Steamworks confirmed.

ThomasKra

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Complain to who? Beth isn't the one who is publishing the game, it's Zenmax. Beth is the developer and doesn't have a saying on things such as marketing or DRM. This is another grubby Valve trick to highlight their store to everyone who is buying on the physical disk. If that's how Zenmax and Beth are going to publish their games for now on, then I'm not going to touch their products ever again. I can deal with one-time activation but I can't deal with being forced to use Steam.

Publicly traded companies like bethesda really don't have much say over DRM. It comes down to whatever the clueless investors deem "failing to protect their assets".

Actually, as far as I know, Bethesda is not a publicly traded company. Did you hear that somewhere or are you just assuming it to be true? I checked, wanting to invest in them, and could only find information to the fact that they are not traded.

I had no idea that they had done some kind of hook up with AMD/ATI until I got my new Skyrim ready system, installed Steam and..."Would you like Steam to update your video drivers?". And I find they have installed a video driver updater programme! Gaaaah! I do not appreciate that!

Yeah, reset my drivers, too, and I HAVE an ATI card. Problem was, it reset my drivers with card-incompatible drivers and my whole system went 800x600 red/blue/etc. And that made it Very difficult to uninstall the drivers as the systems options windows were Huge and I couldn't see all the buttons, etc. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/woot.gif

Thankfully, I had paid attention to the fact that Steam had installed this Catalyst control center, so on that I went and uninstalled what Steam installed, and downloaded from the Catalyst site the version that I needed for my graphics card and got it all working. That was a very hectic hour, though...not fun. Not to say I know a lot about pc's, because I don't, but someone who would have known less in that situation would have been screwed, and screwed precisely in the moment that they would have been expecting to be enjoying their brand-new game. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/nuke.gif

But other than that (and other than fighting the fact that Steam CAN turn your auto-updates back on, maybe on updates?...), Steam gives me great possibilities in gaming...I live in Italy but I'm American-born. I want my games in English, and Steam gives me this, so yay Steam! http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

Umm the Donating is through Zenimax and they only do large amounts of money if I remember right. the 150 Million dollar investment to Zenimax allowed them to buy Id Software. So maybe with tweaking your search you can find that there are parts in only some ways you can donate.

Complain to who? Beth isn't the one who is publishing the game, it's Zenmax. Beth is the developer and doesn't have a saying on things such as marketing or DRM. This is another grubby Valve trick to highlight their store to everyone who is buying on the physical disk. If that's how Zenmax and Beth are going to publish their games for now on, then I'm not going to touch their products ever again. I can deal with one-time activation but I can't deal with being forced to use Steam.

My point is that there's a more constructive way to make one's voice heard than just complaining here, and on forums like this. If Zenimax is indeed the decision maker, here's their contact page including email.

I'm not saying it will affect change (there's no way to be sure), but it's a concerned citizen's best bet.

Piracy was high even before DRM. DRM was invented to temporarily stop it. Yes I said temporarily. A DRM is successful if Pirates can't crack so or so game for a period of time making gamers that usually pirate go buy the game. This is to increase their sells. People may say that Piracy doesn't affect sells, it does actually. Also consoles have pirated games as well. But its more their security feature they have to make it playable. I HATE Piracy. Main reason why many of my favorite used to be PC games are going console and dumbing down the games. (Not only reason but the most Major factor of it.) Also the whole argument that a company is rich I don't need to pay them they are pigs or whatever is Stupid. If a Developer doesn't get sells up like they can they most likely won't make the next game of it and can get some real loses closing down certain IP's or such for expense. If Skyrim for example was Pirated heavy they might just go Console only. I'm sure everyone here would utterly hate that. As I said Consoles can have have Pirated games but there is too many things that sway people away from it.

As for that link maybe I should go to a Pirate site and post a link to a Virus or something (Joke of course that would be going as low as them.) But seriously I wish people would search "Piracy and its disadvantages" so more would think twice about Pirating seriously. As for Cracks my Patent Lawyer friend buys a game then uses a crack only for not having to have the game in the Drive. That is one feature that is good about Steam once installed I no longer need to put my Disc in the Drive. Cracks are a grey area cause they can be used for reasons like just not wanting to put the Disc in. But since those dumb Pirates had to make them bad like that it's not an area I like, cracks are now a "Stranger Danger" for me. I don't use them. But still they were creating by Pirates for Pirates, Cracks are dirty. No Pun intended.

Piracy was high even before DRM. DRM was invented to temporarily stop it. Yes I said temporarily. A DRM is successful if Pirates can't crack so or so game for a period of time making gamers that usually pirate go buy the game. This is to increase their sells. People may say that Piracy doesn't affect sells, it does actually. Also consoles have pirated games as well. But its more their security feature they have to make it playable. I HATE Piracy. Main reason why many of my favorite used to be PC games are going console and dumbing down the games. (Not only reason but the most Major factor of it.) Also the whole argument that a company is rich I don't need to pay them they are pigs or whatever is Stupid. If a Developer doesn't get sells up like they can they most likely won't make the next game of it and can get some real loses closing down certain IP's or such for expense. If Skyrim for example was Pirated heavy they might just go Console only. I'm sure everyone here would utterly hate that. As I said Consoles can have have Pirated games but there is too many things that sway people away from it.

