Help with creating a more complex quest and scripts

bigman28

Well... you can't initiate the quest through dialogue... because you don't have the quest running.

As I said earlier... (except now i added some detail, and some FLAVAAAA)

Find a quest that is always running... doesn't really matter what it is, you can always make your own with no title. Then add the topic of "GREETING" into that quest (if it doesn't already have it). The use the conversation editor and do it that way. By choosing the quest, and the NPC you want (in the filter) you can make your NPC be the only one to say specific lines of dialogue to your character which will initiate your quest.

Glen might be able to explain it better.

Okay, let me explain in detail also

I have one quest named SMscavengerhunt, priority of 55, start game enabled, and script processing delay checked

under quest stages I got

under topic I got the lines and everything, one in particular is the one that has the result script "SetStage SMscavengerhunt 10 1"

but when I initiate that line in game it doesn't activate the quest. If I left anything out that you need to know just tell me and I will let you know.

Did you create the objectives?

If you want the objectives to display when you set a stage, You need to write SetObjectiveDisplayed <quest> <objective> 1 in the result script of that stage.

Create a new objective. Write something in the text field of that objective. Take note of its ID, maybe just leave it as 10 or something. Then in the result script of stage 10, write SetObjectiveDisplayed SMscavengerhunt 10 1.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... you can't initiate the quest through dialogue... because you don't have the quest running.

As I said earlier... (except now i added some detail, and some FLAVAAAA)

Find a quest that is always running... doesn't really matter what it is, you can always make your own with no title. Then add the topic of "GREETING" into that quest (if it doesn't already have it). The use the conversation editor and do it that way. By choosing the quest, and the NPC you want (in the filter) you can make your NPC be the only one to say specific lines of dialogue to your character which will initiate your quest.

Glen might be able to explain it better.

Okay, let me explain in detail also

I have one quest named SMscavengerhunt, priority of 55, start game enabled, and script processing delay checked

under quest stages I got

under topic I got the lines and everything, one in particular is the one that has the result script "SetStage SMscavengerhunt 10 1"

but when I initiate that line in game it doesn't activate the quest. If I left anything out that you need to know just tell me and I will let you know.

Did you create the objectives?

If you want the objectives to display when you set a stage, You need to write SetObjectiveDisplayed <quest> <objective> 1 in the result script of that stage.

Create a new objective. Write something in the text field of that objective. Take note of its ID, maybe just leave it as 10 or something. Then in the result script of stage 10, write SetObjectiveDisplayed SMscavengerhunt 10 1.

Yest the objectives have been created and the proper scripts in the result area, but when I initiate the dialogue that the quest is activated through nothing happens.

Okay now I'm just shooting blind here. But can you uncheck the start game enabled flag and manually start the quest using

startquest <questID> in the console? After that go talk to the guy to set stage to 10. Apart from this, I don't know the issue because it has never happened to me before.

Edited by Glenstorm

Have you been trying the experiments with your changes coming out of a clean save or are you going in and out of the same save making change in the GECK? You need to have a clean save, preferably in another cell, that you can go in and out of when you make changes. Your results will be muddled and quite possibly inaccurate if you don't do your testing from a clean save.

Have you been trying the experiments with your changes coming out of a clean save or are you going in and out of the same save making change in the GECK? You need to have a clean save, preferably in another cell, that you can go in and out of when you make changes. Your results will be muddled and quite possibly inaccurate if you don't do your testing from a clean save.

Yeah, I noticed that... and am using a clean save.

Nope, I couldn't even start the quest in-game

any other thing to try?

You need to make sure the quest ID starts with xxyyyyyy.... where xx is your mod load order and the rest is your quest form id (its in the 2nd column in the object window in GECK).

any other thing to try?

You need to make sure the quest ID starts with xxyyyyyy.... where xx is your mod load order and the rest is your quest form id (its in the 2nd column in the object window in GECK).

Sorry, can you elaborate on that?

any other thing to try?

Sorry, can you elaborate on that?

type startquest <questID>

where questID is an 8 "digit" value. You can get this id by looking at the value in the second column of the object window (in GECK). It is hidden by default. You need to expand the column to see it. Once you can see the IDs of different objects, note the ID of your quest. It would probably begin with 01xxxxx. Use the same id, but simply change the first two values to the load order value of your mod (if you have nothing enabled except FalloutNV.esm, then its probably 01). If you don't know the load order of your mod, get FOMM. It will show you the load order number of the mod. It can range from 01 to ff.

if you have Skype (or Steam) you can add me, screen sharing in a voice chat would be much easier to see the issue and explain it.

PM me if u got username and wanna do that.

Edited by Skibblets