Help with creating a more complex quest and scripts

bigman28

Nope, I couldn't even start the quest in-game

any other thing to try?

You need to make sure the quest ID starts with xxyyyyyy.... where xx is your mod load order and the rest is your quest form id (its in the 2nd column in the object window in GECK).

Sorry, can you elaborate on that?

type startquest <questID>

where questID is an 8 "digit" value. You can get this id by looking at the value in the second column of the object window (in GECK). It is hidden by default. You need to expand the column to see it. Once you can see the IDs of different objects, note the ID of your quest. It would probably begin with 01xxxxx. Use the same id, but simply change the first two values to the load order value of your mod (if you have nothing enabled except FalloutNV.esm, then its probably 01). If you don't know the load order of your mod, get FOMM. It will show you the load order number of the mod. It can range from 01 to ff.

Okay, I got the mod manager and found the load order. I went in-game and put [startquest 0600C459] into the console, it acted like it took it.. no error messages or anything. but after exiting the console no quest appeared. I even checked the pip-boy

Edited by bigman28

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quests don't appear in the pip boy right off the bat when you start them. Some of them are not meant to show up (called "hidden quests" and quests are basically used for anything from a variable holder to entire faction conversations). Quests show up when the first objective is displayed. Once you start the quest manually, then set the stage as 10 and see what happens, since you already have the setobjectivedisplayed line in the result script of the stage 10.

Quests don't appear in the pip boy right off the bat when you start them. Some of them are not meant to show up (called "hidden quests" and quests are basically used for anything from a variable holder to entire faction conversations). Quests show up when the first objective is displayed. Once you start the quest manually, then set the stage as 10 and see what happens, since you already have the setobjectivedisplayed line in the result script of the stage 10.

hey thanks for helping me so far

just hang on to this forum a little longer.

after doing all the previous and [setStage 0600C459 10] into the console the quest appeared which means the quest is there.

but this mod I'm creating is for other people, so I need the quest to be activate "specifically when the player talks to a certain NPC".

I think it may be the NPC at this point that the problem is.

If manually starting quest works, then I believe the problem arises from enabling "start quest enabled" flag. Maybe the engine treats all quests with this flag as background processes which does not have any need for objectives and such. I'm not entirely sure. Try writing these two lines at the result script on the dialog:

StartQuest <QuestName>
SetStage <QuestName> 10

If manually starting quest works, then I believe the problem arises from enabling "start quest enabled" flag. Maybe the engine treats all quests with this flag as background processes which does not have any need for objectives and such. I'm not entirely sure. Try writing these two lines at the result script on the dialog:

StartQuest <QuestName>
SetStage <QuestName> 10

I got an error message saying [operation cannot be completed because: info (0400C9A5) result scripts failed to compile]

StartQuest <QuestName>
SetStage <QuestName> 10

I got an error message saying [operation cannot be completed because: info (0400C9A5) result scripts failed to compile]

Umm.. <QuestName> should be replaced with your quest name...

StartQuest <QuestName>
SetStage <QuestName> 10

Umm.. <QuestName> should be replaced with your quest name...

Never mind, little error.. let me test it in-game.

Edited by bigman28

I got another question... should be short though.

what do I put in the result script field to make an NPC attack you when you select that dialogue?

something like attack.player ? I don't know.

I got another question... should be short though.

what do I put in the result script field to make an NPC attack you when you select that dialogue?

something like attack.player ? I don't know.

<NPCRef>.AddToFaction <Put a raider/viper faction here> <-- This is the easiest way I could think of.