New Companion Mod: Having a baby?

Saraphiene

Child Companion Quest Poll  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which quest option do you like the best?

• Having a child prior to being shot (Amnesia).
    • Having a child during gameplay (Radiation).
    • Having a child made from science (Incubation).
    • Finding an orphaned child (Adoption).

I've been looking at all the wonderful mods people have made and this idea came to me. What if you could have a kid and have that kid become an optional companion... obviously the kid would only be able to be knocked unconscious vs killed and they wouldnt be as over poweringly powerful as say Boone but I personally think this would be really cool. Now before you say it "who in the right mind would hand a gun to a kid?! Let alone take them into a dangerous hostile environment." In Fallout (1, 2, 3, and New Vegas) its a hostile world period, while we as parents today might not do this, a parent in this era might since refusing to do so could end up getting your kid killed. Not knowing how to fight, not being protected by you and not having a valid real life experience could do more damage then taking the kid "hunting" with you. So with that being said I as a mother of three, I feel comfortable with the idea of this mod, not everyone will but thats ok.

Continued below

http://www.fallout.ru/fallout/fan-art/pictures/fallout_to_children.jpg

Ok so basically i have four main quest/story ideas for this mod, here is where I'd like your advice and or vote on the three ideas.

1) Since you were shot in the head, amnesia is more then possible. Having a side quest that comes up while your out adventuring somewhere towards the beginning of the game, say Primm or Novac you discover your house you had before you were shot, the house has been ransacked and mostly destroyed. On the floor is a burnt corpse of your spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend (depending on your sex) and as you approach the corpse you hear a rattling sound inside a cabinet a few feet away. Inside the cabinet is your son or daughter traumatised and deeply in need of your affection. Your house was attacked by raiders and your son or daughter was able to survive using one of your stealth boy's and hiding in the cabinet. Its not safe for your kid to stay here and you have a bullet with Benny's name on it... time to teach your child how not to become the victim!

2) During the game there are a couple extra curricular events that can take place, any of which realistically could spawn this potential scenario. As a female character you get pregnant or as a male character you get someone pregnant, either which normally would take a long time until the baby would be born....without the inadvertent aid of toxic mutigen and radiation found around every corner of the game. Basically put after said "event" a quest would pop up the next time your character encounters radiation causing the nine month gestation to speed up to the next three days (if Ghouls and Super Mutants are possible due to radiation... well a fetus exposed to radiation with medical assistance could have excellerated growth). Within the three days a quest popup will suggest medical assistance suggesting the removal of radiation via doctor or radaway results in a baby being born that begins growing to childhood over the next 3 days. Within those next three days another quest popup suggests the child seeing a doctor about the continued excellerated growth or giving the child a radaway, in which case causes the child to stop growing abnormally. Failure to do any of these popups within the time (from original three days, or three days after birth) would result in the child dieing.

3) You come acrossed an incubation lab that could be activated with dna incubating a child, this quest could have several parts. Maybe one of which its a cloning incubator and its mising a vital component in which causes a child to be born with the very important memories of a recently deceased scientist, and your aid in the missing component brings the scientist back to life but something went wrong and now he/she is stuck as a child in desperate need of a parental figure to teach him or her to fight for survival? This option has many many applications and any ideas of advice is great!

4) You find an orphaned child in great need of someone to save them and help take care of them, teach them how to survive in this harsh world.

Ok so please comment, add within your comment which one of the four ideas you like best, add your own ideas and such.

Edited by Saraphiene

Ok so please comment, add within your comment which one of the four ideas you like best, add your own ideas and such.

wow, you won't quit before you've turned the whole wastes into girlie hell, will ya...? :-))

but i'm actually gonne have a kindergarten in freeside in one of my future mods, so if you can bring up the patience until i get this out, you could maybe just go there and pick one... ;-)

Edited by stevie70

Or...make it like fable and have a Wife and kid

Well that wouldnt work very well if your playing a female character... though I guess that would work, still... lesbianisn doesnt explain the kid entirely. And if I made it a husband and kid.. well most of the guys wouldnt download it whom arent playing female characters. See no matter which way you go it still conflicts with someone. also and Im really just curious, your forum handle.. is it Mr Speakers or Mrs Peakers.. thats a really crutial conjunction :P

wow, you won't quit before you've turned the whole wastes into girlie hell, will ya...? :-))

but i'm actually gonne have a kindergarten in freeside in one of my future mods, so if you can bring up the patience until i get this out, you could maybe just go there and pick one... ;-)

Not the whole wastes... just most of it!

