When is it okay to kill someone?

marharth

I believe it is acceptable to kill someone in defense of yours, or someone else's life. That is, if someone is threatening or attempting to seriously injure or kill you or another person, or otherwise you feel you really, really have a strong reason to believe that this person is endangering the lives of others and there is no other alternative.

I think that it should always be the absolute last resort, though, and obviously it's something that you must think very very hard about before they you on it. After all, no matter how good your reasoning was for your actions, you will have to live with it for the rest of your life.

Cops seem to make a very regular habit of shooting and killing unarmed civilians, which I consider to be cold blooded murder, and it upsets me that it's so commonly accepted. In my mind, it's unacceptable. The police don't really have to kill a person unless they're armed and are seriously threatening the lives of others. For example, that shooting at the courthouse in Tyler, Texas - I believe, in that case, their killing of the perpetrator was very justified. The man was armed, with a very powerful firearm no less, he had already killed two people and shot several others, and he made it very clear he would kill anyone who got in his way.

In contrast, a few months ago here, an unarmed man was shot and killed by the police, which was really upsetting to me. If he wasn't armed, then there is absolutely no valid excuse for ending his life. Police have many, many acceptable alternatives at their disposal - whatever the situation was, they could have simply tased the man and apprehended him.

Like I said, one should not resort to killing other humans unless other lives hang in the balance and there is absolutely no other way to resolve the situation...

Edited by Lehcar

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be serious, its a better idea for you to shoot to disable, not shoot to kill.

Take note that you might get in legal trouble if you shoot to kill. Better off to shoot someone simply to make them fall down and stop being a threat, then call 911 and explain the situation.

You might of been joking though, and I just woke up so sorry if you were.

In theory it sounds nice but the caveat I would add is, that the best place to aim is the center mass of the torso which is the upper body. If that disables them then further action is not required but the rule of thumb still is, if they continue moving towards you then you fire until they stop moving closer or moving at all. I would still rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Edited by Aurielius

So what I have seen, everyone seems to think that killing is only okay if you are near someone that is currently a threat.

Is that correct?

I'd say that's probably correct, but I'd hesitate to use the word "ok" because that would require some sort of approval. Killing is expected when it's necessary to protect ones own life. And not when I think they might be a threat, but when I know, within reason, that they are a threat. Beyond that, I'd say that it would be unrealistic to expect most people to do anything but act in the interest of self-preservation.

Perhaps, my position could be best summed up as: All killing is regrettable, but it can be forgiveable in the circumstance in which killing is unavoidable.

To be serious, its a better idea for you to shoot to disable, not shoot to kill.

Take note that you might get in legal trouble if you shoot to kill. Better off to shoot someone simply to make them fall down and stop being a threat, then call 911 and explain the situation.

You might of been joking though, and I just woke up so sorry if you were.

In theory it sounds nice but the caveat I would add is, that the best place to aim is the center mass of the torso which is the upper body. If that disables them then further action is not required but the rule of thumb still is, if they continue moving towards you then you fire until they stop moving closer or moving at all. I would still rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

I would agree with that then.

It really depends of a personal opinion.

For some it is, for others it isn't alright. It is much deeper then the people think and see it is. It's not the question only about morality, it is more of a psychological nature.

Let's take a couple of examples, shall we?

1. You're coming back home from work, where you find your family tied up by an armed burglar. He has an assault rifle in his hands and he fores you down to the floor.

The burglar makes it clear that he will kill all of you after he finishes with robbing your home. You remember that you have a gun in a drawer in a counter right next to the spot where you are being held as a hostage. The burglar turns his back on you and your family to fins some more rope to tie you up. The drawer is open, he didn't see that gun inside. What will you do?

2. You came out from a bar with your girl, went down to the dark alley where the parking lot is, and all of a sudden, 6 guys comes right at you, spitting, insulting and touching your girl in an inappropriate way. They are a bunch of low morality street thugs, possibly some gang members and they are armed with cold weaponry, a couple of knives and some steel chains. They seem tensed and they want to make you a problem, but you don't know are they in a kill mood or in a torture mood. You have a gun under your coat for protection. What will you do?