As for that link maybe I should go to a Pirate site and post a link to a Virus or something (Joke of course that would be going as low as them.) But seriously I wish people would search "Piracy and its disadvantages" so more would think twice about Pirating seriously. As for Cracks my Patent Lawyer friend buys a game then uses a crack only for not having to have the game in the Drive. That is one feature that is good about Steam once installed I no longer need to put my Disc in the Drive. Cracks are a grey area cause they can be used for reasons like just not wanting to put the Disc in. But since those dumb Pirates had to make them bad like that it's not an area I like, cracks are now a "Stranger Danger" for me. I don't use them. But still they were creating by Pirates for Pirates, Cracks are dirty. No Pun intended.

Yes but what about affordability and being competitive beyond making profit and shareholders? I want the next game to come out sure, and of course it's expensive industry, but if you really want people to buy you have to take a hit in the sales department. You can make money through cheaper retail cost. I will buy the game full price of course, but what of those who want the game but their budget doesn't allow for them to get it? They have to wait a longer period for the price to drop.

I know it's off topic, but it's a good alternative to fight piracy as well, as I know people who would rather download a game then pay full price, because of something as stupid as it being a single player only...

Sadly this is the new trend of gaming. Along with stupid things like pay for online with sports games and such(not naming any companies, but I'm sure you know who I mean), or paying for content you already have on the disk. Companies will make their money hand over fist, in anyway they can. We don't live in a "fair" world. People invest in games because they want to see large income return. That's the only reason. So of course steamworks and such are good things to show investors, put them at ease about their financial investment.

Edited by SHIROryuu

<br>
<br>Piracy was high even before DRM. DRM was invented to temporarily stop it. Yes I said temporarily. A DRM is successful if Pirates can't crack so or so game for a period of time making gamers that usually pirate go buy the game. This is to increase their sells. People may say that Piracy doesn't affect sells, it does actually. Also consoles have pirated games as well. But its more their security feature they have to make it playable. I HATE Piracy. Main reason why many of my favorite used to be PC games are going console and dumbing down the games. (Not only reason but the most Major factor of it.) Also the whole argument that a company is rich I don't need to pay them they are pigs or whatever is Stupid. If a Developer doesn't get sells up like they can they most likely won't make the next game of it and can get some real loses closing down certain IP's or such for expense. If Skyrim for example was Pirated heavy they might just go Console only. I'm sure everyone here would utterly hate that. As I said Consoles can have have Pirated games but there is too many things that sway people away from it.<br><br>As for that link maybe I should go to a Pirate site and post a link to a Virus or something (Joke of course that would be going as low as them.) But seriously I wish people would search "Piracy and its disadvantages" so more would think twice about Pirating seriously. As for Cracks my Patent Lawyer friend buys a game then uses a crack only for not having to have the game in the Drive. That is one feature that is good about Steam once installed I no longer need to put my Disc in the Drive. Cracks are a grey area cause they can be used for reasons like just not wanting to put the Disc in. But since those dumb Pirates had to make them bad like that it's not an area I like, cracks are now a "Stranger Danger" for me. I don't use them. But still they were creating by Pirates  for Pirates, Cracks are dirty. No Pun intended.<br>
Yes but what about affordability and being competitive beyond making profit and shareholders? I want the next game to come out sure, and of course it's expensive industry, but if you really want people to buy you have to take a hit in the sales department. You can make money through cheaper retail cost. I will buy the game full price of course, but what of those who want the game but their budget doesn't allow for them to get it? They have to wait a longer period for the price to drop. <br><br>I know it's off topic, but it's a good alternative to fight piracy as well, as I know people who would rather download a game then pay full price, because of something as stupid as it being a single player only... <br><br>Sadly this is the new trend of gaming. Along with stupid things like pay for online with sports games and such(not naming any companies, but I'm sure you know who I mean), or paying for content you already have on the disk. Companies will make their money hand over fist, in anyway they can. We don't live in a "fair" world. People invest in games because they want to see large income return. That's the only reason. So of course steamworks and such are good things to show investors, put them at ease about their financial investment.<br>
<br><br>Actually for most that have this way of thinking your are like "Only once its a good game and this will be the only time." But many do it after it because they see that they don't have to pay anymore. Sadly it's the truth that many enter piracy for one time but end up doing it multiple times. To many it is basically an addiction in a way. Some don't do this but many do. I have a friend that I argue about with Pirating. He first started off saying I want this game but don't have the money and said he would pay everything later. Turns out he still is Pirating and has already pirated many things. The idea of I will pay for this later if I like it or such doesn't hold up. The average Pirate probably a years steals over $400 I'm willing to guess more but this is my estimate as I can't find facts. I would so closer to $1000 or more. But if you have the money now what makes you think you will have it later upon you steal more. It is basically a debt you say you will take care of but you can't. If you don't have the money don't steal it plain and simple. Wait for a party or something at least that you could get it. If you have parties that is. Still third world countries don't have benefits of computers. (A very rarity of them do.) At least you have the benefit of getting a computer. And people like pirates use the money excuse for reasons that in my opinion are invalid. Basically if some in the Third world countries wanted a computer it will be hard. They would have to steal. But in reality they have more things to worry about like food. The ones that at least have the ability to have a computer are far more "lucky" (Putting religious term aside "Blessed".) than those that don't. You should be thankful. Not trying to be mean but as I said there are people far worse off than those that can't play games. Heck most of them haven't seen a game less alone ever heard of the term game in their life for such stuff. (Not talking about Tag or something I guess it would be better to say Video Game.)

This thread is turning into a bunch of rehashed this and that. This stuff has been said over and over.

Its a dangerous subject to debate around here, so lets just put an end to the piracy subject before anybody ends up getting into trouble. And lets PLEASE avoid this later on?

Sorry to spoil your fun here folks, but thin ice is thin ice.

-DarkeWolf, Nexus Staff