Starting Oblivion, mod suggested.

ruttolomeo

Hi all.

I have bought oblivion in far away 2006 but I never played it cause too slow PC. After 5 years, and the next soon skyrim, I have decided to begin it. I would want an advice on which mods to use for patching and gameplay. Thanks in advance to who will respond to me.

Giulius.

GENERIC POST FOR THESE TOPICS:

If you want the most help possible it helps to give as much information, and uniqueness as possible.

Here's my generic written thing for these topics. if you want something specific give more details. I ask some questions in the below text as a small guide line. You can answer them if you wish:

Lists and resources for finding many popular mods, and some good mods:

(note the distinction between the two, don't just follow mindless peer pressure, try and make your own opinions and find what you'll like)

List of lists:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?showtopic=1010109

Top 100

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/top/alltime.php

Files of the months:

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/filesofthemonth.php

Hall of fame:

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.HOF

Categories, Tag search, advanced search

General help in terms of installing, utilities, workshops, etc.:

TESCOSI

Oblivion mod wiki

TES Alliance (Check The Enclave forum, the Oblivion forum, or the Voice actor forum depending on your pursuits)

Bethsoft forums-Oblivion: (Hardware/software for non mod related issues, Mods for mod users, Construction set for making mods.)

List of topics exactly like yours generic pleadings for "Any mods?" that have already been answered:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1072579-the-any-mods-list-of-topics/

Read the AZERessential topics to get the basic "get wryebash, OBMM, OBSE, start slow" basic advice for starters recommendations

If you want any further help I suggest you tell us about yourself; what you like and what you're looking for... Here's some questions to get you started:

Have you played Oblivion already?

What sort of things interest you?

What type of Character do you usually play? (good/evil, theif/mage, roleplayer/random-no-story-hack-and-slasher?)

Are there specific types of mods you think would interest you? (Quests, graphic mods, gameplay mods, overhauls, etc.)

When did you leave?

What did you not like about Oblivion? What did Oblivion not have or need more of?

Male or female character?

For the occasional "What are your must haves?"

Mostly quest mods: http://kno.li/i

My favorite quests are:

Integration (my most favorite)

Malevolent, Runied tail, Tears of the fiend

Windfall

The Blackwood company

Dremora Companion

Servant of the Dawn

Imperial Legion Faction

Gameplay mods:

Hear No Evil

Vector

Crime Has Witnesses

Audacious Magery

Conduit magic

Custom spell Icons

Training cattle

Keychain

Refscope(good for troubleshooting)

Vows and Covenants

Pluke's roleplaying persuasion

LAME (Needed for Integration)

RBP (Needed for Integration)

I'm mostly a quest mod player and I recently posted a big rundown for most of them that I've played here and here.

(Some of these are probably outdated by now)

S'lider's Copy/paste

SkyRanger-1's

Pseron Wyrd's top 10 (Don't really want a lot top 10's or simple lists but I'm desperate for cop/pastes at the moment)

Tommy H's

Hello and thanks for the reply.

I played morrowind some years ago, so i know the gameplay.

GRAPHICS/SYSTEM

Reading more about unofficials patch, i find that version 3.2 fix many bugs, so what i need is everythings that can help me to improve graphics and help to have a better system. So unofficial patch was the first, i need more?

GAMEPLAY

- I like to play my character as a mage (male/good), but i like thiefting too and have ability to use sword.

- I don't like that every enemyes rises levels with me

- I don't like guards catch me everywhere

- I don't like to have ransom endless

- I like raising abilities when using it, but i like much more to obtain experience doing missions, killing enemyes and so on.

Can you help me or need others informations?

First - before starting to pile on mods play for a while without mods to find out what you would like to be different about the game. Then, don't pile on a bunch of mods all at once as you will quickly learn that one mod can cause a game to crash and if you installed 20 at once, which one? It can take a lot of time and frustration to find out. :wallbash:

Install a simple mod first. One that adds a single item to the game that is easy to find. Make sure that one works before adding another, Adding mods one at a time allows you to build your load order (very important) as you go rather than trying to shuffle a dozen mods around to find an order that works.

I would play through at least the tutorial dungeon without mods. Save often, there is no real limit to the number of saves you can have - I have had as many as 3000. Then when you get to the end of the sewers, make a PERMANENT save with no mods - this can be a lifesaver, a save you can return to when you have problems. The tutorial will actually play well on many computers with poor graphics capability - the graphics requirements jump quite a bit when you exit the sewers into the world and sometimes some mod you added will cause problems at that point.

