30 min demo and prerelease question

Treltic

My first topic so go easy. I know you guys get every new person asking the same questions but I searched for this one and could not find it. Long time fan here. I was trying to ignore Skyrim so the wait would not be terrible but now I find myself looking for new info every day so three months will drag I am sure.

Anyway I watched the demo the other day and noticed the screaming live audience was asking him to go in the water. He then dipped into the shallows and quickly got out again like I am sure all of you have seen. Now I know they have improved the water(graphics look great) and I know there are fish so my question was why did he not want to go in and has anyone got any kind of glimpse at swimming or underwater images?

I know it was a scripted run and they only wanted to show certain things but it was curious to me. I could see them not wanting to reveal something big but that would have seemed like a small revelation.

One more question. Only one time in my 30 years have I ever been really ridiculously excited for a game and that was oblivion. The marketing was fantastic and one of the best things was the short videos they made public everyday leading up to the release date. Has anyone heard if they will do this again?

My personal opinion is that the water looked like crap <_< but so did Fallout 3's water on the 360 .. the PC water always looks much better .. and no one is saying anything about future marketing .. they hint at some stuff coming soon on the blog like PAX .. I'm hoping it will be a crazy amount of new videos and demos as it gets closer and closer .. maybe right after pax they just go nuts and show some great things :3 these recent character screens are a good start though!

Thanks! Yeah imo I thought the water in the cave where the character walked through looked great. It was cutting around the rocks in a very realistic fashion but of course they picked only the best to show so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

However, I was showing my brother Oblivion the other day and anything will be better than that. I understand why it was like that then but hearing them say their is fish in the water and seeing some of the images of waterfalls, etc at least tells me they are trying to go in the right direction.

I find myself looking for new info every day so three months will drag I am sure.

I know it was a scripted run and they only wanted to show certain things but it was curious to me. I could see them not wanting to reveal something big but that would have seemed like a small revelation.

The marketing was fantastic and one of the best things was the short videos they made public everyday leading up to the release date. Has anyone heard if they will do this again?

I've been looking up new information everyday since freaking February. But, the way I see it, all time is relative. Yesterday is today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream. That sort of keeps me going, not that it pertains to any of this.

As for the water in the demo, I believe that Todd may have just been teasing the crowd. They were all crying for him to go into the water, and so he went into the water, just as they wished. And Todd had a troll face on when he did it. That, or he is still running the Alpha build they were using months ago for the 'one on one' demos with journalists. So it could be that the water wasn't entirely ready in the Alpha build, and therefore Todd decided that he would just get his boots wet.

And the marketing, I bet they'll put up a commercial or two. I remember I bought Portal 2 because of the commercials, without playing Portal or having any prior knowledge of the game, besides that it was a puzzle game, of course. Anyways, big games always put out a commercial, so my guess is that it will be no different for Skyrim. Especially since they did commercials for Oblivion. They might even have the "preorder at GameStop" commercials that have become so popular. But, we will have to wait and see. There's no telling whether Bethesda has decided that the amount of media that has already been released was enough or not.

Right now, Skyrim is at about 325,000 preorders on the Xbox 360 in America, and went up by about 50,000 last week. With 13 weeks until release, I can't imagine any less than 500,000 preorders for the 360, and I'm guessing there will be 700,000 to 900,000 preorders on the 360 alone a week before release. Again, whether Bethesda thinks this is enough or not will determine whether they put commercials out or not. But this is just speculation on my part.

I agree with what you said more than it being something negative. Either he was teasing or it was an Alpha build like you said and he was not prepared for the outcry for a watery excursion. I bet they thought "god they care about the water that much" but fans of this series are different than any other video games I have ever seen. People truly are thrilled and they becomes like little kids (myself included).

Anyway, I hope they do the internet release video teasers again but aside from that I will hang out here and try to keep up on new info.

And in regards to fish in the water. Hopefully we can get some fishing in there or at least some bow fishing.

Edited by Treltic

I agree with what you said more than it being something negative. Either he was teasing or it was an Alpha build like you said and he was not prepared for the outcry for a watery excursion. I bet they thought "god they care about the water that much" but fans of this series are different than any other video games I have ever seen. People truly are thrilled and they becomes like little kids (myself included).

