Far Harbor: Using the BOS to fight Acadia

Deleted4363562User

Nope... never saw that.

I was in a underground medical thingy.. VIM i think it was called.. talked to some intercom, that said to bring nick... so i got and brought nick.. but nothing happened, thingy stayed silent.... and more of that nonsense...

I suspect there will be things that i didn't find.. but by that time i couldn't be arsed to go look for them... i was already bored out of my skull.. which is sad... i was looking forward to wiping that atom religion of the face of the world.. since i hate any kind of religion... but no...

I will wait for a miracle... which also never happens.

Dude, you can totally wipe them out. It's great.

Dude, you can totally wipe them out. It's great.

Indeed. :) I've been saving the final quests until the very end, much like I did for the final quests for the main game. I've got all the last options ready to go and I'll have a crack at them all from the same saved point and then just reset. :) Not sure which to start with, Children of Atom nuclear launch code mission sounds fun. :D

EDIT: Sorry I didn't address this before, but even if the synths are only an AGI and an equivalent to human intellect, their bodies are not totally made of biological material; they have synthetic parts. If a human brain was somehow made up of a digital or fiber optic medium, it would be far more efficient and superior to that of a normal human brain because it could transfer and manipulate data much faster. This partially explains why Dima started off as something primitive and became something more advanced in a relatively short period of time. In short, the run away AI scenario is still a very real threat.

Sorry, but not even close. Human brain is almost infinitely greater than any computer. I will not bore you, but read if you will http://scienceblogs.com/developingintelligence/2007/03/27/why-the-brain-is-not-like-a-co/

EDIT: Sorry I didn't address this before, but even if the synths are only an AGI and an equivalent to human intellect, their bodies are not totally made of biological material; they have synthetic parts. If a human brain was somehow made up of a digital or fiber optic medium, it would be far more efficient and superior to that of a normal human brain because it could transfer and manipulate data much faster. This partially explains why Dima started off as something primitive and became something more advanced in a relatively short period of time. In short, the run away AI scenario is still a very real threat.

Sorry, but not even close. Human brain is almost infinitely greater than any computer. I will not bore you, but read if you will http://scienceblogs.com/developingintelligence/2007/03/27/why-the-brain-is-not-like-a-co/

Nothing to be sorry about. :huh: But you don't seem to understand what an AGI is or the theoretical subject matter. If an average human intelligence were placed into a digital medium, or in other words, a human brain taken from a biological form to a digital one, it would perform several times faster. Your synapses do not fire at anywhere near the speed of light, but if somehow they could, connections would be made faster. Your overall intellectual performance would increase.

The problem with AI to date is that it is extremely narrow and not broadly focused. For example, a calculator (very narrow AI) is better and faster than most people at solving basic and complex math, but it can't write a book, or even a letter. This is rapidly changing though, as there are even algorithms now doing the job of paralegals and writing short articles in sports outlets. As AI becomes more adept at a broader base of things, it will outperform even the smartest humans.

The scary thing is actually what happens when we achieve an actual AGI. Because it will be artificial with something akin to fiber optic operating speeds, once it achieves humanlike intelligence, it will start making huge advancements. Basically it will advance faster than we can keep up. Within days it would be smarter than the smartest human. Within months, comparing us to it would be like comparing us to chickens. Within years....

This is somewhat long, but I HIGHLY recommend any fan of Fallout 4 to read this.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

Nothing to be sorry about. :huh: But you don't seem to understand what an AGI is or the theoretical subject matter. If an average human intelligence were placed into a digital medium, or in other words, a human brain taken from a biological form to a digital one, it would perform several times faster. Your synapses do not fire at anywhere near the speed of light, but if somehow they could, connections would be made faster. Your overall intellectual performance would increase.

The problem with AI to date is that it is extremely narrow and not broadly focused. For example, a calculator (very narrow AI) is better and faster than most people at solving basic and complex math, but it can't write a book, or even a letter. This is rapidly changing though, as there are even algorithms now doing the job of paralegals and writing short articles in sports outlets. As AI becomes more adept at a broader base of things, it will outperform even the smartest humans.