Two mods I'd suggest that won't affect your first play through experience other than making the game a little more enjoyable are Darnified UI (or Dark Darn if you prefer) and MiniMap. However, I'd still make a save right before the sewer exit as bben suggested before adding any mods at all.

Here's a few other mods that only affect visuals and not gameplay:

All Natural or Natural Environments

Qarl's Texture Pack

Illumination Within Revived or Animated Window Lighting System

A body replacer of you're choice (I'd suggest EVE Variants for females)

High Res Skin Textures for HGEC Body if you go with a female body replacer

Harvest Flora and Harvest Containers

Map Marker Overhaul and a Color Map mod of your choice

And again, as bben said, try installing these one at a time and running around for a little while before adding on more mods. This makes troubleshooting issues so much easier when they pop up, and if you mod enough they will pop up.

Edited by MShoap13

I suggest you read through the following, and add all the suggested patches and stability mods. Granted, it won't change the game a lot, but it WILL mean you CAN play the game AND mod it later...

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7and are thinking of modding, do yourself (and us, because you'd no doubt be asking for help with it later) a BIG favour and use Bben46's guide here to move the game from the default install position to C:\Games\Oblivion. That stops the UAC from mucking up just about every mod you try to use, including (sometimes) official patches.

Many mods will require you to be patched to version 1.2.0416, and a lot will require the Shivering Isles expansion - if you don't already have Shivering Isles, buy it and add it to the game, THEN patch it (otherwise you'll need to uninstall and reinstall from scratch to add Shivering Isles later).

I strongly suggest adding the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP), the Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch (UOSP), and (if you have Knights of the Nine and/or any of the official downloadable content files, the Unofficial Official Mods Patch (UOMP), plus the Unofficial Patch Supplementals and the UOP Dark Sister Voice Fix. They between them bugfix several thousand bugs and errors, and make the game much better to play.

Other "essential" mods are Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE), and then Fast Exit and Windom Earle's Oblivion Crash Prevention System (weOCPS) - the pair of those greatly aid stability and stop many of the more common crash scenarios from wrecking your game.

GRAPHICS/SYSTEM

Reading more about unofficials patch, i find that version 3.2 fix many bugs, so what i need is everythings that can help me to improve graphics and help to have a better system. So unofficial patch was the first, i need more?

GAMEPLAY

- I like to play my character as a mage (male/good), but i like thiefting too and have ability to use sword.

- I like raising abilities when using it, but i like much more to obtain experience doing missions, killing enemyes and so on.

1:There's a whole bunch of interesting magic mods that you might be interested in using. There's a bunch, so I'll link you to a few request topics for magic mods rather than list 10-20 something mods here. Mage mods

Must have magic mods

Mage quest mods

2:For the most part overhauls are the ones that edit this stuff. this link is kind of outdated, but it still compares the basic popular ones and what they do.

3:A recent topic on the same subject

4: You mean money? Enhanced Economy allows you to customize how much money you get from just about everything so you can lower it a bit.

5: Oblivion XP

GRAPHICS/SYSTEM

GAMEPLAY

1:There's a whole bunch of interesting magic mods that you might be interested in using. There's a bunch, so I'll link you to a few request topics for magic mods rather than list 10-20 something mods here. Mage mods

Must have magic mods

Mage quest mods

2:For the most part overhauls are the ones that edit this stuff. this link is kind of outdated, but it still compares the basic popular ones and what they do.

3:A recent topic on the same subject

4: You mean money? Enhanced Economy allows you to customize how much money you get from just about everything so you can lower it a bit.

5: Oblivion XP

Reneer's Guard Overhaul covers 3 and 4.

Hello all and many thanks for replay.

Reading your posts i will in order:

1) Buy and install shivering isles;

2) Install official patch 1.2;

3) Install official DLC (if i buy);

4) Exit the first dungeon and save;

5) Install UOP 3.2 + UOP_DarkSisterVoiceFix_v10-33514.omod

6) Install v1_4_0_Self-Installing_EXE_version-10739.exe

7) Install Unofficial_Patch_Supplementals-27710-3-3-7.7z

8) Install Unofficial_Official_Mods_Patch_v15_Installer_Version-9969.exe

9) Install BTmodv220.exe

10) Install FrancescosLeveledCreaturesItemsMod.exe

11) Install Oblivion_XP_4-1-9a-35333-4-1-9a.7z

12) Install Reneers_Guard_Overhaul_255-5977-2-55.zip

13) Install MiniMap_v0x7x2a-26220.zip

14) Install Natural_Environments_v2.1.3.zip

15) Install elven_map_redux_v2.rar

Can you check my installation list?

You think that some mods are missing for me and my game style?