3. You are working for a huge company for 10 years and it is your turn to get promoted and to move to another city. You worked hard for all those years, and luxury of the new working place is at the top of your fingertips. More money, more comfort for your family members, 2 new cars, a big house and a dreamlike neighborhood. But there is a guy who is a son of the company's owner. He didn't have to work all those years, yet, he jumped in front of you to take your place. And he will get it, you know it, everyone is talking about it. As you went for a lunch break outside at the terrace, you see that guy right at the edge, being unaware that someone is behind him there. It's pretty tall building, you are standing at the 30th floor. 'Accidents' are possible, right? What will you do?

4. You are a soldier. A man in a foreign, distant country is accused for all sorts of crime. All the news are talking about it, all the papers are writing about him, some sources are pulling out some proofs of his crimes, etc. But you feel it all shady, something doesn't seem to be right. You are being sent to hunt the man down. You fight your way through the hell of war, back and forth, then you pierce with your unit and enter his home. He is right there, and all of his family is sitting next to him, sons, daughters, wife and grandchildren. You have an order to shoot him on sight. The order that you must fulfill includes his children and wife. Only the grandchildren have to survive. Your best buddy next to you will rat you out to your sarge, if you don't do it. He is pushing you to do it. If not- court marshal is waiting for you. You look at the man and his family, right in the eyes and you must pick quickly. What will you do?

5. You are running through the streets, there is a total collapse of the law enforcement in your city, strikes everywhere. Anarchy rules your world now. There are armed people everywhere, no food, lack of water and hospitals are empty. You find a poor man, innocent man, shot in the liver area, black blood is coming out of his stomach. He has exactly one hour or little less to live and he will die in a great pain and fear. You are feeling sorry for that old man. He begs you to help him, to relief his pain, because there is no hope for him. You have a gun on yourself. What will you do?

6. You come into a store to buy a pack of ciggies , where you see a criminal with a shotgun, holding the clerks as hostages. You are right next to him and he threatens to you that he will shoot if you move. Then he focuses again to the clerks. You have a knife and he doesn't sees you good. What will you do?

7. You were asked for a fair fight, a fist fight by a very strong man, violent man. You can't escape it, everyone is watching you and they expect you to fight with him. You are in front of a club and he is preparing himself to attack you. He threatens to you that he will break every bone you have and that he will put you in a hospital for at least 6 months. You know that he is serious and that he done that before, so he is able to perform such an act. No one wants to call the cops and you don't have a cellphone. He is faster then you, so he will catch you if you try to run. But you have a big army knife on you. What will you do?

8. Some maniac killed your fiance, 2 days before the wedding, it happened 3-4 years ago. he was released by the authorities in a lack of evidence and lack of justice. All that mess left a scar on your heart and mind, you still can't sleep good after all that time that passed. You miss your fiance like crazy. You can't stop thinking about your fiance's death and being helpless in the hands of a terrible murderer. As you walk down the park to relax a bit, you see that guy, sitting at the bench, reading newspapers. You see a baseball bat nearby at the ground, some guys are hitting a round or two for fun. What will you do?

9. The same maniac killed your fiance 2 days before the wedding, it happened 3-4 years ago. The law gave him justice for his act of crime, by sending him to a life sentence in prison. He never show remorse for what he did and his own girl came to defend him at the court as well. She is a junky and he is a drunkard, they are really bad couple, violent and hateful. After a couple of years, you walk down the park and you see his girl, who laughed at you in the courtroom, sitting on a bench, being high. She doesn't recognize you. You have a gun. What will you do?

10. You have no proper education, therefore you don't have much chance to get a decent job. Your wife just gave a birth to a son/daughter. You can't support them enough for even the basic stuff, such as food. And you are in a great debt to the bank and loan sharks, as well. You live in a small town, where there is no jobs for you.

Though, the local prison is hiring people for a firing squads, to perform death penalties. It's the only job you have found, there is non around except that one. The money is good. Would you apply?

Moranda

Well, I'm going to get myself in trouble now. The OP question is, "When is it okay to kill someone"?

