AI hype

marharth

Something that makes me want to get Skyrim for sure, is the new AI system. It is being presented as being much better then oblivion and fallout, and even partly dynamic.

My main worry about Skyrim is that the AI system will fail completely.

What makes you think that it will fail?

Maybe that we heard much of this before Oblivion, but what materialized was robotic conversations about mudcrabs.

Edited by McMuffin

What makes you think that it will fail?

Maybe that we heard much of this before Oblivion, but what materialized was robotic conversations about mudcrabs.

An issue which was mostly due to the limited number of generic conversations, and a few of them being in a higher priority than the rest.

I suspect that the AI will be closer to that of Fallout... Where you have wider range of activities determined by a sandbox package, towns with a handful of notable persons and about a dozen or so fillers who just mill about. Just being a bit more dynamic.

I imagine that most of the AI changes will be those outside of towns, such as enemies doing more than running at you or shooting you with arrows all the time, blocking every third hit. Such as wildlife interacting and preying on eachother. Such as dragons and other things who really don't care much about the player and will fight other things first and may even run away after... Rather than the player vs. the world.

There was a lot of misleading stuff in the hype for Oblivion.

No, more like things that were toned down before release because important townspeople kept dying every time they went to eat something. Much of what they promised can still be done (try Nehrim sometime), it just isn't implemented in most of the normal game. It is still far and away more of an AI than was seen in Morrowind (where most NPCs never moved unless attacked, and never really talked to eachother).

Comparitively, Oblivion/FO3 still has a much more developed AI than almost every other game out there which doesn't manually script individual NPCs in detail.

There was a lot of misleading stuff in the hype for Oblivion.

No, more like things that were toned down before release because important townspeople kept dying every time they went to eat something. Much of what they promised can still be done (try Nehrim sometime), it just isn't implemented in most of the normal game. It is still far and away more of an AI than was seen in Morrowind (where most NPCs never moved unless attacked, and never really talked to eachother).

Comparitively, Oblivion/FO3 still has a much more developed AI than almost every other game out there which doesn't manually script individual NPCs in detail.

I don't just think of things like that, but since this is a discussion of AI and not 'What might not make it into the game this time' I got carried away when I said that.

You're right, though.

• 2 months later...

In ALL games of history, AI was ALWAYS a hype. Simply we never created a proper AI... So Skyrim will be same too.

One of the gameplay videos has a stealth attack secene in cave, there you see the other enemy doesn't make any reaction to attack! Just stand still waiting for arrow!... We call this "AI"(!)

In ALL games of history, AI was ALWAYS a hype. Simply we never created a proper AI... So Skyrim will be same too.

One of the gameplay videos has a stealth attack secene in cave, there you see the other enemy doesn't make any reaction to attack! Just stand still waiting for arrow!... We call this "AI"(!)

The AI detection was toned down for that specific demo, confirmed by people who played the game at Eurogamer.One guy even played through his demo using nothing but stealth and was discovered several times.