Suicide

Jopo1980

5 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had suicidal thoughts?

• Yes, frequently.
    • Yes, some times.
    • Yes, rarely.
    • Not at all.
  2. 2. What stops you from committing suicide?

• Love for others or self and empathy.
    • Fear of death or something else.
    • Reason and logic.
    • Forcible means by society. (protective custody etc.)
    • Lack of a proper method. (a gun etc.)
    • Other.
    • Hope.
  3. 3. Are suicidal thoughts indicative of a mental illness?

• Yes, definetely.
    • No, not necessarily.
    • I don´t know.

OK, Under this thread you can discuss and debate EVERYTHING related to suicides.

I will begin with this:

Human beings are at least to my knowledge unique in their capability to self-destruct. Why is this so? What neurobiological processes allow us the free will to commit an evolutionarily disastrous act? This question should get the attention of all those who believe that science can answer anything. :biggrin: What cerebral processes are required for suicide? How can suicide be explained under evolutionary theory?

If suicides can be explained by a lack or overabundance of certain neurotransmitters, then can suicidal thoughts be cured with a pill? Or, can we in the future have a pill that inhibits suicidal actions and thoughts? Further along this line, would you advocate forcibly medicating suicidal people with such inhibitory medication "for their own protection"? (I´m sure they will thank you later when they see the beauty of life again. :thumbsup: )

OK, I have been committed to the loony bin 3 times for "Psychotic Depression", each time "For my own protection". It was the worst waste of my time that I can think of, being restricted in every way. But as for me, my suicidal ideas are fueled by logic, although some might consider it rather twisted, so I don´t consider them to be a symptom of my illness.

Furthermore as I have stated in my other thread, I consider suicide to be a personal right that each of us has, but one which the society will go to any length to stop us from using, including locking us up, again "for our own protection".

If someone commits suicide , they always blame some illness or claim that the deceased was "unstable" or something, but I see it as a personal choice, the last one you will make on this earth if you go ahead with it, but still a choice.

@VictoriaG: They say time heals all wounds. I see you have some talent in making mods and art. Hopefully you will be able to put aside all thoughts of self-destruction and keep making mods getting better and better at it over time. :thumbsup:

@Flintlockecole: You are over 10 years younger than I am, about the same age than my cousins. Suicide in youth is a tragedy, when you haven´t even seen all the possibilities that life has. With good likelihood you will someday be glad that you put aside all those dark thoughts and kept on living.

So does anybody have anything on the scientific explanations of suicide? Why are we the only species capable of it? You don´t see birds flying against windows on purpose, do you? One of my friends suggested that it may be "an evolutionary culling mechanism" removing undesirables from the gene pool.

OK, Under this thread you can discuss and debate EVERYTHING related to suicides.

I think not.

And don't even think about starting another one.

I freely admit I'm not the most objective person when it comes to this topic, but I will have the last word anyway. Suicide is the coward's way out. All it does is leave everyone behind picking up your pieces.