Nexus redesign finalised, launching next week

Dark0ne

I hate to say it but I hate the redesign. Why? It's the layout. On the old design, almost everything I wanted was displayed on the home page and was 1 click away. Files is the perfect example. I could look to the right, see what I wanted to look at and select a category (Top Files, Categories, etc). Now I have to go Files at the top of the page, select that, then select what I want to see. Same for images and for everything else. All that was on the homepage is now tucked away on another page. And in the meantime, I've got all this useful space on the left and right that is blank that was once used.

Big step backwards IMO.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am not seeing anywhere to look at files i have tracked, i can see tracking centre but i can't see pictures of the files so its not the same.

I also noticed the sub-title of any pictures i have uploaded has been removed so allot of the names of my pictures make no sense?

Still getting used to the new design. so i may just be missing something??

Hey all,

I've been a passive nexus member for years enjoying the works of a great many modders giving kudos and thumbs up/down in moderation (probably no more then 20 total in six years). I always try to keep my messages limited to the scope of issue and I'll try to do that here.

I can understand to desire/"need" to "update" and "modernize" but I have generally subscribed to the old saying of, "if it ain't broke - don't fix it." Now, I've used the Opera web browser since before FireFox, Chrome, etc, etc even existed. Opera has always followed the strictest web standards and while it has problems with some webpages it is generally reliable and I just accept the fact that some pages have bad web coders. There were some strange render quirks with the nexus sites in Opera but I just chocked it up to me using a non-mainstream browser. However, the recent changes, while fixing some of those bugs, has introduced a rather large UI bug, imo - It looks like we went from DarnifiedUI to Vanilla (tes mod joke). This may be desirable in some cases but in others it may have an effect which is worse then the benifits gained.

If the back end API did not change significantly that the old front end UI could still be used or used with reasonable modification then I propose that as part of the cookie which is stored on the client also stores which UI is prefered for the user. Being CSS what it is, I'm sure this would be a popular solution to what some see as a downgrade.

PS, the main forums could do with a "karma +/-" for thread posts so people can agree or not without leaving 500 pages on a thread.

I've been a member since 2006 and a user since 2004 (iirc), but honestly was this interface change really needed?

No offense, but the interface is poor. Poor because links are displaced in an illogical way, take facebook as an example: it has been praised for its easy to use interface, because has the perk to let you find everything you search from your main page, and the results are displayed in only one scroll down page. This site is exactly the opposite, to use tag search I had to navigate in a scroll down menu, then the low number of results per page forced me to navigate again a lot of pages...

Come on, ten results per page... on a site which has like thousands of mods... ?!?!

I'm really sorry if this seems pointless QQ, but I had to express myself because I think you are losing potential users if you continue to adopt this user-unfriendly interface.

If you think this my post is pure drama, just delete it; I'll never post such things again.

Thanks

PS. I understand that the ten results per page is a choice that should bring you more premium accounts, and thus, more money; but what if it contributes to reduce the user-base? You know, an active community adapts fast, and even faster it finds new way of expressing itself...

Maybe we need some time to appreciate (or not)the new style...Personally,I like it but the chosen colors are too garish. Anyway, the real problem is that I cannot look for the files by sorting because there is no button to confirm the type of search in the index category if I want to sort by number of downloads or by upload dates etc...). Edited by klitchov

people (including myself) don't like change. Keep on keeping on and thanks for maintaining the greatest user created content site and community. P.S. Bethesda owes you guys a HUGE thanks too!

TO be honest i'm so pissed with the new design.

The [search] are not as effective as before but most of all everything is completely vague compare to the previous... not to mention the image sliders. All text rich and hardly attractive.

I'd say more, but i probably will get teh bann hammer for talking too much critics.

Guess we'll just have to live with it.

Edited:

* Face palm.

Edited by homaredou

After reading comments from others, mine would just be a repeat of the complaints. The new site was not designed with the member in mind. Every thing you want to do is slower, less efficient, and aggravating, since we have something to compare it to. I thought space was wasted in the previous design, but you have managed to redefine "wasted space". Maybe the tweaks and improvements you have mentioned for the future will address all of our concerns, but as you said, the foundation dictates the ultimate capacity and utility of the site and so far all I see is a lot of fluff and no substance [yes, just like my complaint]. As I've said other members have expressed their concerns in greater detail and with more eloquence; I'm hoping my views add weight to the message that you seem to have left out the user in your redesign. Who does it benefit?

P.S.

Was planning to upgrade to premium, now I'm not.

Edited by ThD17gj692