Random Freezes in Interior Cells

Selohos

Hello, All. I am having problems with random Freezes. Or perhaps Semi-Random is more appropriate: It has only ever happened in interior Cells, after a random amount of time, when I am not using a Container, or shop, Terminal, or Talking to a character. It has happened once right before opening a metal box in the water plant in Megaton, once right after putting my medicine bobble-head on the bobble-head stand in my megaton home, once while wandering about in the aforementioned water plant, once while wandering about Craterside Supply, and several times in the Alternate Start shack.

While crashing in the shack, I first tried disabling my Weather mods (I was running 2 at the time unintentionally. I had misunderstood the instructions... I think. I am still not sure on the whole thing lol) but upon making a new merged patch and rebooting, it happened again. So I disabled MyDog (Removing the weather mod, which I had never used before, And also removing MyDog, the only mod to go through an update that I had ran before) I made another merged patch for this setup but it still crashed. At which point I rushed to the terminal as soon as I could, set my specials etc. etc. grabbed the medicine bobble and then dashed to the bed. After which I was able to reactivate the mods and play with no problems until I started going into buildings again.

After a few more of the crashes, I revised the load order. That and some omitting of erroneously added esps seems to have made things more stable, but has not solved the issue. I will post my load order, and such.

FO3 GOTY edition (1.703), no Unofficial Patch. PC Specs: nVidia 9800GT 2 Gcard Sli, 4GB DDR2 RAM, WinXP Prof SP3, 2.4 Ghz Quadcore. DirectX is up to date. The OS is 32-Bit, however the rig can run a 64-Bit OS. (It came with Vista 64 bit. PC was hand built, but not by me. I bought it off the guy who did build it, though.)

Load Order:

[X] Fallout3.esm

[X] Anchorage.esm

[X] ThePitt.esm

[X] BrokenSteel.esm

[X] PointLookout.esm

[X] Zeta.esm

[X] CRAFT.esm

[X] CALIBR.esm

[X] xCALIBR.esm

[X] EVE.esm

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esm

[X] MyDog - Globals (keep this active).esm

[X] MyDog.esm

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Alternate Travel.esp

[X] Enhanced Weather - Rain and Snow.esm

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather.esm

[X] DarNifiedUIF3.esp

[X] FPS Knife Hotkey.esp

[X] Combat Style Perks.esp

[X] Double Perks.esp

[X] eyepatches-english.esp

[X] BlackWolf Backpack.esp

[X] sunglassescollection.esp

[X] BSCE V2.esp

[X] Laurens_Bathroom_poetry_V1.esp

[X] GalaxyNewsRadio100[M].esp

[X] Weighted Bottlecaps [Normal Version].esp

[X] UsableCigarettes neunen version.esp

[X] TinCanCRAFTing.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp

[X] FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (BrokenSteel).esp

[X] WeaponModKits.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp

[X] WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp

[X] CRAFTable_WMKs_lead_pipe_no_assault_rifle_and laser_pistol.esp

[X] EVE.esp

[X] EVE Operation Anchorage.esp

[X] EVE - FWE Master Release (Follower Enhanced).esp

[X] EVE Anchorage - FWE DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] EVE - FWE with WeaponModKits.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp

[X] Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + DLCs.esp

[X] xCALIBRammo_FWE.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Main.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Anchorage.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - The Pitt.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Broken Steel.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Point Lookout.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Rain.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Green Tint Remover.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Sandstorm.esp

[X] Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Sandstorms Damage Armor.esp

[X] Merged Patch.esp

If using the full blown Weather Mod is hopeless, I don't mind just scrapping it so long as there is another mod that will make the nights darker than sin. I know the mod Xepha's is based on does that, however idek if it does that to DLC Locations.

Also, I am full aware that Useable Cigarettes conflicts a little. However, I had it around before this problem existed and everything worked fine (Better than fine, actually. Smoking a Cigarillo while causing explosions is totally BA.)

AlsoAlso. I know Alternate travel should be lower (like. With the other FWE .esps), but FOMM is like "Dude, I don't care if you know it's an esp, it's totally an esm in DISGUIIISSSEEEEE" and always keeps it's mod index as if it were. That is to say that the only difference in where it is seems to be that it will either load before or after the weather mods (Unless I am wrong and Mod Index =/= load order)

/walloftext

Selohos - Hello!

The fact you have a quad core, the freezing mainly in interior cells & the randomness are classic symptoms of the Fallout 3 multi core bug.

Fallout 3 has trouble with multi core computers, mainly with ones that have more than two cores & use hyperthreading.

You can fix that by editing your .ini, the one you want to change is:

For XP:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

For Win7:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

& change this line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

to:

bUseThreadedAI=1

& insert this line under it:

iNumHWThreads=2

Save & close your ini.

As far as your load order goes, you're missing the Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Releases.esp from FOIP.

Untick & remove Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp as it should be replaced by Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Releases.esp.

That portion of your load order should end up like this:

Mart's Mutant Mod.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Releases.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + DLCs.esp

Leave your Mart's Mutant Mod.esm alone, it's fine where it is.

