The 18 Skills of Skyrim

natelovesyou

Wow, thanks for doing this, and I think I can help with the parts that you were confused about, as I have the HD version of the video. I didn't check to see if they were all verbatim, but I noticed you were missing a lot for Sneak so here it is...

Sneak

Sneaking is the art of moving unseen and unheard. Highly skilled sneaks can even hide in plain sight.

Ahh! Thank you! If you look at the QuakeCon video I linked above, you can see what I had to work with haha. But where did you get an HD version, are you able to share it? And can you also share your findings on Conjuration? That's the only other skill besides Sneak that I had so much trouble with.

Yeah sure, Conjuration says:

"The School of Conjuration governs raising the dead on summoning creations from Oblivion. This skill makes it easier to cast these spells as well as Soul Trap and bindings."

That's exactly what it says, although I don't completely understand the first sentence myself.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure it's referring to the same conjuration skill as before. There's only two type of things you can summon in TES, which are either corpses and skeletons, or creatures from outside Nirn (oblivion). The only exception in Oblivion would be Bears and Ghosts I think.

'Raising the dead' -> Skeletons, Zombies

'Creations from Oblivion' -> Imp, Clannfear, etc.

"The School of Conjuration governs raising the dead on summoning creations from Oblivion. This skill makes it easier to cast these spells as well as Soul Trap and bindings."

That's exactly what it says, although I don't completely understand the first sentence myself.

Those descriptions are likely just place holders. It's been confirmed that the UI in the demo is not complete.

Just realized why it didn't make sense to me, although I'm ashamed to post it, and you guys probably thought it was a simple typo. "On" should be "or" in the first sentence. Wow, I'm awful.

"The School of Conjuration governs raising the dead or summoning creations from Oblivion. This skill makes it easier to cast these spells as well as Soul Trap and bindings."

It makes total sense to me now, though.

So now the million dollar question is,"What skills are you going to use? Are you going to be a jack of all trades or focus on a few things but do them well?".

I am personally going to have a few characters but it's nice to know the skill list to start planning.

I have always been a fan of ranger type characters so I will most likely use:

Archery (Bows no brainer for a ranger)

One-Handed Weapons (Dual wielding long swords for close range)

Light Armor (Can't fight naked... or can i?)

Sneak (I'm climbing in yo windows, snatchin up yo people)

Alchemy (Healing potions and poisons)

Smithing (Crafting and maintaining top quality gear sounds cool)

Edited by NAPALM13092

Found the same QuakeCon video in 720p (double the 360p quality before) so I was able to make the corrections in Conjuration and Sneak with a surety that they're correct. Also, I added several new perks and made some fixes that I didn't before realize because of the low quality and low framerate prior.

Just realized why it didn't make sense to me, although I'm ashamed to post it, and you guys probably thought it was a simple typo. "On" should be "or" in the first sentence. Wow, I'm awful.

"The School of Conjuration governs raising the dead or summoning creations from Oblivion. This skill makes it easier to cast these spells as well as Soul Trap and bindings."

It makes total sense to me now, though.

Ha yeah, after seeing the video I got that too :) The on=or typo in Conjuration is the only one I saw, and I usually don't miss that stuff.

Also, in Enchanting it says "The more powerful the enchanter, the stronger the magic he can bind to his weapons and armor. So I assume/hope this will change if you're a female, but it's a small nuance at best. Not really that important.

So now the million dollar question is,"What skills are you going to use? Are you going to be a jack of all trades or focus on a few things but do them well?".

I am personally going to have a few characters but it's nice to know the skill list to start planning.

I have always been a fan of ranger type characters so I will most likely use:

Archery (Bows no brainer for a ranger)

One-Handed Weapons (Dual wielding long swords for close range)

Light Armor (Can't fight naked... or can i?)

Sneak (I'm climbing in yo windows, snatchin up yo people)

Alchemy (Healing potions and poisons)

Smithing (Crafting and maintaining top quality gear sounds cool)

I think I'll be something similar. Then again, I'll eventually be 100 in every skill. The better wording may be "What skills' perk trees will you develop?" since THAT is the aspect you can't max. But, as far as gameplay...

Smithing (I love the idea of crafting, take Vagrant Story from the PSX for example, the BEST I've ever seen)

Light Armor (never cared for heavy, and I'm more of a sneak and it doesn't look absurd in Oblivion at least. I hope they improve heavy still)

One-Handed (dual-wielding swords, but I'll definitely play around with magic nonetheless, now that it doesn't suck)

Archery (some, unless it turns out way better than Oblivion)

Sneak (I love the promises of a dynamic and intelligent sneaking system and AI/NPC reactions, I hope Bethesda delivers)

Lockpicking (self-explanatory since I love loot haha)

Pickpocket (so I can steal from silly nobles and peasants mwhahaha)

Alchemy (I've always liked alchemy...maybe because I really like picking and finding ingredients? I really hope poisoning weapons and ammo lasts instead of being a once-per-bottle thing)

....and dabble in Enchanting and Destruction too. It sounds cool. So does some of Illusion, mainly perhaps Frenzy.

Something I just realized: By "raising the dead" they probably just mean the zombie summoning spells. Derp.

While that could be it (just same old, same old) - I'm looking forward to finding out if it could also mean "necromancy", raising the slain and commanding them. That would be pretty cool.

Pure speculation here, but I wonder: will there be short bows and long bows? Crossbows? That would be very exciting, but at the moment I'm not expecting any more variety than what Oblivion had.

QuakeCon 2011: Skyrim hands-on previews

I have the answer for thta and i recently saw a short video in wich todd howard explained that there will be two types of bows: Ones that take longer to load but do more damage and Ones that load faster but do less damage. I assume the first is long bows and second is short bows.

you said: "From what I've gathered off of at least IGN's article on the hands-on demo of Skyrim, Lockpicking will be more like Fallout 3 than like Oblivion, but with two lockpicks instead of one and a more realistic twist. Not that I've ever picked a lock in real life or anything...haha. ;]"

but i have read that portion of the article and its sounds to me like its going to be the same as in fallout, with only one lockpick. the journalist says that you put 2 picks in and you stop the top pick at some point in the arc, then test the bottom pick to see if you can turn it 90 degrees. so you will use 2 picks but one pick basically replaces the screwdriver that was in fallout.

not that i mind. i liked fallouts lockpicking, even though it was rather easy.

Edited by shasjas