Bethesda sues Notch over the use of the word "Scrolls"

yoba333

If Bethesda wins this case, I assure you that I will never buy another Bethesda/Zenimax game again.

On a side note, if Bethesda actually decides to go through with this, they should change thier names first, as "Bethesda" was a "a pool in Biblical Jerusalem, believed to have healing powers. John 5:2–4."

Isn't it a little arrogant to name your company after a Biblical term and then try and hoard your ideas/names? Isn't God all about sharing and caring after all? Oops, I hope the maker of "Sharing and Caring" doesn't sue me now since I used the phrase a public post. :P

Edited by Mithios

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't name their company after a biblical anything. They named their company after the city in which they founded it.

And, really guise. If the Minecraft peepo hadn't rather unprofessionally QQd on the Internet about this, no one would have known and it would have blown over. Give it a frakking rest.

If Bethesda win (which I highly doubt) then perhaps it will just matter of time before

War CRAFT decide to sue Mine CRAFT for using the word CRAFT .. and then perhaps

Marvel Spider-MAN decide to sue the DC Super-MAN for using the word MAN...

I mean seriously here? ..

ps.

And then maybe while still overjoyed with lawsuit victory, Bethesda decide to sue THE sims for using the word THE.

http://craigswinejourney.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/128847344485080355.jpg

Edited by edriano

If Bethesda win (which I highly doubt) then perhaps it will just matter of time before

War CRAFT decide to sue Mine CRAFT for using the word CRAFT .. and then perhaps

Marvel Spider-MAN decide to sue the DC Super-MAN for using the word MAN...

I mean seriously here? ..

ps.

And then maybe while still overjoyed with lawsuit victory, Bethesda decide to sue THE sims for using the word THE.

I agree with every single word you wrote.

Edited by funnyjunkie89

Honestly, there are only so many words to go around before you run out. Unless Notch was actually naming his game after another one and taking ideas from said game, I don't see what the big deal is. Zenimax is acting pretty childish if you ask me.

I happen to know that Beth has been (internally) at the very early stages of a new development project, the working title for which is 'scrolls of ...' (I won't repeat the word here) and I also know that the legal threat is legit.

The issue here, while not being made public, is that 'they' wanted to protect the asset name and had no basis for it since the project is years from release. The lawyers came up with this idea of basing the suit on the claim that it infringes on 'Elder Scrolls'.

I'm going to quietly walk out of the room now.

One day, this thread will die, but until then, the legal brainiacs at Zenimax sure have given me a laugh.

It's not gonna fly, especially if the defendant's attorney caught wind of another post about "Bethesda internally...." and made a very smart disclosure request, and a judge with common sense went..."Oh really now."

What would, imo, solve oh say 80% of the frivolous lawsuits foisted on the legal system, criminal and civil would be to implement "loser pays", then this kind of extortion (my wallet is bigger than yours) would go poof. Hmm, darn, that'll never happen, because lawyers need cases (or non-cases like this one) to be paid their percentage.

wow...uhh i love you guys at bethesda, i know all of us here

most likely do too, but this is kind of uncalled for.

Edited by rokis88