Fee to Join the Mages Guild

Alixen

Heya

It makes no sense that beggar off the street who learned to throw a weak fireball, and not even that with game mechanics, can walk into the Mages Guild in any city and join up. Free bed, meals, potions, books and clothing. No wonder there are only one or two beggars per town; the rest are what makes up the Mages Guild. Its just a well diguised soup kitchen.

To be more serious, I want to be able to roleplay a peasant who has to work his way up to joining the Guild. Which means learning some magic first. However, that shouldn't really be enough, as magic is pretty common. He could even be just an alchemst. At the very elast there should also be a (relatively) high fee to join them, to cover at least your first few months of expenses.

Perhaps 1000 septims? It's not as high as buying a house, though more than some horses, and it would take a level one character with no combat skills time to earn. Perhaps a 'donation' required for each advancement or reccomendation also, just to 'keep the riffraff out'. It would allow for ingame spacing between quests that isn't self imposed.

Anyone willing to help with this?

Edited by Alixen

Your the one being kind enough to make it. On a lore front however, i'd say no actually, since the Fighters Guild are more... grounded. If you can fight well they want you, even seek you out to join them whenever you talk to a Fighters Guild npc. They don't seem to have that 'exclusve club' vibe. =D

Thanks for being willing to do this.

This seems like a good idea. I'd definatly download this if it gets made.

Although, still, if you got any mods that add spells at the start of the game (smite of order, etc.), it might be pretty unrealistic because according to this you start of without spells :P

Edited by TheMysteriousTraveler

On a note of semi-realism - some very basic spells might be considered "cantrips" - the kind of thing that are common knowledge in a fantasy world. Anything more than a basic "light the fire" spell (flash?) is, probably, outside the range of cantrips though. Maybe guild members should gain a more powerful version of the basic cantrip type spells?

Maybe it should also include a requirement for at least one spell in each school of magic (apart from Necromancy)? That would fit with a guild which is trying to limit its membership to those who are actually capable in some way.

Edited by MarkInMKUK

On a note of semi-realism - some very basic spells might be considered "cantrips" - the kind of thing that are common knowledge in a fantasy world. Anything more than a basic "light the fire" spell (flash?) is, probably, outside the range of cantrips though. Maybe guild members should gain a more powerful version of the basic cantrip type spells?

Maybe it should also include a requirement for at least one spell in each school of magic (apart from Necromancy)? That would fit with a guild which is trying to limit its membership to those who are actually capable in some way.

Wait, are you saying that players can choose what type of sorcery/wizardry they want to learn? like for example, one player might want to focus on mystisism (i cant spell that O.O) while another might choose to focus on illusion or destruction? Just a bit confused here....

For the Fighters Guild & possibly Blackwood Company it may not be a cash fee, but a certain skill level with blade, or one (or more) of the other fighting skills - Blackwood skill level would be lower than Fighters IMHO.There could be a skill test of some kind also - a fight with another applicant? Or you must have a certain level of armor and weapon before being allowed.

Thieves Guild already has an application requirement - you have to have spent time in jail, and pass their test.

The assassins also have a requirement - that you must already be a murderer and pass their test before being accepted.

For the mages Guild I would think that a fee is reasonable, Plus some minimum skill level in one of the categories of magic to sign up. Then you should not be allowed to take things from the guild houses until after you have gotten at least one (or maybe more) recommendation. To make it more challenging, you can only sign up at the particular guild house that supports the category oh magic that you do have the skill in, then Must raise the skill for each category to a minimum to apply for that Guild houses recommendation.

To make it more challenging, you can only sign up at the particular guild house that supports the category oh magic that you do have the skill in, then Must raise the skill for each category to a minimum to apply for that Guild houses recommendation.

I think it would make sense (although makes it more complex and would be a major re-work of the Mages Guild) to have to reach a certain minimum level in every magic school to become Archmage. That's the way I roleplay the game anyway...