Can't get my items into the game

evilneko

So I finally got a bug up my bum to re-make the pyrokinesis mod I used in FO3 for NV. Rather than look up instructions how to port an esp (probably involving remastering with FNVEdit I guess) I just screenshotted the relevant windows in the FO3 GECK and then used the pics as a guide to remake the thing in NV, and make a couple changes along the way. I figured it'd be cleaner that way, plus it wouldn't reference cells from FO3.

With my shiny new esp in hand, I check the form IDs in FOMM and fire up the game, expecting to blow Gun Runners sky high with a few well-placed fireballs, or maybe just shove a flaming fist up the ass of that one guy outside the booth.

Naturally it didn't work. I couldn't add my fiery mental weapons no matter what. I double-checked the mod index. I double-checked the form ID. I even added an item from another mod successfully. Then I noticed the error said "Invalid inventory object" -- not item not found. So I googled, and from what I found I got the impression that maybe the form ID was in conflict with another item. So I changed it in TESnip (you know, included with FOMM), since the GECK, in its infinite wisdom, has no such capability.

And that didn't work either. Worse yet it didn't seem to recognize the new form ID. It would say item not found, if I tried using the new form ID. If I tried the old id, it would say invalid. I double and triple-checked, in GECK and FOMM, the form ID shown was the new one I had assigned manually. I still couldn't get it to actually work.

Then I got the bright idea of actually placing the weapons into the world, and so I did, drag and drop and make sure they're on the ground and not below it and save the esp. And when I went to close the GECK, it crashed. I loaded the game, and nothing. The esp does have the new cell information, but the items sure aren't there.

Also for some reason, whenever the mod is last in my load order, at index 32, the game refuses to find it, old or new ID doesn't matter. If I move it up to 31 and use that index, no problem.

....Halp?

Today, I tried to place a plain vanilla item (specifically, a heavy incinerator) into the world. Nothing.

I wondered if maybe it was just the particular cell I was trying to place it in (near Gun Runners), so I tried placing one in Goodsprings. Nothing. :/

At least it didn't crash though.

I have verified I have the latest GECK (1.4).