Mage's Staff Question

suzypike

Okay, I searched for this topic and couldn't find it anywhere---

I am at about level 20, a stealthy character who uses mostly archery with touch magic as a backup. I just now was able to enter the Arcane University and was told to make my Mage's Staff. I just saved right there because I have NO IDEA what I would want a mage's staff to do! I always have a weapon in my hand- 95% of the time, a bow, and occasionally a dagger. I don't think I would ever fight with a staff...

This is a one-shot deal and I don't want to mess it up. What should my enchantment be? :unsure:

I will appreciate any and all suggestions. :yes:

suzy

I am taking this information right out of a Game Faq I use, this info is for a lvl 17 character:

School of Destruction Staves:

Staff of Fire - 80 Fire Damage to Target - 40 Charges

Staff of Frost - 80 Frost Damage to Target - 40 Charges

Staff of Lightning - 80 Lightning Damage to Target - 40 Charges

School of Illusion Staves:

Staff of Paralysis - Paralyze Target for 8 seconds - 40 Charges

Staff of Charm - Charm 25 pts for 25 seconds - 40 Charges

Staff of Silence - Silence a Target for 15 seconds - 40 Charges

School of Mysticism Staves:

Staff of Soul Trap - Soul Trap a Target for 20 seconds - 40 Charges

Staff of Telekenisis - Use Telekenisis 40 feet 40 seconds - 40 Charges

Staff of Dispel - Dispel Target 40 pts - 40 Charges

You need to look at the kind of staff and figure out what would be best for you and your play style. I hope this helps you decide.

Edited by pincus

Okay- based on what I've read so far, I'm considering silence- defense against ranged magic would definitely be useful. Or lightening- for times when my bow is not a great choice, like when I'm running down the road.

I'm really afraid of vampires! I'm not sure why.. will silence keep them from turning invisible?

suzy

Vampires freak me out too, use a Detect Life ring, their invis is no problem; but if you snipe them from far enough away then no problem all the way around. I love head and neck shots. hehe

It all comes down to your style, I never end up using the staff. I use sr_super_hotkeys and I add the staff as a quick change key, but I still never use it. Just not my style, I would rather snipe them then slash who ever comes in close.

Edited by pincus

Vampires freak me out too, use a Detect Life ring, their invis is no problem; but if you snipe them from far enough away then no problem all the way around. I love head and neck shots. hehe

It all comes down to your style, I never end up using the staff. I use sr_super_hotkeys and I add the staff as a quick change key, but I still never use it. Just not my style, I would rather snipe them then slash who ever comes in close.

I play as a Wolven Anthros, so I have a Legendary Life Detection spell.... but still, I hit the ground running on all four paws as FAST as they can carry me if I even see a vampire! Usually out the cave/fort and up the road!!! :ohmy:

I probably won't use a staff either. I'm already so used to my current play style- bow/touch magic(destruction).

I think I'll use silence since shock spells are already my second line of defense and my destruction level is high. It'll give me a choice I wouldn't have otherwise. :smile:

Thanks!

suzy