I have read all kinds of fascinating and thought provoking dialogue above. The last poster gave us innumerable interesting scenarios from which to chose.

My response remains, it is never "okay" to kill someone. Military personnel are of course somewhat excluded, although I would still not use the word "okay".

For those of you who have been in war situations and had to engage in this incredibly difficult activity, I cannot begin to imagine how it must feel. I recognize that the adreniline takes over and survival become the issue, etc. And I know many have said that the same is the case when one's life is at stake in other situations as well. I absolutely agree. I have no idea how I would respond in any of the aforementioned situations. But I do know this. I would never feel that it was "okay" to kill someone.

That is not to say that I might not ever do it. Maybe I would. But the taking of a human life (regardless of how vile or threatening the human in question might seem to me) would never be something I could possibly think of as "okay". I have never believed, and do not to this day believe that I have the right to take another human being's life.

It really depends of a personal opinion.

For some it is, for others it isn't alright. It is much deeper then the people think and see it is. It's not the question only about morality, it is more of a psychological nature.

Let's take a couple of examples, shall we?

1. You're coming back home from work, where you find your family tied up by an armed burglar. He has an assault rifle in his hands and he fores you down to the floor.

The burglar makes it clear that he will kill all of you after he finishes with robbing your home. You remember that you have a gun in a drawer in a counter right next to the spot where you are being held as a hostage. The burglar turns his back on you and your family to fins some more rope to tie you up. The drawer is open, he didn't see that gun inside. What will you do? Kill Him. Without hesitation.

2. You came out from a bar with your girl, went down to the dark alley where the parking lot is, and all of a sudden, 6 guys comes right at you, spitting, insulting and touching your girl in an inappropriate way. They are a bunch of low morality street thugs, possibly some gang members and they are armed with cold weaponry, a couple of knives and some steel chains. They seem tensed and they want to make you a problem, but you don't know are they in a kill mood or in a torture mood. You have a gun under your coat for protection. What will you do? Draw my weapon, point out to them that I have ten little friends in my 9mm, that say they are going to RUN, not walk, away. If any of them makes a threatening move, he dies first. See what the rest do.

3. You are working for a huge company for 10 years and it is your turn to get promoted and to move to another city. You worked hard for all those years, and luxury of the new working place is at the top of your fingertips. More money, more comfort for your family members, 2 new cars, a big house and a dreamlike neighborhood. But there is a guy who is a son of the company's owner. He didn't have to work all those years, yet, he jumped in front of you to take your place. And he will get it, you know it, everyone is talking about it. As you went for a lunch break outside at the terrace, you see that guy right at the edge, being unaware that someone is behind him there. It's pretty tall building, you are standing at the 30th floor. 'Accidents' are possible, right? What will you do? No. He gets the promotion, and goes on to lead a long and happy life. I start looking for another job.

4. You are a soldier. A man in a foreign, distant country is accused for all sorts of crime. All the news are talking about it, all the papers are writing about him, some sources are pulling out some proofs of his crimes, etc. But you feel it all shady, something doesn't seem to be right. You are being sent to hunt the man down. You fight your way through the hell of war, back and forth, then you pierce with your unit and enter his home. He is right there, and all of his family is sitting next to him, sons, daughters, wife and grandchildren. You have an order to shoot him on sight. The order that you must fulfill includes his children and wife. Only the grandchildren have to survive. Your best buddy next to you will rat you out to your sarge, if you don't do it. He is pushing you to do it. If not- court marshal is waiting for you. You look at the man and his family, right in the eyes and you must pick quickly. What will you do? Depends on what he has done, and how sure I am of his guilt. If his family had nothing to do with it, or, I am UNsure of their guilt, I will not shoot them. Court Martial me.

5. You are running through the streets, there is a total collapse of the law enforcement in your city, strikes everywhere. Anarchy rules your world now. There are armed people everywhere, no food, lack of water and hospitals are empty. You find a poor man, innocent man, shot in the liver area, black blood is coming out of his stomach. He has exactly one hour or little less to live and he will die in a great pain and fear. You are feeling sorry for that old man. He begs you to help him, to relief his pain, because there is no hope for him. You have a gun on yourself. What will you do? Give him the weapon, and let him solve his own problem, should he so wish. If not, do what I can for him.

