Acrobatics and Atheltics? WTF!

deama

i think its agood idea to remove them because there was no use in them, appart from making your character look stupid and run and jump like they had godly powers.

Thats what I mean .. I think it could be done right with the proper animations and right restrictions but not this time around sadly.. I'm 100% certain the next elder scrolls game will be on DX11 and the next gen consoles since they are sure to work on fallout 4 next and that will take a year or two .. the next gen of consoles is around the corner .. and as good as PC are these days they are still being limited by consoles .. the animations look bad mostly due to the physics they use .. take GTA for example .. but having a complex aniamtion system in an open world RPG like this is to much for this gen of consoles to handle so the epic jumps look weird and floaty .. I could see a better physics animation system work with a super jump

skyrim has DX11 and it wasnt remove because animations.

Is it using DX11 though? .. I doubt it .. only a handful of games have .. and I know thats not the only reason it was removed but it was a key reason .. the animation looked silly when the character started jumping to high and to far .. they claim that it was just a pointless skill and made dungeons harder to design for like with the teliport spell .. but even though I agreed with that reasoning earlier in the thread I still see some uses for it .. future more complex titles "fingers crossed" .. more = better

First of all, acrobatics is there in the form of fatigue. Second of all they never said they removed the stuff acrobatics does. Just like they said with your Fatigue getting higher you run faster. Well there is Speed and Athletics just there. Skyrim will use DX11 in a limited to "all the way form" if I remember right. In other words if your Video Card can't handle DX11 (Mine supports it but lags crazy when I use it as well as the Textures messes up. It is new but even the new Video Cards don't support it all the way. Which is why Devs aren't making DX11 required. If they made DX11 required it would be like making Skyrim use a 64bit exe only. Some still use 32bit OS so they would lose out.) That is all I have to say. I'm trying to eat supper so that is why I'm closing up this statement, though I still have more to say.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression of interviews about Acrobatics/Athletics is that they were trying to cut down on exploits and shortcuts, as others have said (power leveling by jumping, levitation/teleportation, etc.); but, this was only part of it.

I think it was Pete Hines that said they don't want skills that you're forced to level just by playing, regardless of your play style. Raise your hand if you played through Oblivion or Morrowind without ever jumping or running? Probably not a lot of hands, except for the perfect-level obsessed. They trimmed the skill list so that you only have skills that are consciously used and improved, and this makes for a better experience when tailoring your character to your image. In other words, you only level from the stuff you want to use.

NOOOO!!!!! THEY ARE GONE!? I DIDNT EVEN KNOW UNTIL NOW!!!

NO MEDIEVAL PARKOUR D:

EDIT: Just read the post saying they arent gone, just the skills

right, i shouldve read thread before posting

Edited by TheMysteriousTraveler

running fast is like in gears of war now .. you can run very fast so long as your stemina is up .. I like this ... the jumping skill is gone completely as far as I'm aware .. they might level it a bit so you just automagicly jump higher as you go .. but todd howard made it sound like they cut them both completely .. somthing along the lines of *everyone wants to run fast and jump high? so why make them a skill*

Just like they said with your Fatigue getting higher you run faster.

Actually they said that the higher your fatigue the longer you will be able to sprint and speed will be determined by the type of armor your wearing and how much weight your carrying.

running fast is like in gears of war now .. you can run very fast so long as your stemina is up .. I like this ... the jumping skill is gone completely as far as I'm aware .. they might level it a bit so you just automagicly jump higher as you go .. but todd howard made it sound like they cut them both completely .. somthing along the lines of *everyone wants to run fast and jump high? so why make them a skill*

That's cool! Do you have the source for that? I'd like to read or hear it. [:

That's cool! Do you have the source for that? I'd like to read or hear it. [:

I honestly can't remember .. I do know it wasn't called a "Gears of War" running system lols.. That's just what I call it .. But you run very fast till your Fatigue/Stamina drains .. So theres basically three speeds .. Walk, Run, Speed Run... Also you can only run moving forward .. no more running backwards out of a battle.

They removed them because they want to stray away from skills that passively increase all the time. They want each and every skill to feel like you are doing something rather than just running or spamming jump all the time. Also the benefits of the skills were very lackluster. Athletics only offer increased fatigue regeneration and acrobatics only offered the side rolls and back flips which almost no one used. The speed bonus and jump on water from either skill were easily trumped by easy to acquire Fortify Speed and Water Walking potions or spells.

I think maybe the two skills could have been melding with hand to hand as a fitness skill or something but I see why they cut them.

Well, many of the skills were abusable in Oblivion. Sneaking in the room of the guy you kill to join the Dark Brotherhood. Running between towns spamming Heals/Detect Life/Illumination/Summoning Spells. A custom spell that did one point of fire damage you spammed. (Didn't they even have a tip or something regarding that?) I understand removing them, but it isn't like those skills were unique in the ability to abuse.