Tales of Anequina: M'Na-Dan's Tale

CoGDork

Next part--please, more feedback!

NOTE: As this story (for the most part) takes place in Elsweyr and involves mostly Khajiit, I will be using some "invented" words in the Khajiit language (aka Ta'agra) to make up for the fact that only a handful of words have been translated. At the end of each chapter, I will add a list of words and phrases I used here that the context of the story may not have made entirely clear. With that in mind, please enjoy the story!

--------------------

CHAPTER FOUR

Preparation

--------------------

"That was... an intriguing tale to say the least." The mysterious Khajiit had listened quietly to M'Na for the duration of his story, never saying a word. Here and there a peculiar expression--perhaps amusement, perhaps whimsy, perhaps something else entirely--went across his face as he listened, but was gone as quickly as it appeared. A pause occured between them as they sat across the rickety table from each other, until M'Na broke the silence:

"So will you help me?"

"That depends on what you are willing to do. Should you desire my aid, there one condition you must fulfill."

Rising from his seat, the man walked around the table to M'Na's side. "You must swear an oath. One, that you will do as I say, when I say it, without question; two, that you will put aside all thoughts of your foe until I deem you ready; and three..."

A new expression crossed his face this time, but M'Na could not quite place it; the closest emotion he could connect with it was regret, but he was not certain.

"...And three, that you will trust me--no matter what."

M'Na, without hesitation, knelt, a strange sense of purpose guiding him. "I swear. I will do whatever it takes."

"Good answer," said the Khajiit, with a smile. "I suppose, however, that you would rather not remain in such a hovel as this. Come, I will show you to my home."

"Yes, ramar."

"Please... call me Dro'Ga-Za."

--------------------

Leaving Orcrest, M'Na followed his mentor into a strange part of the desert, dotted with ruins. As they crested a hill with a strange pyramid-like structure atop it, Dro'Ga pointed across the nearby valley to a conspicuous two-story manor house amid a garden of palms. "Welcome to my home--Esmerelda Manor."

Entering the front door, M'Na was stunned--the sheer opulence of the interior was unlike anything he had seen. Several paintings of fantastic landscapes hung on the walls, while the remains of a fire smouldered beneath a finely-carved mantle. In front of the fireplace, two cushioned chairs sat, a circular end-table between them. A magnificently woven carpet covered the floor, and bookshelves lined the walls. It was at this point, however, that M'Na noticed that everything, save for one of the chairs and a bookshelf in the corner below the second-floor balcony, was covered in a thin layer of dust; This place had been long out of use, save for Dro'Ga.

"I apologize for the state of my home. I have not had any guests since I purchased it, many years ago."

"Who lived here with you, ramar? It is certainly not a home built for one..."

Ignoring his charge, Dro'Ga guided M'Na up the stairs to the second floor, and showed him to a room with a small guest bed, a mirror, and a large chest at the foot of the bed. "Here is where you will sleep. My room is at the end of the hall; I must ask you, however, not to enter my chambers without my express permission. Nor may you wander the halls of my home at night, unless I allow it. Now, if you will place your effects in the chest, and follow me once more, I will show you where we shall train."

M'Na did as he was told, then followed his master again, down the stairs and towards a pair of doors toward the rear of the manor. Stepping through, he saw a small courtyard with a cobblestone floor and a pond, lined with plants and trees that had obviously grown unchecked for some time. Dro'Ga stood in the center of the courtyard, motioning for M'Na to stand in front of him.

"Here is your first test. I will stand here, and not move from this spot, while you stand in front of me and do the same. Upon my signal, you will be given three attempts to strike me with your hands. One successful strike from you will end the lesson. Fail three times, however, and I will strike you--and you must not move from your position as you attempt to evade me."

Nodding, M'Na took his place and readied himself. After a few seconds, Dro'Ga shouted, "JIVA!"

M'Na trusted his fist out toward his master's head, but in a flash, his target had moved to the side as Dro'Ga effortlessly bent out of the way. "Ane!" His second attempt had similar results; aiming for a shoulder strike, his master again simply bent sideways, avoiding the attack entirely. "Dane!" Determined to hit at least once, M'Na threw both hands out this time, but both missed, as Dro'Ga bent backwards. "INE!"

A second later, M'Na was on his back, a swift blow to his chest having knocked him cleanly off his feet. Laughing, Dro'Ga looked down at him.

"Clearly, we are going to have to work on your technique. But it is becoming late, and I insist that you get your rest. The true training will begin tomorrow."

--------------------

Ramar--formal term indicating one's societal superior, or one's master

Dro'Ga-Za--"Old Iron-heart" ("dro"=prefix indicating maturity of age, a little more respectful than it sounds; "Ga"=heart/soul; "Za"=Metal/iron)

Jiva--"Begin", as a command ("Ji"=future-tense verb prefix; "va"= to be)

Ane, dane, ine--One, two, three, respectively

--------------------

Tell me what you think of this one--I feel a lot more comfortable now, so that probably means I'm doing something wrong. :P