"Aversive" therapy

Lehcar

Under the guise of "helping" them. They do things there that we wouldn't do to folks on death row, or any other criminal in prison, how does them being mentally deficient make them any less human, and deserving of decent treatment?
FTFY

You need to check your tone. Nobody here has said or even implied that these people need to be treated any differently, excluding your accusatory argument. :dry:

They must have some fantastic lawyers, I'm amazed the place is still open and the perpetrators are not behind bars.

Slap a label like "science", or "therapy" on it, and wrap it in the shroud of 'furthering our knowledge', and you can basically get away with anything it seems.

Not really, it is not very common.

This to me seems like a place for rich people to get rid of their mentally ill kids.

Under the guise of "helping" them. They do things there that we can't do to folks on death row, or any other criminal in prison, how does them being mentally deficient make them any less human, and deserving of decent treatment?

Right, but I don't think it is very common for people to do inhumane things to other people under the guise of science.

Under the guise of "helping" them. They do things there that we wouldn't do to folks on death row, or any other criminal in prison, how does them being mentally deficient make them any less human, and deserving of decent treatment?
FTFY

You need to check your tone. Nobody here has said or even implied that these people need to be treated any differently, excluding your accusatory argument. :dry:

The point is, they ARE being treated differently. Behavior like this wouldn't surprise me if it were the 1950's, or so, but it isn't. Why on god's little green acre are the various rights groups, regulatory agencies, and most of all, the inmates FAMILIES allowing this to go on?

They must have some fantastic lawyers, I'm amazed the place is still open and the perpetrators are not behind bars.

Slap a label like "science", or "therapy" on it, and wrap it in the shroud of 'furthering our knowledge', and you can basically get away with anything it seems.

Not really, it is not very common.

This to me seems like a place for rich people to get rid of their mentally ill kids.

Under the guise of "helping" them. They do things there that we can't do to folks on death row, or any other criminal in prison, how does them being mentally deficient make them any less human, and deserving of decent treatment?

Right, but I don't think it is very common for people to do inhumane things to other people under the guise of science.

It probably isn't as uncommon as you would like to think. We just don't hear about it much.

Well, I can think of a few others, like Greenpeace, but usually they're spreading lies to starving countries, telling them that the genetically engineered food we have shown them to grow is poison and will kill them... Lots of people wave the flag of Science despite being clearly very anti-science. There are even homosexual reorientation programs funded by Christian organizations that fly under the flag of "Science".

What I'm getting at is that it's not uncommon for people to claim to be "scientists" or "scientific" but actually be acting on behalf of special interest groups. It just so happens that this particular "special interest group" is a group of rich parents who hate their children.

Well, I can think of a few others, like Greenpeace, but usually they're spreading lies to starving countries, telling them that the genetically engineered food we have shown them to grow is poison and will kill them... Lots of people wave the flag of Science despite being clearly very anti-science. There are even homosexual reorientation programs funded by Christian organizations that fly under the flag of "Science".

What I'm getting at is that it's not uncommon for people to claim to be "scientists" or "scientific" but actually be acting on behalf of special interest groups. It just so happens that this particular "special interest group" is a group of rich parents who hate their children.

On that, I will most certainly agree with you. :D