusiast/performance, 5700 was budget/midrange.

The class of GPU. A 50 is called PRO, and a 70 is called XT. The higher the number, the better the performance.

To move onto the Radeon HD 6000 series, ATI no longer exists. AMD retired the name and took over. The 6000 series is labeled somewhat differently. For example, the 6800 cards are the budget/midrange sub-series that the 5700 cards. Only the 6990 is a pure dual GPU card wereas the 6950 and 6970 cards are single GPU cards. The 6790 is a 6870 with a lot of features turned off, just like the 5830 was a 5870 with a bunch of features turned off.