6. You come into a store to buy a pack of ciggies , where you see a criminal with a shotgun, holding the clerks as hostages. You are right next to him and he threatens to you that he will shoot if you move. Then he focuses again to the clerks. You have a knife and he doesn't sees you good. What will you do? Criminal gets a haircut at about neck level.

7. You were asked for a fair fight, a fist fight by a very strong man, violent man. You can't escape it, everyone is watching you and they expect you to fight with him. You are in front of a club and he is preparing himself to attack you. He threatens to you that he will break every bone you have and that he will put you in a hospital for at least 6 months. You know that he is serious and that he done that before, so he is able to perform such an act. No one wants to call the cops and you don't have a cellphone. He is faster then you, so he will catch you if you try to run. But you have a big army knife on you. What will you do? I am not the best knife fighter..... but, given the odds, do my damndest to stick it in him.

8. Some maniac killed your fiance, 2 days before the wedding, it happened 3-4 years ago. he was released by the authorities in a lack of evidence and lack of justice. All that mess left a scar on your heart and mind, you still can't sleep good after all that time that passed. You miss your fiance like crazy. You can't stop thinking about your fiance's death and being helpless in the hands of a terrible murderer. As you walk down the park to relax a bit, you see that guy, sitting at the bench, reading newspapers. You see a baseball bat nearby at the ground, some guys are hitting a round or two for fun. What will you do? Follow him home. Wait until he is alone. Spend some quality time with him before he dies. No, I am NOT a nice person when it comes to things of that nature.

9. The same maniac killed your fiance 2 days before the wedding, it happened 3-4 years ago. The law gave him justice for his act of crime, by sending him to a life sentence in prison. He never show remorse for what he did and his own girl came to defend him at the court as well. She is a junky and he is a drunkard, they are really bad couple, violent and hateful. After a couple of years, you walk down the park and you see his girl, who laughed at you in the courtroom, sitting on a bench, being high. She doesn't recognize you. You have a gun. What will you do? Smile and keep walking in the knowledge that she will turn up dead by her own hand soon.

10. You have no proper education, therefore you don't have much chance to get a decent job. Your wife just gave a birth to a son/daughter. You can't support them enough for even the basic stuff, such as food. And you are in a great debt to the bank and loan sharks, as well. You live in a small town, where there is no jobs for you.

Though, the local prison is hiring people for a firing squads, to perform death penalties. It's the only job you have found, there is non around except that one. The money is good. Would you apply? Yep.

Moranda

Well, I'm going to get myself in trouble now. The OP question is, "When is it okay to kill someone"?

I have read all kinds of fascinating and thought provoking dialogue above. The last poster gave us innumerable interesting scenarios from which to chose.

My response remains, it is never "okay" to kill someone. Military personnel are of course somewhat excluded, although I would still not use the word "okay".

For those of you who have been in war situations and had to engage in this incredibly difficult activity, I cannot begin to imagine how it must feel. I recognize that the adreniline takes over and survival become the issue, etc. And I know many have said that the same is the case when one's life is at stake in other situations as well. I absolutely agree. I have no idea how I would respond in any of the aforementioned situations. But I do know this. I would never feel that it was "okay" to kill someone.

That is not to say that I might not ever do it. Maybe I would. But the taking of a human life (regardless of how vile or threatening the human in question might seem to me) would never be something I could possibly think of as "okay". I have never believed, and do not to this day believe that I have the right to take another human being's life.

Human life is valuable, but what if one human life stays in existence at the cost of many others?

Marharth asks: "Human life is valuable, but what if one human life stays in existence at the cost of many others?"

Marharth, My post had to do with whether or not I thought it was "okay" to kill someone. I do not believe it is okay to take a human life. That is my belief. The world if full of "what ifs". I do not have answers for all of them. I must follow my heart and stick with my beliefs and standards. As I also said in that post, I can not say for sure what I would actually do in many of the circumstances presented by some of the other posters. No one can be truly certain until it happens. I am nothing if not honest with myself about my humanity and my imperfection.