It's pretty amazing...

meluvseveryone

I agree it was a revolutionary game for it's time, but the combat system didn't bother me. What bothered me was how every enemy and creature in the game only attacks you, no one else but you (the main character) they would even ally with each other just to take you out. The wild life and baddies in Morrowind seem to only be threaten by you they love everyone else but not the main character :confused:

I agree it was a revolutionary game for it's time, but the combat system didn't bother me. What bothered me was how every enemy and creature in the game only attacks you, no one else but you (the main character) they would even ally with each other just to take you out. The wild life and baddies in Morrowind seem to only be threaten by you they love everyone else but not the main character :confused:

yeah, but i don't think when they made this in 2002, there were AIs intelligent enough.

Edited by meluvseveryone

I think that while the game was indeed revolutionary for its time a great deal of its longevity can be attributed to the modding community and all it has produced. One of my other favorite games, Classic Doom, has been hanging on for nearly 20 years and I believe that would hardly be the case if there was not such a massive collection of community-produced content and players were not still modding it today. I think all the Gamebryo games will enjoy a long lifespan due to mods and the community. I've just started playing Morrowind GOTY again myself, but I have to wonder if I would have been as excited about playing it again if I didn't have a load order of over 200 mods to go with it. I've always loved the game and it was the one that got me into all of this, but all the mods really do add replay value to the game that other PC and console games lack.

I think that while the game was indeed revolutionary for its time a great deal of its longevity can be attributed to the modding community and all it has produced. One of my other favorite games, Classic Doom, has been hanging on for nearly 20 years and I believe that would hardly be the case if there was not such a massive collection of community-produced content and players were not still modding it today. I think all the Gamebryo games will enjoy a long lifespan due to mods and the community. I've just started playing Morrowind GOTY again myself, but I have to wonder if I would have been as excited about playing it again if I didn't have a load order of over 200 mods to go with it. I've always loved the game and it was the one that got me into all of this, but all the mods really do add replay value to the game that other PC and console games lack.

That is so true. I've goten bord of vanilla Morrowind, so I started getting TONS of mods 4 it, and now there is more to explore and do. And I think Bethesda wanted exactly that 2 happen, considering the Construction Set disk is packaged with the game.

What also amazes me about Morrowind is the AMAZING originality of it. Just go randomly exploring, and it is so imaginative and different from Fantasy RPGs. Seriously, half of the stuff i'm just like "How the hell did they manage to think of that?!"

That is so true. I've goten bord of vanilla Morrowind, so I started getting TONS of mods 4 it, and now there is more to explore and do. And I think Bethesda wanted exactly that 2 happen, considering the Construction Set disk is packaged with the game.

What also amazes me about Morrowind is the AMAZING originality of it. Just go randomly exploring, and it is so imaginative and different from Fantasy RPGs. Seriously, half of the stuff i'm just like "How the hell did they manage to think of that?!"

I totally agree. Before I found Morrowind GOTY on the XBox I had been playing the Final Fantasy games on the Playstation. Once I made the transition from guiding a pre-created character through a series of pre-determined animated cut-scenes to guiding a character I had created myself through actually exploring an actual three-dimensional world I have never gone back to games like FF.

I totally agree. Before I found Morrowind GOTY on the XBox I had been playing the Final Fantasy games on the Playstation. Once I made the transition from guiding a pre-created character through a series of pre-determined animated cut-scenes to guiding a character I had created myself through actually exploring an actual three-dimensional world I have never gone back to games like FF.

FF is so over-rated >:(

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but i don't think when they made this in 2002, there were AIs intelligent enough.

The limitation was one of memory that could maintain a very large group of rules at one time, with everything else going on, as well. That's why you could have incredible chess AIs: because the RAM wasn't focused on realtime graphics, or a lot of other stuff going on simultaneously.

Meanwhile, in Oblivion they assumed a much greater amount of memory, and put it to frequently poor use in generating bizarre NPC dialogs. On the other hand, the NPC schedules could have been done as early as Morrowind, if they'd wanted to. They just didn't consider it, and took a leaf in Oblivion from a Morrowind mod that tried to just that with the CS.

Morrowind wasn't revolutionary, but it do a lot of things extremely well at the same time: a great deal of non-linear activity surrounding a linear core, an immense amount of lore within the culture, an enormous variety of skills, great visual environments to explore, a game space that didn't coddle or force you in certain directions, etc. The best thing they did, though, in my opinion, was releasing the CS to users. This *was* a kind of revolutionary step. No company producing a major title had given its players this level of control over a very large, varied game. I reviewed Morrowind when it first came out, and loved it, but what's kept it vibrant over the years are all the modders who poured their creativity into it.

Just my two cents.