Blacksmith animation and AI help

So I have finally (with some great help from some folks) managed to get my blacksmithing mod set up which included player blacksmithing mechanics, player ore smelting, and a quest to get the shop and hire an employee and I have a couple last concerns.

1) I have duplicated the animation behavior for cutter the blacksmith from shivering isles successfully onto my blacksmith character so that when his "working" AI package is active (which places him with a heading aligned with his anvil and water trough) it will randomly play the animation of him hammering away and looking at his project, dunking it in the trough, etc. Problem is he has nothing in his hands. How can I get him to display a hammer and sword for instance?

2) At 5PM every night his "work" AI pack ends and his "eat" AI pack should begin, but instead he runs over to me and asks me to leave! He is classed as a merchantsmith, has no "offers services" AI pack and the cell is owned by player and none of his AI packs have any door lock/unlock controls on them at all. so what is causing the NPC to rush over and tell me to leave?

3) I wait a bit and come back in to find him walking across the room then suddenly vannishing and appearing at the area above (the room has a loft upstairs from the main floor) and he executes his sleep AI pack there. The next morning he gets up and starts walking toward the anvil but tries to go in a strait line which causes him to hit a wall rather than go around and go down the stairs. I assume this is a pathing node issue which I could address.

1) I have duplicated the animation behavior for cutter the blacksmith from shivering isles successfully onto my blacksmith character so that when his "working" AI package is active (which places him with a heading aligned with his anvil and water trough) it will randomly play the animation of him hammering away and looking at his project, dunking it in the trough, etc. Problem is he has nothing in his hands. How can I get him to display a hammer and sword for instance?

Hammer and claw is easy, You need to define both of them as "IdleObjects" in the CS, where you assign the name of your Idle Animation. Look for SEIdleObjectsBlackSmithHammer as an example, Every time you pick your idle your blacksmith will automatically use these tools.

Hammer and sword is much more complicated, since both use the right hand by default (I assume, without looking into it), If this is true you would have make a new sword mesh by weight painting (rigging) an existing sword mesh. Swords always are rigged to a special skeleton bone (Weapon), which is located at the right hand. You would have to change that to the left hand bone. Not that easy if you have never done it.

(2) You might try making the cell a public place. You might try checking out the blacksmithing package to see if it has some of the settings which cause an NPC to act like a paranoid and rude shopkeeper.

(3) The NPC teleporting and walking into walls sounds very much like you have not path-gridded the blacksmith shop. Click the icon with the red and blue squares and yellow lines to view your path-gridding and make adjustments.

Hammer and claw is easy, You need to define both of them as "IdleObjects" in the CS, where you assign the name of your Idle Animation. Look for SEIdleObjectsBlackSmithHammer as an example, Every time you pick your idle your blacksmith will automatically use these tools.

Ok, This kind of confuses me

I see the Misc Animobjects on the object pane which has SEIdleObjectsBlackSmithHammer and SEIdleObjectsBlackSmithClamp

and I see the Gameplay->Idle Animations-> .... -> CRAnimBlacksmithing(my copied Idle Animation Ref) which has the conditions to check that it is a certain NPC, is a certain distance from the anvil heading marker, a certain AI pack is playing and he isn't currently in dialog or persuasion mode, and it plays the animation of his motion perfectly (no objects in hand)

How specifically do I tie the two together?

(2) You might try making the cell a public place. You might try checking out the blacksmithing package to see if it has some of the settings which cause an NPC to act like a paranoid and rude shopkeeper.

what do you mean by "blacksmithing package" As far as AI packs go there is nothing that would cause this behavior. He is also not set up to "lock up" or "close" the shop in any way. I will try and make it a public space, that occurred to me last night when I was thinking about it. As far as scripts that are in place for this mod, none of them would be causing this. The only thought I have is that he's a "mechantsmith" character class and maybe there is something rooted in the core program there, but I thought the default close hour was like 8pm or something and not 5pm.

(3) The NPC teleporting and walking into walls sounds very much like you have not path-gridded the blacksmith shop. Click the icon with the red and blue squares and yellow lines to view your path-gridding and make adjustments.

Yeah, I expected as much. I fixed this but haven't been able to test it since every time I come in to observe him he rushes me hehehe

Edited by icecreamassassin

Ok, This kind of confuses me

I see the Misc Animobjects on the object pane which has SEIdleObjectsBlackSmithHammer and SEIdleObjectsBlackSmithClamp

and I see the Gameplay->Idle Animations-> .... -> CRAnimBlacksmithing(my copied Idle Animation Ref) which has the conditions to check that it is a certain NPC, is a certain distance from the anvil heading marker, a certain AI pack is playing and he isn't currently in dialog or persuasion mode, and it plays the animation of his motion perfectly (no objects in hand)

How specifically do I tie the two together?

Yeah, it's a little hard to understand the way it's designed in the CS. Pretty strange, to say the least.

Open up the OnimObject and you will see that it includes an Idle anim folder and an Idle anim name. That's the place where enter the folder name of the idle animation file (_male\IdleAnims) and the ID of your Idle Animation (CRAnimBlacksmithing). So every time the "Animation Object" Hammer is used with a different condition, it has to be defined as a new "AnimObject".

EDIT: concerning your 2nd problem you micht want to read the following Wiki: IsContinuingPackagePCNear

Yep, that fixed it alright. Now the guy is functioning like a champ, other than now he isn't reading his book when he sits down. there's nothing fancy here, the book reading should happen fine. I have him "Use item at" and indicate his chair (which he sits in just fine during the AI package) and have "books" indicated as the target object type but it doesn't seem to make him read. I even checked Umbacano for reference because he does it all the time :)

Yep, that fixed it alright. Now the guy is functioning like a champ, other than now he isn't reading his book when he sits down. there's nothing fancy here, the book reading should happen fine. I have him "Use item at" and indicate his chair (which he sits in just fine during the AI package) and have "books" indicated as the target object type but it doesn't seem to make him read. I even checked Umbacano for reference because he does it all the time :)

No, that's not the way animated reading works, "Use item" is the equivalent to what a player does on a mouseclick. Mouseclick book is picking up, and no animated reading.

So again: "book" has to be an AnimObject. Good news; there already is such an animated book, together with the necessary animation file. Bad news (for what you want to do): this animation is a standing animation. Without changing this animation, you cannot make your NPC sit. But I guess thats good enough !? :thumbsup: