Open Cities opinions?

Lehcar

Has anyone else tried playing with an Open Cities mod? How was it for you? Did you enjoy playing with it?

I tried it and I really liked it, cause it was more like our beloved old Morrowind's cities, but unfortunately I just couldn't use it. Open Cities + FCOM = big bad nasty mess. Humongous Minotaur lords (more than twice my male Breton's height) kept busting through the gates and massacring all the cities, cause obviously the poor guards and beggars are no match against these monsters. Even though I like to kill people, I couldn't bear watching everyone get slaughtered like that (and plus it seriously threw the game off balance, because the non-generic NPCs that are usually found in cities never respawn or get replaced like they do in other games). Pretty soon all the cities in my game became virtual ghost towns, which was really awful. Need to keep the cities closed so we'll be safe, everyone won't be killed. :(

Edited by Lehcar

Yeah, there was the numerous compatibility issues too (though I didn't encounter anything noticeably major while I was trying it out). I don't think Open Cities and FCOM are actually incompatible though, it's just that FCOM adds a LOT of non-leveled, insanely powerful monsters around Tamriel that will attack almost anything they see, including random NPC's (like those scary minotaurs that kept spawning very close to the gates of several cities, especially Bruma) . Said NPC's try to flee, and then they lead the monsters into the city, where they proceed to nearly wipe out the local population. No good, don't want that happening. This is why I often see the corpses of bandits and other random outlaws strewn all over the roads, because they had an unfortunate encounter and were killed by some wickedly strong beast. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/teehee.gif

Hmm, you could make a little script, which closes the gate at the moment a strong creature appear. Maybe create an invisible activator, which will be activated if a creature that is higher than X level passes, and when it's activated, it'll close the gate. I'm not sure if this is doable, but I think it is.

You could take an alternate approach and put a bunch of custom unleveled level 45 guards with 3000 Health guarding the gates of your open cities. That ought to be enough to defend the population. You would need to do a bit of play-testing to make sure you had enough guards at each city. You wouldn't want to play as a thief or assassin though, if there were all these tough guards walking around. Edited by David Brasher

Run close to the bad guy, press the ~ key to open the console, click the bad guy (make sure you have him selected by checking the name at the top which shows your currently selected object), type disable. The bad guy should disappear. Another simple command is kill, but I prefer disable so I don't get tempted to loot the bodies.