Low FPS, Where's my bottleneck?

LastQuestion

I've been heavily modding Oblivion goty and have finally finished installing everything I want into a stable build. Needless to say my fps took a hit for each intensive mod I installed. Before RAEVWD and Open Cities I would get a somewhat steady 40fps. Afterwards I'll get 30-40 outside and go down to 25 when approaching a city. In some parts of the city I'll drop to 14 fps, but mostly I'm around 18-25. I thought his was due simply from my hardware reaching it's limits but a part of me just didn't see how a quad core and a 570gtx were unable to bulldoze through everything. So I did some basic troublshooting. I put EVGA precision and Task Manger in a second monitor(hdtv actually) and started up Oblivion. I went to an area where I get 14-18 fps and looked at resources being used. To my surprise my gpu is only 50-60% under load, my cpu is 40-50% under load(multiple cores under load_primarily 2 cores tho), my RAM had 1.1 gb free, vram however only had ~100 MB free. So I'm curious, what's causing my fps to drop so much here. The only thing is short supply is vram and I didn't think vram would limit fps so much. Is my vram being nearly full causing this or should I look elsewhere for increasing fps? Could is be that the Byro engine itself is what's causing things to slowdown? Specs and Mods below.

PC specs: Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3($50 mobo), G.SKILL ddr2-800 RAM, Phenom II X4 940 @3.3, EVGA superclocked GTX 570, Western Digital 1tb Caviar Black(300GB free), W7-64 Ultimate, resolution 1680x1050, game version: Steam GoTY.

Installed Mods: QTP3, UOP_3.2, QTP3_UOP32 Patch, MEAT, Natural Faces, All Natural, Deadly Reflex(all recommended supporting mods as well -HUD mod), Immersive Interiors, Alive Waters, Subtle Sun, Beautiful Stars, Improved Tree/Flora/Doors/1&2, Improved Meats and Vegetables, RAEVWD(configured with TES4LoDGen), Open Cities, and Darnified UI.

I also have the 4gb patch, OSR, FoV Modifier, and OBGEv3. All optional files for OBGEv3 except Physically Correct Sky are installed and working. Shaders I use are Crysis DoF, God Rays, Color Correction, SSAO, and SSII. My oblivion config is edited to increase LoD object rendering, tree detail, and the distance at which grass is rendered. OBSE & Nifse are installed ofc, as well as the mesh fixes provided by Smooth for DR6.

Edited by LastQuestion

(1) Oblivion is primarily a single core game. Ini tweaks let it use a second core. Basicaly, though, much of your CPU is doing nothing and can't be changed.

(2) Oblivion doesn't make efficient use of modern GPUs either - again, it's single thread so a mumti-thread GPU will top out at one core flat out, maybe a little more with tweaks.

(3) Wait for Skyrim and hopefully it'll be mumti-thread and multi-core GPU "out of the box" ... meanwhile live with what you get, or throttle back on the eye candy a bit - QTP reduced and redimized - PYFFI your meshes, etc.

Edited by MarkInMKUK