Weapon display/sorter/storage

Deagroth

After looking through several sites for a good mod with which to store and display my weapons and armor, I am sad to say that most of the mods for such things are disappointing. Either they do not have enough room, they have way too much and cause a severe drop in fps, or they are poorly designed. With this in mind, I was inspired by a mod called: Ingredient Storage Shelves, by Daleth.

This gave me the idea that maybe someone who knows what they are doing with modding could make a mod so that weapon racks can be used to store weapons like a chest, but actually display the items as if they had been set on it (though they won't be able to be moved or interacted with unless you retrieve them from the rack/chest inventory). Armor display has already been dealt with via Reznod's Mannequin mods, but sometimes you just want to see a weapon sitting there on a rack, not actually held by anything in order to better show off it's looks.

Display cases have gotten on my last nerve, as some of the weapons I get either from vanilla or mods don't seem to like it when the cases are closed (i.e. the havoc engine gets to have fun sending them flying all over the room) which can really get annoying when you spend several minutes positioning the weapons only to have them all sent soaring across the room, ruining your work.

If any modders out there think they can pull this off, good luck to you!

The biggest problem with using some sort of display case is that occasionally the game decides to remove everything you've painstakingly arranged inside them. It's rare, usually only happening if you havn't visited your house in awhile, and have been loading alot of seperated areas (more noticable if you have SI since people tend to do all the areas within SI without periorically going back to Tamriel).

That said, trying to lock an item in place doesn't work. you can't dynamically attach scripts to items, any scripting would have to be added to each and every item. Additionally, having a few dozen scripts which would record and maintain the position the item was placed at would certainly cause performance issues, as well as being very hard to do. Even then, they would still be affected by havok between the scripting cycles constantly springing out of their cases, then popping back to spring out again, which would very likely crash the game, or atleast affect performance even more.

Using display cases for anything other than an NPC owned shop simply just doesn't work well.

• 4 weeks later...

For easier positioning and locking things down, try Decorators Assistant.

For some newer weapons racks try Loths Better Weapons Racks.

However, Loths is a modders resource and WIP (Work In Progress) right now. You have to use the construction set to place them and he is still working on it, adding new racks and changing the first ones.

Archived