Is Skyrim over-hyped??

harowan

It's not the company that's creating the hype, its ourselves. The company is only giving us information, we decide if it's exciting or not, and some people imagine that it is a lot more then it actually is.

With that said, I say that I am over-hyping it for myself. I never was that excited for anything, so we'll see if it will reach expectations.

I've been staying optimistically cynical myself, meaning it will probably not be as cool as it all sounds, but I am hoping it will be :D

I admit to being curious of certain aspects, such as romance and marriage. this is hardly Bethesda's strong suit (In Morrowind if male you got Ahnass the Khajiit, if female...nothing. And if you had, it probably would have been some guy old enough to be your character's dad or something :P) Continuing the example, when they announced it, my cynical side thought:

It will likely be male only, and if there is a female option, the male will be nowhere near as attractive as the female, won't be written as well, etc.

My more optimistic side thought, 'Oh cool! That could be kind of fun.'

But I didn't create hype for myself. Been burned a time or two by hype.

It's as hyped as you make it.

I would say as a general rule of thumb, don't give in to the hype. If the game turns out superb, then it's a pleasant surprise. If it's mediocre, then you're not disappointed.

Something to keep in mind is that companies will generally over-hype their games. It's not that they're trying to be deceiving but lets be honest, no company is going to advertise their game by saying, "Well in Skyrim we've managed to improve the AI a little bit. We tried to give the NPCs random events, but ultimately failed and they still repeat the same tasks all day. The graphics are a definate upgrade from Oblivion but disappointing compared to other 2011 games." (note - that was just an example! Not my views on Skyrim!!)

However, all that aside, I think that one's hype should be based on past experience rather than developer claims. Did you love Oblivion? If yes, then you'll surely love Skyrim. Read all the features being added, sure, but that's just icing on the cake. If you didn't like Oblivion (or the other Elder Scrolls games) then reserve judgement until playing and don't overhype yourself :thumbsup:

Just do what I do. Pretend that Skyrim is Oblivion. Then you will be happy with the game when you get it. If you are constantly onthis site checking for info, 1) it will definitely lead to overblown expectations and 2) you will buy the game already knowing pretty much everything about it, which really kills the surprises and fun. For instance, we have all heard about the Radiant AI. If you follow every bit of info about it, you will no doubtedly expect superb perfection, which is impossible. Then you will be not as happy with the game. However, if you didn't even know about Radiant AI, you will be really pleased that while it may have problems, it still is a great improvement over Oblivion and Fallout. I suggest that to get a better playing experience, you should stop reading into the game. It is only 3 months away, anyways. Not much waiting left.

Hey... I was impressed only of what I saw.. how nice the characters moved, how natural everything seemed... I mean... finally swinging your sword doesn't look like dony by a robot.. .I mean, even the power swing in Oblivion seemed robotic... Just hope it allows me freedom....

I know what to expect. I will intentionally find bugs and try to break the games boundaries. I'll notice how inhuman the NPCs act before forcing myself to get into my RPG mindset and ignore it. I'll look at blotches in the textures and take note of strange geometry. I'll scrutinize everything just a little bit.... and then I'll love and play the game just like I did Oblivion. We've been told exactly how aspects of the game will be. I hope that Bethesda uses this engine enough to master it so that future Elder Scrolls and Fallout games will be all the better.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

My sig contains an example of how Oblivion suffered from at least some over-hype. See below.

But if you think about it, really, is any game going to have 'hundreds of ways' to do something? Maybe 10-12 at the very most, I am thinking. So even though that is straight out of Todd's mouth, it still should have been taken with a few boxes of salt ;)

well,... I think this question gets asked about every good game that gets released. And truth be told, in most cases where people are excited about it and stressing all it's good qualities, it is definately being 'over-hyped'

but, same could be said about many other games, celebrities, singers, and nearly everything else thats worth getting excited about.

I don't know if it's really a topic worth dwelling over, as there is no real answer either- as many have pointed out, you give it the hype you think it deserves.

I have a certain respect for bethesda for making modding so easy, so even tho they already screwed over Skyrim in some regards(in my opinion), I can't help but still be excited for everything right they did do, and rest easy in the knowledge that most undesirable elements will be modded.

I think it's safe to say, for me at least, the modding community is why I love elder scrolls and why I am excited for Skyrim- it deserves 'hype' for that!

EDIT: out of any game I have ever played, none has stolen as much time as a good elder scrolls game-you get your moneys worth with bethesda

Edited by El`derina