⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

The Witcher 1 armors in DA: origins

acateatsarat

Today's problem :confused: : I made a shield for the armor but when I created an item in the toolset for that shield, the shield was using another model's shape and not the one I made, the interesting thing is that its appearance only changes when I equip it on a character but when I create it, it appears ordinary.

also I made a "b" version of the first armor, when I create it in the toolset it appears ordinary, but when I equip it on a character it disappears and only the character's head is seen

so any help would be appreciated

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it you got the helmet working?

I made a shield for the armor but when I created an item in the toolset for that shield, the shield was using another model's shape and not the one I made, the interesting thing is that its appearance only changes when I equip it on a character but when I create it, it appears ordinary.

Do you mean that it looks like it should in the toolset, but not in-game?

also I made a "b" version of the first armor, when I create it in the toolset it appears ordinary, but when I equip it on a character it disappears and only the character's head is seen

You are sure the character was of the same race and gender you made it for? Otherwise, check the .GDA file to make sure that it is referring to the right files. Or else it might be the files themselves that has a bad naming. Can you post what name you gave those files?

Edited by amycus

I take it you got the helmet working?

yes :thumbsup: thanks for asking, the problem was the "fullface" field, and it appears ordinary now, thanks a lot

about the shield, well...when I created it in the toolset it appeared ordinary, when I tried to see it on a character (also in the toolset as a last check), I found that it used another model other than the one it used when I first created it.

about the armor; the name I used for version a was "hm_arm_ordera_0" and the name for the b version "hm_arm_orderb_0", I'm confused because there's nothing wrong about them, but I noticed that when I rigged them on 3ds max, I was using duncan's model, and after attaching the armor's model to it, the name's still that of duncan's armor, maybe that caused a conflict between the two armors as they both made from duncan's model and I didn't change the name

Edited by acateatsarat

about the shield, well...when I created it in the toolset it appeared ordinary, when I tried to see it on a character (also in the toolset as a last check), I found that it used another model other than the one it used when I first created it.

Check it in-game to test it. Sometimes my models never show up in the preview window of the toolset at all, even though they work fine ingame.

EDIT: You can also try to change the ID number. If you have other mods installed it might be conflicting.

about the armor; the name I used for version a was "hm_arm_ordera_0" and the name for the b version "hm_arm_orderb_0", I'm confused because there's nothing wrong about them, but I noticed that when I rigged them on 3ds max, I was using duncan's model, and after attaching the armor's model to it, the name's still that of duncan's armor, maybe that caused a conflict between the two armors as they both made from duncan's model and I didn't change the name

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with your problems, but the "order" part in those names usually only consists of 3 letters, so instead of "hm_arm_ordera_0", it should be "hm_arm_orda_0".

And I don't think the problem is caused by the mesh being called "duncans armor" in 3ds max. I usually use the same vanilla mesh to paste the weights from for all my armors in "kirkwall exports", and they don't have any problem with that even if I don't change that specific name.

In your situation I would try and export them in a completely different name that ends in "a_0" instead of "b_0". I have never used a "b_0" ending, and as such it is a bit untested field of mine. Just for example, give the "b" version of the armor the name "hm_arm_prda_0" when you export it. Make sure the name of the .mao file is the same. Then update the .GDA file, and rerun (important) the toolset to try again.

Edited by amycus

Hi amycus, everything is solved now :biggrin: and the problem was with the ids I chose in the .gda file,

one last question to make this thread a reference for anyone who wants to learn how to make armors :thumbsup: ;

how do I make the skin tone on the armor changes with the face tone? I didn't encounter that issue yet but I'll sure encounter it in other armors.

a side note: I forgot to congratulate you on your "Kirkwall_Exports" project, as you can see I was very busy with these armors, I love the project very much and happy to see how it became so much popular in a short time :thumbsup:

nice work and keep it up

thanks

Edited by acateatsarat

Hi amycus, everything is solved now :biggrin: and the problem was with the ids I chose in the .gda file,

one last question to make this thread a reference for anyone who wants to learn how to make armors :thumbsup: ;

how do I make the skin tone on the armor changes with the face tone? I didn't encounter that issue yet but I'll sure encounter it in other armors.

