PYFFI for the bewildered

MarkInMKUK

I've tried it both ways - it works equally well compressed and uncompressed. XP has a file size limit of 2GB, and even the main oblivion-meshes one isn't that large uncompressed so I don't think it matters much. The files are originally compressed (but I don't know what settings), but uncompressed SHOULD load a little faster I suspect. Edited by MarkInMKUK

If I uploaded the .BSA file, I'd be uploading something which was, for legal purposes, a piece of copyright material. The PYFFI Patcher is the closest you'll get to an uploaded .BSA - it changes JUST the binary content of the BSA files to make them into a copy of the processed file. But, as I said, it only works for the few files they have released patches for.

There IS a program called QuickPAR which can be used to patch files, and people could generate .par files from the processed files, compare with the original files, and create enough "blocks" of data to update the original file, then upload those ... but that'd be a whole new file format for the Nexus to handle. Unless and until Dark0ne approves that approach, I'm not even going to go there...

Mark, I don't see any problem. Many things we do do is based on copyright material. That's how modding works. ;)

With only a modified bsa no one could even come close to piracy. Ok, such a thing can certainly be decided by Nexus' "legal department". But with a modified meshes only bsa (everyone can easily merge this into the original one) noone will have a problem. And there are enough bsa files uplouded right now. As a modders' ressource...

If I uploaded the .BSA file, I'd be uploading something which was, for legal purposes, a piece of copyright material. The PYFFI Patcher is the closest you'll get to an uploaded .BSA - it changes JUST the binary content of the BSA files to make them into a copy of the processed file. But, as I said, it only works for the few files they have released patches for.

But with a modified meshes only bsa (everyone can easily merge this into the original one) noone will have a problem.

Erm - "everyone can easily..."? Really? I never knew there was a way to merge bsa files. Maybe by 2everyone" you mean "fully experienced mod makers".

Of course, if you choose that route, the PYFFI patcher already does that anyway, AND probably more efficiently

Edited by MarkInMKUK

Erm - "everyone can easily..."? Really? I never knew there was a way to merge bsa files. Maybe by 2everyone" you mean "fully experienced mod makers".

One of the easiest things. :)

- Unpack all files with bsacmd

- Replace your nif files in out folder

- Pack out folder

Matter of 10 minutes for those who have used bsacmd before. One only has to know those 2 flags involved. But you are making good readmes. ;)

You were talking about 6+ hours.

But you are right. It doesn't make sense to release your optimized files as a bsa.