Knowledge.

kvnchrist

What's the difference between a man who knows what he is talking about and one that thinks he knows what he is talking about.? How do we convince a person who is stuck on the supremacy of his own ideas, even when we see how destructive they are?

Does intelligence and education trump wisdom and experience?

Are those with a higher degree of intelligence somewhat obligation to society, to try and correct the errors of those less cerebral?

Do they have the right to flaunt the degrees they have mastered, and talk down to others, or should they, If they do enter into a conversation, respect those who they deem less informed?

(These questions have anything to do with anyone from this forum. The last time I posted this I had several people fighting as to who I was talking about. Believe me, if I have issues with others, I will not target anyone on the open board, but you darn sure can expect a PM.)

What's the difference between a man who knows what he is talking about and one that thinks he knows what he is talking about.? How do we convince a person who is stuck on the supremacy of his own ideas, even when we see how destructive they are?

Does intelligence and education trump wisdom and experience?

Are those with a higher degree of intelligence somewhat obligation to society, to try and correct the errors of those less cerebral?

Do they have the right to flaunt the degrees they have mastered, and talk down to others, or should they, If they do enter into a conversation, respect those who they deem less informed?

(These questions have anything to do with anyone from this forum. The last time I posted this I had several people fighting as to who I was talking about. Believe me, if I have issues with others, I will not target anyone on the open board, but you darn sure can expect a PM.)

Respect, honor, total use of the brain are from a by-gone age. People these days blindly follow ideals without question, which in turn makes any form of discussion into a crap flinging fest with little to no end without one side crumbling in and leaving. It's sad really, the loss of the sense of community, sickening really. I could go on for days about what's wrong in the world and how people turn a blind eye to it all. I'll leave it at that.

What's the difference between a man who knows what he is talking about and one that thinks he knows what he is talking about.?

The one who won't shut up is the latter and the former is the one who states the facts then walks away shaking their head in bemusement. :whistling:

What's the difference between a man who knows what he is talking about and one that thinks he knows what he is talking about.?

The one who won't shut up is the latter and the former is the one who states the facts then walks away shaking their head in bemusement. :whistling:

Hey, that's pretty good, thank you.

Most things you can get from experience you can get from education.

The main difference is one is hands on and many times experience will show you there are easier ways to crack a nut than those prescribed in a book.

I have friends on both sides of the equation. Those who are book smart and those who are experienced. It's not what is in their heads that makes them my friends. It is what's in their heart. I just added a new friend here and I will appreciate him for who he is, not just what he knows. Just like all the others

Most things you can get from experience you can get from education.

The main difference is one is hands on and many times experience will show you their are easier ways to crack a nut than those written in a book.

I have friends on both sides of the equation. Those who are book smart and those who are experienced. It's not what is in their heads that makes them my friends. It is what's in their heart. I just added a new friend here and I will appreciate him for who he is, not just what he knows. Just like all the others

You are correct that sometimes experience can help quite a lot, but in my eyes you can get most of what you need to know without that experience.

You should have knowledge before trying to get experience is what I am trying to say. You should learn how to crack that nut from a book first, but then you can develop your own ways to do it. I see it as a bad idea to go into something without much knowledge.

You can crack a nut just with knowledge, but experience will make it easier.

"People tend to think wisdom is different from logic for some reason. Logic and wisdom have very little difference.

Most things you can get from experience you can get from education."

Classic Marharthism....Lmao

People are correct... wisdom is different from logic...the difference between the two is vast; as for the latter half of your statement that lets you out on both counts. Experience is acquired by doing which is why it can not always be imparted through teaching, one could teach you to fencing but only experience would allow you to survive a duel.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."~ Lincoln

"People tend to think wisdom is different from logic for some reason. Logic and wisdom have very little difference.

Most things you can get from experience you can get from education."

Classic Marharthism....Lmao

People are correct... wisdom is different from logic...the difference between the two is vast; as for the latter half of your statement that lets you out on both counts. Experience is acquired by doing which is why it can not always be imparted through teaching, one could teach you to fencing but only experience would allow you to survive a duel.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."~ Lincoln

Care to explain how they are so much different? Logic is correct reasoning, wisdom is understanding the world. What's the huge difference between the two? If you have correct reasoning you will have a large level of understanding.

Education also means study, which can also have practice. Would you consider practicing by yourself with the use of knowledge a type of experience? I know for sure someone could survive a duel with the use of knowledge and self practice, you don't need to be directly involved in something to know what to do in the event of it happening.

Also you misquoted that. Plato said that, not Lincoln.

Edited by marharth

There are many examples that I could give you Marharth of the difference between book learning and experience. One in particular, would be that of childbirth. No amount of study will teach one how to go about giving birth. Only the experience can do that. Fortunately for you, this is an experience that you cannot and will not ever have. There is no logic involved here, this is just plain fact. The wisdom comes from the experience.