Lockpicking: Fallout 3 vs Oblivion

AxeAlot

I would love morrowind system to be back in skyrim, dependant upon the quality of lockpicks and your skill. Maybe trapped doors and containers also will be back :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there shoud be no minigame because it breaks up the action and suspense in a tricky stealth mission. Here's what I would like to see:

You should be able to equip a lockpick, of which there should be different ranks such as stick/bone/iron (for example) which speed up lockpicking. With lockpick in hand hold down action button to start lockpicking to start the animation of the character picking the lock. Depending on skill level, door and lockpick type the length of time to get the door open changes (if you can get it open, could take hours for best locks at lowest skill). Time continues while you're picking the lock so you have to look over your shoulder to check you won't get caught.

This suits roleplayers because the character is picking the lock and gets rid of annoying minigames, and suits those looking for action because it doesn't break up the gameplay. However, it is the least realistic because it involves only pressing a button. There's always a compromise...

Edited by Denizen

I think there shoud be no minigame because it breaks up the action and suspense in a tricky stealth mission. Here's what I would liek to see:

You should be able to equip a lockpick, of which there should be different ranks such as stick/bone/iron (for example) which speed up lockpicking. With lockpick in hand hold down action button to start lockpicking to start the animation of the character picking the lock. Depending on skill level, door and lockpick type the length of time to get the door open changes (if you can get it open, could take hours for best locks at lowest skill). Time continues while you're picking the lock so you have to look over your shoulder to check you won't get caught.

This suits roleplayers because the character is picking the lock and gets rid of annoying minigames, and suits those looking for action because it doesn't break up the gameplay.

Interesting take on it! I kind of like that, but I wonder how easy it would be o pull off in a game like Skyrim? The modding community has to try it, at the very least.

Nah. It should just be random roll if you're going to go so far as to complicate lockpicks by material. I don't care if it's got a mini game or not. Lockpicking is cool in my opinion. And for those who don't like it, that's why there was the auto pick feature.

Yup just get the skeleton key and spam auto pick....

I've only ever gotten it once. After playing through the game like 10 times, I've just learned to either not open boxes or get good at it lol.

I found Oblivion's lock-picking far too easy, I could open any lock no matter what my skill was, Fallout 3's was somewhat more difficult since you kind of had to guess, but you also had to be careful not to push the pin too far or risk breaking it.My older brother has never been able to lock-pick in Oblivion, though.His solution was to buy 300 lock-picks and hit the auto-attempt button over and over again until it opened.

I think there shoud be no minigame because it breaks up the action and suspense in a tricky stealth mission. Here's what I would like to see:

This suits roleplayers because the character is picking the lock and gets rid of annoying minigames, and suits those looking for action because it doesn't break up the gameplay. However, it is the least realistic because it involves only pressing a button. There's always a compromise...

if they were going to have no minigame, this would be a great way to do lockpicking. i really dont like the dice roll way of doing things so this would be a great compromise.

I thought that the system in Return To Krondor was pretty cool

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5iP7MaSiyo#t=55s

Every chest has 3 components that you uncover by using the probe.

You then see if it is trapped. Different traps have different looks, the video has a gear and a blade, there is another kind that has a nozzle and an acid flask.

Depending on what type of component you are disarming, different tools will be more or less effective.

Then it turns into a simple timing mini-game, except the target area which determines the difficulty is variable.

The more skill points you have, the bigger the target area is. Also, if you are using the wrong tool, it will make the target area very small.

If you make a mistake, you have a chance of triggering the trap. Once it is triggered you have a few seconds to disarm it or else you get hit by the trap.

This way it mixes the player's knowledge with the player's skill and still uses the RPG system for a lockpicking skill.

However, theres no way they are putting something like that in Skyrim.

Edited by shadowtiger