G.E.C.K. Won't load FalloutNV.esm

Ok so the problem is that I was a modder for Fallout New Vegas but then I got bored with the game so I uninstalled it and the G.E.C.K. Well I came back to the game and I want to mod some more but the G.E.C.K. will not load FalloutNV.esm (the main file). I start up the G.E.C.K. go to File and then Data,,, select FalloutNV.esm and press ok. Nothing happens. No errors. No indications that it was even trying to do anything. I go back to Data... and I see that FalloutNV.esm is unchecked. I have tried running it as administrator still nothing. I am sure that I installed the right G.E.C.K. too and not the Fallout 3 one. I also know that I installed it right. What's wrong? Please help. Note: I did NOT attach my copy of Fallout New Vegas to Steam and do not want to. The G.E.C.K. is not on Steam either and I don't know if there is even a version of the G.E.C.K on Steam.

Actually, the game won't install unless you let the installer run Steam, even though it installs from the DVD, unless you are installing a less than legal copy.

I bought a perfectly legal copy of it from GameStop. My friend installed it so I don't know how he did it, but he doesn't like Steam and neither do I so he must have done something to it but I assure you it is legal. This topic is not about how I have it without Steam the topic is about how to fix my G.E.C.K. The G.E.C.K. worked before I uninstalled it. Now that everything is reinstalled it no longer works.