Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called not tying Steamworks into the Steam app. I have no problem with either on their own. Steam itself should be optional, Steamworks as an online authentication DRM is acceptable. This way EVERYONE is happy. Even the pirates. Who are happy anyway.

^This. A week ago, I thought that Steamworks was a one-time online activation; I learned otherwise after reading up around here. I'm keeping my pre-order for a hard copy at Gamestop despite the Steam requirement, but it troubles me how much Bethesda's decision for Steamworks upsets the PC gaming populace. I worry this may tarnish the release of an otherwise epic game.

Is there a significant benefit for the constant-authentication provided by the Steam application, compared to an initial online activation that can only be validated through Steamworks?

Is there a significant benefit for the constant-authentication provided by the Steam application, compared to an initial online activation that can only be validated through Steamworks?

It's just policing honest fans sadly. It doesn't effect piracy or people who will crack the game. I'll buy both a 360 and PC copy but I may end up cracking it so I can play the game. I often use no cd cracks as well. Just to keep my original disks available for future use, as most often even the disk drive will cause surface damage to a disk.

I'm against piracy, but I'm against this as well...

It's called not tying Steamworks into the Steam app. I have no problem with either on their own. Steam itself should be optional, Steamworks as an online authentication DRM is acceptable. This way EVERYONE is happy. Even the pirates. Who are happy anyway.

Well you have the in-game overlay steam provides.

Just admint it you pirate all your games, if pirate one game why buy games at all?

Agreed. The whole issue is caused by the piracy in the first place.

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/791728635_VJ8Qa-L.jpg

Don't like the DRM? Complain, make your voice heard, and don't buy it (or at least wait for a while so that you aren't increasing the preorder and initial sales).

EDIT: Oops, when I clicked this thread it took me directly to page 8. Didn't notice until now that there were even more pages...

Edited by amycus

I agree wholeheartedly. Complaining about DRM, then pirating the game does not solve the problem. It makes it worse, and I would suspect is the reason for the current overly-restrictive implementations of DRM. This way the companies only see piracy persisting. If the same people were to hold off on buying the game and complain directly to the companies, then this is the trend they would see.