a side note: I forgot to congratulate you on your "Kirkwall_Exports" project, as you can see I was very busy with these armors, I love the project very much and happy to see how it became so much popular in a short time :thumbsup:

nice work and keep it up

thanks

This might work differently in thewitcher textures, but in dragon age, the opacity and skin tint information can be found in the diffuse map. To tell the game to actually use this information though, you will need to change the "render semantics" in the texture options accordingly in 3ds max.

So if we take the mage champion armor as an example, it needs to use opacity for the fur and skintint for the bare skin on his arm. I do not have any emessive map though, so the appropiate render semantics for that armor is: [armor w/SkinTint][alpha blending][no emessive].

[armor w/SkinTint] stands for human skin that needs to be tinted in the same color as the face.

[alpha blending] is for setting the opacity

[no emessive] here it is turned off, but if you do have an emissive map you should have this enabled. Fenris armor in my current project uses an emessive map for those lyrium tattoos.

If your diffuse map currently doesn't hold such information yet, you will have to add it yourself. I havn't had the time to look too deeply into it myself yet, though.

please I need some help, I'm trying everything for the texture to work on the armor, I want the hands tint to change with the face color...

I tried everything , but there must be something I didn't do right, please any help would be appreciated

by the way I'm doing the texture from scratch, I only had a diffuse map and a normal map so I did the specular and the tint ones, but still it doesn't work,

thanks

hi, yesterday I said I tried everything, today I realized that I didn't try anything;

today I made some parts of the armor transparent, I did that easily by opening the diffuse map in photoshop and select everything other than the parts I want to make transparent, then copy and paste so I got a new layer and deleted the first layer and then saved using Nvidia dds plugin for photoshop and chose "DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha"

the thing that I can't do now is the tint map, I don't want to tint the armor, I just want to change the skin color with the face, I think it has something to do with masks in photoshop but I can't figure it out,

any help will be appreciated greatly, thanks and sorry for double posting

hi, yesterday I said I tried everything, today I realized that I didn't try anything;

today I made some parts of the armor transparent, I did that easily by opening the diffuse map in photoshop and select everything other than the parts I want to make transparent, then copy and paste so I got a new layer and deleted the first layer and then saved using Nvidia dds plugin for photoshop and chose "DXT5 ARGB 8 bpp | interpolated alpha"

the thing that I can't do now is the tint map, I don't want to tint the armor, I just want to change the skin color with the face, I think it has something to do with masks in photoshop but I can't figure it out,

any help will be appreciated greatly, thanks and sorry for double posting

Hi again. I actually needed help with this issue as well recently, and tmptmp was kind enough to answer:

At the moment I have no idea how to change the textures so they allow skin tint

The "bare skin" areas are defined in the alpha channel of the _0t texture (this is texture which defines the tint areas for the armour in general) Paint these areas with ~90% white and they should receive proper colouring.

If you used the .mao file from existing DAO armour then it should already enable the tint functionality as they tend to use a shader which supports it ("ArmourSkinTint" if i remember right) You might need to create your own _0t texture for the models which lack it, though.

I don't understand, I know that the alpha channel controls the skin areas, but I don't know how to make it, should I make a mask on the skin areas?! or just paint it with 90% white in the alpha channel... also I noticed that the 90% white is e3e3e3 in the palette in photoshop

I think that we don't add the alpha channel in the _0t file, it's made after we save the file according to whatever we did in the photo layer, for example if I want to make an area transparent I don't create alpha channel and make some areas black, instead I simply delete the areas I want and save it with alpha setting, then reopen and I find the alpha channel added by itself with the transparent areas black....so the same thing in the skin part I think I shouldn't add it by myself but instead it's added automatically according to whatever I do in the photo layer, so the question is how is the alpha channel created?

if I'm wrong then I'm afraid that I want more details

Edited by acateatsarat