Random Crashes in FONV...

predmon

Hey guys, im really getting annoyed at having random crashes while im playing my game... tends to happend at random times has i said..i get that error that says " Fallout New Vegas Has Stopped Working".

Ive updated my NVIDIA drivers..disabled the steam cloud thing..dont know what to do...my comp is brand new and good, for me >_>.. i only have 3-4 mods installed, the biggest being Project Nevada, got a merge patch and everything....please can someone help out? :(

please please please i love the game so much and it sucks that i get these freaking crashes...

Some Specs:

Win7

2.8 Dual core procesor

2 RAM-getting 4 soon.

NVIDIA 9800 GT

How can i verify the cache on steam?? can you please tell me??

and yes i use the FOMM and launch it thru there..also have the NVSE.

i would appreciate it GREATLY man! please help!

Edit: BOSS, okay but..how does it work? meaning the installation...Would i still be using FOMM to run the game????

Edited by predmon

Sorry, forgot that part! Go online to Steam, click Library, right click Fallout New Vegas, go down to Properties and click it, click the tab that says Local Files, click Verify Integrity of Game Cache and let it do it's thing. It's takes a couple of minutes but will tell you that some number of files failed to validate and automatically download new ones. For most people there will always be 1 File Failed and if you verify it again the same message and download will happen again. You can continue to do this until you get bored, however for almost everyone that 1 File thing doesn't affect the game, it's just some kind of glitch.

For NVSE I just hit the tilde key to bring up the console and a message appears saying "Found NVSE and useing it." (Wish they'd correct that spelling some day!) If that message doesn't appear then type in GetNVSEVersion and it will return a 1 to show it's working. NVSE only updates when a new patch is released (sometimes several times within a few hours and days as was the case for the last patch release). So when the next one comes make sure you visit Silverlock often to keep up.

Edited by maboru

Maboru, ill get into the Cache problem in a bit, but srsly thx for that info!!

Has for the NVSE situation...I hit up the tilde or tidle key to bring up the console up, but i did not receive the msg you said " Found NVSE and useing it."... i did type what you said and it said version 2... i did not get a 1 anywhere...any info on that???

A common cause for the crashes is not loading up all of the addons and such required for another addon to work.

For example: If I load up a .esp file that requires:

FalloutNV.esm

Dead Money.esm (requires FalloutNV)

Honest Hearts.esm (requires FalloutNV)

and say.. I dont want to load up Dead Money.esm with my game this time. Then the game will "probably" just crash before it even hits the main menu.

Check your Load Orders too.

Make sure that there are no .ESP files loading before the .ESM,. FalloutNV.esm should ALWAYS be the first loaded. Everything else can be in whatever order (unless an ESM requires another .ESM to work - in which case, refer to the load order above)

By all means, this WILL NOT fix your problems completely - It will just make the issues a little less frequent. Due to the game engine being rather unstable anyway, which is why TES:Skyrim will be using a completely different engine.

I'd like to see Fallout 3 and New Vegas on a more stable engine, with better graphics. Even if the voice acting is left as it is. New Vegas had pretty nice voice acting though tbh.

In the meantime, you could download GameBooster - and have it defrag your game, or "Switch to Gaming Mode" which temporarily disables some processes to dedicate more of your RAM into the game. If you can put more money aside, try to get the maximum possible RAM out of your slots. Judging by how much RAM you have, you're playing on the minimum requirements, so that'll probably be an issue.

Hope this helps.

A common cause for the crashes is not loading up all of the addons and such required for another addon to work.

For example: If I load up a .esp file that requires:

FalloutNV.esm

Dead Money.esm (requires FalloutNV)

Honest Hearts.esm (requires FalloutNV)

and say.. I dont want to load up Dead Money.esm with my game this time. Then the game will "probably" just crash before it even hits the main menu.

Check your Load Orders too.

Make sure that there are no .ESP files loading before the .ESM,. FalloutNV.esm should ALWAYS be the first loaded. Everything else can be in whatever order (unless an ESM requires another .ESM to work - in which case, refer to the load order above)

By all means, this WILL NOT fix your problems completely - It will just make the issues a little less frequent. Due to the game engine being rather unstable anyway, which is why TES:Skyrim will be using a completely different engine.

I'd like to see Fallout 3 and New Vegas on a more stable engine, with better graphics. Even if the voice acting is left as it is. New Vegas had pretty nice voice acting though tbh.

In the meantime, you could download GameBooster - and have it defrag your game, or "Switch to Gaming Mode" which temporarily disables some processes to dedicate more of your RAM into the game. If you can put more money aside, try to get the maximum possible RAM out of your slots. Judging by how much RAM you have, you're playing on the minimum requirements, so that'll probably be an issue.

Hope this helps.

Yeah im also thinking its about the RAM..im getting a total of 4 RAM on the comp soon..maybe in a week, im gonna try some other stuff that result in mod stuff has stated on the top ones..but thanks a lot and i will manage my load order my self and with BOSS..also with Gamebooster, forgot about it.

Anything else guys??? im doing my settings to NVIDIA..drivers ready...im gonna install the mods to help..

Better Game Performance V4

BOSS

New Vegas Configator

Ive checked on my cache and it seems to be alright WITH THE SAME 1 FILE FAILED..that okay??..Defragged my HD..

What else???

Edited by predmon