The scary thing is actually what happens when we achieve an actual AGI. Because it will be artificial with something akin to fiber optic operating speeds, once it achieves humanlike intelligence, it will start making huge advancements. Basically it will advance faster than we can keep up. Within days it would be smarter than the smartest human. Within months, comparing us to it would be like comparing us to chickens. Within years....

This is somewhat long, but I HIGHLY recommend any fan of Fallout 4 to read this.

i read your article. You should reread it. It makes my point. The human brain is infinity more than any computer. That may change in 100 years, but today AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) has just too many challenges to be feasible in the near future. As your article asks, how do you teach a machine empathy?

And by the way, electricity travels at the speed of light. The firing of a synapse is electrical. So the firing of a synapse occurs at the speed of light. Just sayin'.

i read your article. You should reread it. It makes my point. The human brain is infinity more than any computer. That may change in 100 years, but today AGI (Artificial General Intelligence) has just too many challenges to be feasible in the near future. As your article asks, how do you teach a machine empathy?

And by the way, electricity travels at the speed of light. The firing of a synapse is electrical. So the firing of a synapse occurs at the speed of light. Just sayin'.

I don't know what to say other than you're wrong. The article does not make your point, and most experts in the field of AI are very worried. Most conservative estimates put AGI being reached by 2080. More liberal estimates put it at 2045.

As far as synapses go, they most certainly do not fire at the speed of light. Neither does electricity, at least not in any scenario where there is wire or matter. If this was the case, no one would be trying to make telecommunications advancements. No one would be trying to install fiber optic lines for high speed internet.

Well "Dark Knight" that post makes me think its not your soul that's empty. Does anyone have a mod for our special needs friends besides the quest menu and compass marks that show you exactly where you need to go. Perhaps a companion that can lead you around by the hand and make sure you look both ways before you cross the mirelurk

That would be great.. can it be a pretty one ?.. female if you please... I only swing one way.

Its not that i cant find it.. its that some quests are utterly boring.. and sometimes i even sigh and think: " oh, i cant be arsed to do all that..." Or... " oh brilliant.. Beth hard-coded them keys to my walk keys. so i cant even do this bleeming quest if i wanted to..." Or.... If Beths programmers they did their work, THE BLOODY PIP-BOY WOULDN'T DISSAPEAR ALL THE TIME.. and i wouldn't have to spend yet another half a day re-installing this piece of s*** game... AND ALL THE 97 PLUG-INS I AM USING... :devil:

Think i wont even bother this time around.. lord knows i can use the disk space...

• 1 month later...

The only faction it seems worth reporting back to is the Railroad, because all they do is send one person as a friendly liaison with Acadia. With the Brotherhood and the Institute, it's more about driving home the point how horrible these people you are working for can be.

With the Institute I at least wanted the option to order a stay on any recapture attempts so as to study Acadia's developments. But I suppose that as a new Director with few allies and little clout to throw around it really would have been unlikely that such an order could be given without causing a fuss.

The loss of Acadia is indirectly a blow to efforts by the Harbormen to resettle the Island. DiMA and his people developed the Fog Condensers and I think they are the only ones with the ability to make more.

That said, I am pleased that Bethesda intertwined our choices in the main game with the DLC (rather than leaving no connection). I hope to see more of this in the future.

While at the same time DiMa goes around replacing those he feels threaten his idea of peace.

Bit of a spoiler SinlesSorrow

DiMA only does that once before we arrive out of last resort to create a way for Acadia and Far Harbor to work together. It is only later when he is reminded that he did this does he think that doing it again to prevent all out war between the Harbormen and the Children of Atom would be worth the sacrifice. Such a decision may seem immoral, but a lot of things can be justified when hundreds of lives hang in the balance.

Edited by CyrusAmell