Edited by Saraphiene

I like the tried and tested method, kid already.

The whole waiting 9 months can get a bit boring after a while, despite ingame time much faster than real time, it still means waiting god knows how many hours, though it might be sped up by radiation, chems, growth enhancing drugs etc.

Adoption is pretty easy thing to do as there is plenty of kids out in the wasteland and you can just creater some dialogue, scripts and bingo.

Making a kid, you may have to go throughout the whole romance thing, taking in factors like the perks involved "ladies man or what not"

I play a guy so the traditional way would be ideal, though It would be quite interesting for say if you were the experiement of some crazy Scientist and got preggers by the result of a strange experiement, Old World Blues would be a ideal setting or perhaps Alien Abuction and you where implanted with a alien/human hybrid.... heck it works for the Sims 2 & 3 xD

Im unsure really, not the scripting type..

Personally think the idea is abit crazy having a kid as a companion, because of the danger it would be put in (from an RP perspective) but I guess it depends on play style. General idea, adoption would probably be the best though, not very original but works the best and would probably be the most flexible and easiest to put into the game and create some story for.

Guess it also depends on player sex, if they are male, maybe a one night stand from a few years ago could come into play being told you have a kid or finding out somehow.

I like the Radiation idea, Being that radiation is a uncontrolable factor maybe a pregnancy is only a week or so, nature must continue its evolution. But how about adding it to one of the sex mods Prostition or Innuendo for humor. Cant make money if your female character is knockked up or your male character has support caps to pay or move the kid to your place with or with out the girl LOL

I always liked this idea but sadly have yet to see it done properly. Closest i've found was the adopting Bryan Wilks mod for FO3 - and at the end of the day a nineteen year old LW is more like an elder sibling than parent. Still, you can effectively treat him like a companion. You also sort of get a form of this, again sibling-like, with Sally in Zeta even though she never leave the ship.

I like the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' feel to the idea. A wasteland desperado, or Ranger, or even a Regulator whose kid comes along since they have no home or the father has a task that he can't abandon.

I've actually tended to play the reverse-this. I've used player.age agerace -1 to make me a kid, used player.modav to set all my physical S.P.E.C.I.A.L and combat skills to '0', and then taken a companion on to be the guardian. It works really well up til the point you get thrown into, say, Dead Money or the Pitt when it just makes the story twisted to the point of being unpleasant and you physically can't complete them without cheats since they expect the main character to be able to kick butt when push comes to shove.

When I do this however I try to keep the companion in character. Arcade because his compassion won't let him leave a child wandering alone. Cass to give her another purpose; and she is her late thirties without a family. Boone because of memories of his lost child and Bitter Springs. Lily is awesome for this. Raul makes some small sense with a little girl due to memories of his sister. Back in FO3 it was harder; all that really comes to mind is Charon because of the contract and perhaps Fawkes if you can ratonalize getting that far in the main plot without a companion already. Companion mods, like Lucy West, worked okay since int hat she effectively invites you to live with her.

If pregnancy came into it'd actually vote for two options. Shortcut (a few days) and a full-9-months version. Tracked by ingame date of course so that timeskips wouldn't result in a 2 year pregnancy. I roleplay my characters day-by-day and as realistically as possible. As such I would enjoy the nine-month-pregnancy rather than an immesion breaking week long pregnancy. I just wouldn't use it if short was the only option. What would ruin it would be the appearance of a fully grown child - immersion dead in the water. I'd prefer to have a bundle of cloth shaped roughly like a baby added to my inventory to 'place' in my home or even better a harness containing a baby that I could wear and pretend that my PC was looking after it. Maybe the ability to interact with the bundle and recieve a short randomized text box describing feeding or soothing the baby.

It never growing up isn't really a problem since it would require over a year of gameplay AFTER carrying it for nine-months for anything more to be required. Even my longest running characters haven't lasted more than six-months before I switched ideas. Still, the more fluff and immersion I can add the more likely i'll make a character I can play indefinatly.

Edited by Alixen

Well that wouldnt work very well if your playing a female character... though I guess that would work, still... lesbianisn doesnt explain the kid entirely. And if I made it a husband and kid.. well most of the guys wouldnt download it whom arent playing female characters. See no matter which way you go it still conflicts with someone. also and Im really just curious, your forum handle.. is it Mr Speakers or Mrs Peakers.. thats a really crutial conjunction :P

Personally Mrspeakers because i thought of what ever came to mind.

Edited by Mrspeakers