Why don't people share their creations?

abkopp

Since quite some time I am wondering why sooo many people creating nice companions, NPCs, cloths, armors and other things do not PUBLISH their work here on Nexus. But: They show screenshots of their partly really fantastic creations. Its like cocking snooks on all the others! Or is there a secret community sharing those diamonds saying: "Hey, we are special, we are much better than all the rest! But let's have the rest have a look at all the things we've got!" Sorry, I just don't get the point. Perhaps I do not understand some crucial point (like using someone elses mod and not having the permission to publish things ... but hey, why don't give at least credit when posting a screensshot?) And yes, I know there are some things you can find only on japanese or russian sites, but in the images-section there are a LOT of things worse publishing!

Well, I think this post won't change anything .... good night!

Ahh no, let me thank all the people who PUBLISH their work! Really: Thanks a lot! You're great!

1. Some of them are looking awesome, but author won't share his/her mod right now because it's incomplete and buggy: for example, the outfit looks good when you're standing still, but when you move, it will be glitched all over.

- 1a: Some mods are looking awesome, but author won't share them because it can affect performance severely. Example: Kvatch Reclaimed wasn't publicly released until the author decided to, because it can cause severe performance hit.

2. Some of them are looking awesome in screenshot, but author won't share them publicly because they're ripped from other games. You don't want to deal with copyright issues, do you?

3. Some of them may be cool, but author won't share them publicly because he/she doesn't want them to be shared. The reason may be 2, but not always. Some of them can be controversal.

Well, being a scripter, I can only speak for my point of view.

I, for example, have lots of (if I say so myself) great mods. But thing is, like you said, permissions.

I script just about everything, and make the mod and all. But for the resources, I have to rely on other people. Which quite often don't give permissions, (in my experience and opinion) rarely for a good reason... (like credit...?).

This means that either I share my stuff and get called the bad guy and banned, or I keep it to myself. Since I'm quite fond of this community here, that means I *can't* share stuff.

Edited by GreatLucifer

So,

I'm one of those bad guys how does custom armors, custom textures, port hairstyles and I've seen topics like this one here arise (and disappear) again and again. The funny thing I noticed is, that these topics get started in most cases by members who contribute NOTHING to the community, not even one lousy screenshot.

I'm so sick of this attitude of "give me everything you got and for free of course". But that's the sad way most communities work, also in real life. With every one guy who works come ten guys who stand around, do nothing and in the end know it all better.

Topics like this always lead to the discussion about why modders mod. I mod because I want to see something I have in mind come to life, make it happen and LEARN WAYS AND TECHNIQUES TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. Since this is a process that requires time, understanding and perseverance, once you got it done you feel proud of what you've done and most people who are proud of something would like to show what they've created and this is nothing I have to feel ashamed for.

During my time here I saw so many screenshots of awesome things no matter what. I remember two times asking an uploader where he did get that, I did it each time via pm and with all due respect. I was never like "I WANT THAT, YOU MUST UPLOAD IT BECAUSE THIS IS A COMMUNITY AND WE OTHERS HAVE A RIGHT TO HAVE IT!!" from where do those people take that right, especially if they are not willing/able to give anything back!?

I perceive screenshots of "exclusive stuff" not like "what a ..., he doesn't share that, he must share that, I want it!" but instead I found them to be an impulse to learn how to do something like that myself!

Each time I saw something I liked and that wasn't available here, I asked myself: "Can I do that?" and in some cases I found that I could even do something that fitted my taste even better. But I think that's someting that someone with that "gimmegimmewantwant-attitude" will never understand!

Don't take this personal I tried to be rational, if I failed let me know!

Greetz *Sari

Edit: typos

Edited by SariDecember

Just to play the Devils Advocate for a minute here;

We have a saying in Holland: "Wie deelt wat hij heeft, is waard dat hij leeft"

Translated, it says "He who shares what he has is worth being alive" (sounds better in Dutch, as it rhymes).

Basically put, the more you have, the more you share. Like taxes; have more money, give more money. Afterall, why not share?

Could just be me though.... :psyduck:

I have quite a few things that I've made that I haven't uploaded anywhere. Mostly it's stuff I've made for myself. I've noticed time and time again anytime a mod author posts something, no matter how awesome it is, there are instantly 50 comments requesting changes to other bodies/textures/races/gender/ whatever. Sometimes it gets tiresome to deal with so people just make something cool and upload a screenshot.

RP

well i have learnt by asking many modders for their work "chars and clothes mainly" is that many of thier mods are very personal and very dear to them, for example AlienSlof she is not on this site anymore but it is immpossible to get a save of her characters from her as they are extremely personal, see its not that they are being mean its just they need something of their own don't they?

I know someone who asked the same thing, and pursued the answer and ultimately in the end got banned. It's best to just ignore it as hard as that may be, and just be grateful for what you can get your hands on instead of what you can't.

Thanks for all your answers. Some things I understand better now, some not, some I already mentioned in my post (like permissions), but hey: some things I didn't say! SariDecember, you are using a lot of quotation marks indicating that I said these awful things. This is not what I did or wanted to imply. Combining it with blaming me for not modding ... hmmm, well I think more than 90 percent visiting this site are not modding. Should they all keep their mouth shut? I can understand that you may be sick of people saying "give me everything you got and for free of course", but I didn't say this. So please relax ... its just a game ... and a nice one thanks to all you modders out there!

Cheers