Hope this Helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Thank you soooo much. You are my favorite new acquaintance for today, and rank highly for all time. Which is saying a lot because the other new people I have met today diagnosed me with strep throat and gave me pain killers so I could fall asleep. I also believe you probably fixed the problem between me and iguanas. In fact I am almost certain of it. I most likely no longer need to live by the five tenants! nonotthosefive.thesefive.

The five tenants are as follows:

Do not attempt to drop the Iguanas. To do so is to invoke the wrath of the game.

Do not attempt to sell the Iguanas. To do so is to invoke the wrath of the game.

Do not attempt to store Iguanas in your refrigerator. To do so is to invoke the wrath of the game.

Do not attempt to shoot the Iguanas. To do so is to invoke the wrath of the game.

Do not attempt to feed the Iguanas to MyDog. To do so is to invoke the wrath of the game.

Thank you once again. Hopefully everything is solved and I don't have to come back and bother the forums again.

Edit:

Well. Drat. I am experiencing even more regular crashing. I started playing on my old save at first, but it CTDed each of the 2 times I tried to load the Auto Save before sleeping: I loaded the auto save because it had froze soon after that last night and I just didn't wanna play anymore. Luckily I had manually saved right before sleeping as well, and that loaded without the CTD. I then wondered about Megaton waiting for Moria to get her lazy butt out of bed (I had to do some Inv. Management so I didn't use the wait function). I then got distracted by a large barrel and decided to play kick the can with it. After a while, the game Crashed with an error report (a REALLY REEEAAALLY long one). I chalked this up to the save being "Corrupt" from changing the esps around, so I made a new character. I got her all set up, and found myself outside of regulator HQ. I stood and waited for all the junk to finish popping up as there were a few vicious dogs running about outside and I didn't want Sonia to go crazy and run off. It was then the dogs went to attack me. I fired (not in V.A.T.S.) but the game crashed right before my laser pistol went off. I can post the error stuffs, but I think I would be better off to wait until someone asks because it is HUGE and idek if it would actually be of any use. I will see about causing the crash some more later. I am taking a Vicodin and a nap lol.

Edited by Selohos

Well, I would highly recommend to turn Fo3's own autosave features off.

If you want to have something similar, I'd recommend CASM

I'm assuming you followed Prensa's recommendation to replace Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp?

Did you make a new merged patch afterwards?

If using the full blown Weather Mod is hopeless, I don't mind just scrapping it so long as there is another mod that will make the nights darker than sin.
If there's 1 mod that makes your nights really dark, it's Fellout (yes, it's compatible with weather mods)

AlsoAlso. I know Alternate travel should be lower (like. With the other FWE .esps), but FOMM is like "Dude, I don't care if you know it's an esp, it's totally an esm in DISGUIIISSSEEEEE" and always keeps it's mod index as if it were. That is to say that the only difference in where it is seems to be that it will either load before or after the weather mods (Unless I am wrong and Mod Index =/= load order)
Yes, FoMM automatically puts plugins which it sees as .esm's above your .esp plugins.

I'd recommend to run FO3Edit in masterupdate mode to "fix" it. Well, it doesn't really "fix" it. It just .esm-ifies all your plugins. Thus removing this issue.

Selohos - Hello!

BlackRampage's "Did you make a new merged patch afterwards?" is definitely something to remember after making any changes to your load order (even if it's just changing it's order).

If you keep getting CTD's with your current mods, try turning off a mod at a time & see how you run. Keep doing this unitll the crashes stop & you'll have located the troublemaker.

I see your on WinXP, make sure you applied that .ini fix to the correct .ini file.

The one you want is in:

My Documents\My Games\Fallout3\

& is called FALLOUT.ini NOT the one with Default in the name.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Le Gasp! I forgot about my ails until just now. To be honest, I got distracted by Mass Effect 2 and my girlfriend. I was reminded because I decided to boot FO3. Thank you for helping me get it stable... I think. I managed to play it for a few hours without everything going boom (this was right after the few seemingly consistent crashes, and after making 2 new characters) so I think those were just... Idek. anyway, the random crashing seems fixed... probably. (Lol, I am so confident.)

@BlackRampage: I did change the load order; it is what it should be now. I also made a new merged patch. I am turning autosave off as I am typing this. I will try the FO3 Edit fix If I run into more crashes. I also think I will look at Fellout if that doesn't solve things. (Or if the flickering gets on my nerves. Which it is VERY close to doing.)

@Prensa: Yup. I got the correct file. I checked to make sure when I read that: No matter how much experience one has (or lack thereof), mixing up two similarly named files happens.

My new issue, which I think I mentioned before—although it doesn't look like it, and I am too lazy/tired to re-read everything I typed atm—is that SOMETHING is adjusting for the brightness of what I am looking at. It's not the monitor, computer settings, or anything else I thought it could be; so it has to be the game and/or a mod (likely the weather mod).

My NEW new issue is that I recently got my 5.1 surround sound system working. I've been having small issues with sounds and sound channels cutting out. Namely that ME2 has no subwoofer, but I know this is a ME2–Realtek Audio problem which I am trying to fix. In FO3 all channels work: however, V.A.T.S. seems to cut out some sounds from my energy pistol.

The flickering has GOT to be solved, either through me getting help fixing something or just breaking something, but the sound is almost a non-issue (I can't really do anything but watch in V.A.T.S. anyway.)

Thanks again.