Skill Minigames

Alcrin

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the minigames in Skyrim?

• This is wonderful! Oblivion's was great! I'm glad to see more.
    • This is horrible! A terrible idea before and a terrible idea now.
    • It depends. They could have learned from their earlier mistakes.
    • Meh. I don't care either way.
    • Pfft, real men use the console!
    • What's Skyrim?

Perhaps most surprising is the number of people who seem to think that there was nothing wrong with the Oblivion minigames. I still have nightmares about that Disposition wheel.

Actually, watch this, pretty funny, and highlights the issues I disliked too:

That's not a parody! I wish it was done that well in-game.

That's not a parody! I wish it was done that well in-game.

What? It's exactly like that in game. Quite ridiculous really, to so drastically alter an NPC's disposition towards you by alternating between threats, compliments, jokes and bragging.

Great parody BTW. Was very funny.

I think Skill minigames would be fun with smithing probably having a minigame to only increasing skill i'd like to see fun things involving NPC's to increase your skill in lets say Archery. I think an Archery competition involving other NPC's would be cool and you would have to get the best score on a target and winning would increase the skill.

Edit: Other skills with minigames like this could be fun too!

Edited by Crazylatino25

You'd have to be careful...in my opinion, more mini games detract from the experience, so you'd only want to include them when it enhances immersion through realism. The lock picking system in Fallout on which Skyrim's system is based is a great example. I certainly wouldn't want to see mini games exist solely to increase a skill; that goes against the "learn by doing" philosophy of TES.

The Robin Hood style archery competition does sound cool, though! I'd love to see something like that as a random event that an NPC approaches you to do if your skill is high enough.

What? It's exactly like that in game. Quite ridiculous really, to so drastically alter an NPC's disposition towards you by alternating between threats, compliments, jokes and bragging.

The video:

- Has the "player" actually make the threats, compliments, and jokes. So it at least vaguely looks like a conversation.

- Skips the part where you have to sit there and move your mouse around the wheel for a few seconds so you can try to plan what you're going to say next.

- Also skips the part where you screw up the first couple of times and bring their disposition down by 50 points lower than you started, meaning you have to spend even longer screwing with the damned thing.

- Has the "player" apparently have a maxed out speechcraft skill, because best case scenario with an apprentice or even novice level skill you can only raise their disposition by 1 or 2 points every round. Unless you spend a looooong time and a lot of money raising up that skill (basically pointless anyway due to charm spells), it's never gonna be any higher than that.