Anyway, I hope they do the internet release video teasers again but aside from that I will hang out here and try to keep up on new info.

And in regards to fish in the water. Hopefully we can get some fishing in there or at least some bow fishing.

Welcome to the site Treltic. :] I agree with what was said before, I felt like the QuakeCon video's water from the water looked kinda crappy but the E3 demo's portion in the cave with the light staff showed some great water effects. And I'd really like some fishing, I still remember fishing in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and it was a blast, so here's to hoping it's done in Skyrim. And if not, a well-made mod. :]

And I can totally relate to feeling like a little kid again, I'm pretty freaking excited and I'm 26 hahaha.

Welcome to the site Treltic. :] I agree with what was said before, I felt like the QuakeCon video's water from the water looked kinda crappy but the E3 demo's portion in the cave with the light staff showed some great water effects. And I'd really like some fishing, I still remember fishing in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and it was a blast, so here's to hoping it's done in Skyrim. And if not, a well-made mod. :]

And I can totally relate to feeling like a little kid again, I'm pretty freaking excited and I'm 26 hahaha.

They had salmon in the demo, didn't say how he got it? lol

I've been blessed to not dig into anything until now. The "video" is what dragged me here. Been glad to learn what I have but at the same time, I wish I left more to the release. Love to have new discovery feeling with every aspect of the game. Sadly I'm addicted to new info, can't wait so I dig deep looking for drops of water.

Edited by SHIROryuu

I find myself looking for new info every day so three months will drag I am sure.

The marketing was fantastic and one of the best things was the short videos they made public everyday leading up to the release date. Has anyone heard if they will do this again?

I've been looking up new information everyday since freaking February. But, the way I see it, all time is relative. Yesterday is today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream. That sort of keeps me going, not that it pertains to any of this.

As for the water in the demo, I believe that Todd may have just been teasing the crowd. They were all crying for him to go into the water, and so he went into the water, just as they wished. And Todd had a troll face on when he did it. That, or he is still running the Alpha build they were using months ago for the 'one on one' demos with journalists. So it could be that the water wasn't entirely ready in the Alpha build, and therefore Todd decided that he would just get his boots wet.

And the marketing, I bet they'll put up a commercial or two. I remember I bought Portal 2 because of the commercials, without playing Portal or having any prior knowledge of the game, besides that it was a puzzle game, of course. Anyways, big games always put out a commercial, so my guess is that it will be no different for Skyrim. Especially since they did commercials for Oblivion. They might even have the "preorder at GameStop" commercials that have become so popular. But, we will have to wait and see. There's no telling whether Bethesda has decided that the amount of media that has already been released was enough or not.

Right now, Skyrim is at about 325,000 preorders on the Xbox 360 in America, and went up by about 50,000 last week. With 13 weeks until release, I can't imagine any less than 500,000 preorders for the 360, and I'm guessing there will be 700,000 to 900,000 preorders on the 360 alone a week before release. Again, whether Bethesda thinks this is enough or not will determine whether they put commercials out or not. But this is just speculation on my part.

The preorder thing has been at Gamestop for months now. Almost everytime I go in Skyrim's Official Trailer is being shown at the Dragonshout part. It's an awesome chilling feeling. About the 360 that is that alone so over 1 Million has already preordered it. For the Demo Bethsoft confirmed its the Alpha Built they showed to the journalists just with the Scripted Dragons. As you know the Dragons are rarely going to be like that when you play the game. I say 1/100 times you try to fight the Giant not Dragon picks him up. Probably even less as that Dragon was Scripted to show up there as well as the other Dragons. Bethsoft themselves said it will not be like this in the game. They said they would have had to play over 100 times for something barely close to happen like this. So they had it scripted.

I think the main reason he didn't venture further into the water is because flowing water now has a pushing effect on the player and had he gone in over his head it would have carried him down stream and away from his focused path in the demo, screwing up the flow of the presentation.

I think the main reason he didn't venture further into the water is because flowing water now has a pushing effect on the player and had he gone in over his head it would have carried him down stream and away from his focused path in the demo, screwing up the flow of the presentation.

Interesting, I haven't read or heard that tidbit on water physics yet. Do you have an idea of where to send me to check out that info?