Far Harbor - Thoughts

jjb54

about settlements. yes it was a pain to stop tracking down all those quests and set up some settlements but I have been seeing messages like greygarden successfully defended itself. I think the DLC may have included some tweaking of the settlement defence system

Having finished the main quest of Far Harbor today, my thoughts:

Pros:

Awesome scenery

Interesting quests (some of the best of FO4 overall IMO) & great storyline

Interesting characters

Tough decisions

Cons:

Performance issues

All in all, this is easily the best DLC so far and the characters and quests are what I wish the whole base game was more like

For me personally, the highlight of the DLC was the Cliff's Edge Hotel and the quest called "Brain Dead"

Edited by Welcome2Stonia

about settlements. yes it was a pain to stop tracking down all those quests and set up some settlements but I have been seeing messages like greygarden successfully defended itself. I think the DLC may have included some tweaking of the settlement defence system

Not for me. On one occasion I got a few hours "sleep" at Dalton's Farm and when I woke up

1) Help defend Echo Lake Lumber !

2) Help defend Covenant !

3) Help defend Greentop Nursery !

In rapid fire succession.

It's one thing to defend settlements in Far Harbour but another to make a 2 stage journey to Greentop only to find that my 15 settlers in full combat armour and armed with laser rifles are being attacked by......a couple of Stingwings :confused:

I thought by being in Far Harbor Commonwealth settlement attacks were suspended. I didn't get one notification on any of mine and I was in FH for a long time. Probably the equivalent of a game week or two.

Once I got back to Kasumi's parents place, and finished that conversation, I got a notification that Sunshine was under attack.

I thought that was a nice thing to happen. Looks like I just got lucky I suppose :)

Just finished the DiMA simulation today - no spoilers - I loved it, and found it somewhat challenging, but super-easy, although the last level took as long to complete as the previous levels combined. Don't let all those who disliked this part of the DLC influence your own enjoyment, this was a much-needed departure from the constant tedious fighting which is pretty much all Fallout 4 is. I really enjoyed this puzzle element of Far Harbor. :)

I'm enjoying Far Harbor for the most part. The fog made it very atmospheric and creepy. I haven't finished the main quest line there only because I'm trying to go slow so I don't mess anything up.

However when I started to work on the settlements the lighting seriously got on my nerves. It is just too darn dark all of the time, even during the day. Peering through the dark to see what I'm trying to do gives me a headache and I have to give up after a while. I put over a dozen lights in one large room and they pretty much did nothing. I may have to play with my settings a bit.

Edited by Ithlia

I'm doing it again with Nick this time, 'cause it turns out there's actually dialogue involving him. (Hey, I wanted to see what Ol' Longfellow had to say the first time around. New companion and all.) And... Atom frikken dammit... the mandatory settlements get on my nerves majorly when I have to do them AGAIN. I swear these guys are lucky Nick's around. If I were with Ada... lets just say I was very tempted to just shoot them and call it a day. As it is, I just sent them to the co-op which still had plenty of beds and food.

Mind you, it's the only real complaint, but it's getting on my nerves that people are just "hey, here's two of my friends for you to take care of and do all the building for!" How about asking first, for Atom's sake? You don't just GIVE even a cat to some random stranger, much less people.

I suppose at least the plots ARE very large, though, if you're still into building settlements, so there's that.

and

@Ithlia

You might want to look into the night vision goggles mod. Or the contact lenses. I have it hot-keyed by now to switch between NV gear and something else, depending on lighting, and it makes life a LOT easier. By the sound of it, I'm not the only one who needs those.

I'm doing it again with Nick this time, 'cause it turns out there's actually dialogue involving him. (Hey, I wanted to see what Ol' Longfellow had to say the first time around. New companion and all.) And... Atom frikken dammit... the mandatory settlements get on my nerves majorly when I have to do them AGAIN. I swear these guys are lucky Nick's around. If I were with Ada... lets just say I was very tempted to just shoot them and call it a day. As it is, I just sent them to the co-op which still had plenty of beds and food.

Mind you, it's the only real complaint, but it's getting on my nerves that people are just "hey, here's two of my friends for you to take care of and do all the building for!" How about asking first, for Atom's sake? You don't just GIVE even a cat to some random stranger, much less people.

I suppose at least the plots ARE very large, though, if you're still into building settlements, so there's that.

and

@Ithlia

You might want to look into the night vision goggles mod. Or the contact lenses. I have it hot-keyed by now to switch between NV gear and something else, depending on lighting, and it makes life a LOT easier. By the sound of it, I'm not the only one who needs those.

I agree that the responsibility of establishing settlements should not be something forced on random strangers who just happen to do you a good turn.

Mind you, with the Wasteland Workshop DLC I can basically whip up a single multi-story concrete building with 20+Beds as well as a trader stand, drink stand and clinic within. I use straight walls only for the base and slanted walls from the second or third story onward for the edges so it does not look too dull. If the fancy strikes me, I even establish a garden on top so people don't even need to leave the building for food. That is some good engineering on the part of the Minutemen!

Basically you're a walking talking franchise. You know, like a human incarnation of Starbucks.

I did love how ridiculously huge the starting build limits were in this expansion, I think I only needed to expand it once for some trivial decorations and that was because I did not want to get rid of all of the trees.

Edited by CyrusAmell

Much like most of Fallout, I'm pretty lukewarm to it. I can't quite put my finger on just one thing about it and say, "yeah that's it. That's what turns me off this game." Really, it's alot of little things, and some bigger ones that gather together to suck alot of the fun out of the game...alot of what has made Fallout, Fallout.

Don't get me wrong, it still has it's moments, but they don't quite come along as often as I wish they would. Something seems to be missing, which was present in previous titles...including the hated (by some) FO3.