New redesign implemented

Dark0ne

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to like this, to get used to this, and I just can't. The old site was well laid out, everything close at hand so to speak and clearly labeled, easy to find stuff. This site is just... off somehow. I can't stand it. I've been looking at it and it's giving me a headache.

I know and appreciate that you are improving on your ideas for the sites, you're heroic in my opinion, but this is just wrong. I'd rather have the old site back with the added functionality you were going for here. I'd wait a month with the site off line for that if need be. Please bring back the old site, take it down for a few days if needs be to get it right in your vision, then bring it back to us.

Thanks for your donation and development of this community.

The Vampire88 said:

"And Without an Adblock system many advertisement are appear "

Well, Dark0ne - There you have yet another reason to keep this new design. ;D

I like the basic concept, but there's still a lot I dislike. First, the resolution just doesn't feel right to me. My resolution is 1366x768, and the old design worked wonderfully for it. Possibly my favorite parts about the old design was how clean it felt, with all of the dark colors and the solid background, how easily accessible certain parts were, and how easy it was on my system. The new design feels quite thrown together, to be honest. The orange bars just make it feel weird, and the "Latest News" and "Latest Files" boxes feel like they are constricting the rest of the screen. I don't have purely jeers for this new design, there are elements I like. First off, I like the new cycling of the top files, it has a warmer feeling to it. I also like the top bar design, it feels more efficient. To be honest, I would keep the "Latest" boxes on just the main page, and add an option to change how things are displayed.

People really need to give this some time, and instead of posting negative comments with no constructive feedback what-so-ever, try posting what you think should be changed, and how you would like it be changed.

"I don't like the new design" helps Dark0ne in no way at all.

He has been listening a lot to the comments of the users, but I totally understand that he won't listen to people who just complain without any constructive to say. He allowed the users to come up with color schemes for TESNexus, and implemented Hickory's version of it.

EDIT:

GeohoundJason said:

"...The orange bars just make it feel weird..."

It's the same color as the old Nexus used...

Edited by Zaldiir

I believe the orange color has been updated, but I don't feel that has corrected the issue with color on the new NExus. The White-on-Orange text is now barely legible, and the large blocks of color throughout make it almost impossible to focus on the material one actually wants to read. I would suggest removing the large areas of color all-together. It is these large color bars that compete visually for attention with the content one is actually trying to take in. The moderate use of color made the old Nexus more effective (i.e. colored outlines, links and thin lines/bars), making it easy to look at for extended periods of time.

I'm really trying to like the new site, as I have been a fan of the Nexus for many years. Four areas that comprise my greatest concerns with the new:

1) Color usage (as described above)

2) Scalability of site to different browsers (this was perhaps the very best feature of the previous layout)

3) Presentation of file lists as vertical only... verrrry limiting and harmful for usability. I used to be able to fit some 20 mods on-screen when performing a search; now I only see the first 3 or four in the list and must scroll scroll scroll to see the additional mods.

4) Links as Icons: I loathe the fact that so many links have been replaced with jumbo 'icons', with the link name only appearing on mouseover. This is simply frustrating, and also inhibits 'discovery', i.e. new users are less likely to learn about the misc. features of the site as they are only made visible upon mouseover.

5) Main Column width: this issue is already well documented in these comments...

I'm not trying to complain for the sake of it, and my comments are intended to be constructive. I love what the Nexus is, but the new site is already making me spend less and less time here...

P.S. Re: 'It's the same color as the old Nexus used...'

The problem is not the color itself, but how 'color' in general is used in the site design.

Edited by tapioks

I think the new design is great for it's release stage, definitely heading in the right direction for a pro file site. Great job to all involved. Posted here to ask Dark0ne a question: are there plans for a central Nexus Network home with a sort of overview of all the branches in one place?

It's been a day, and, while I disliked the new design at first, it's really grown on me. Everything runs smoother, and some things (like comments, edorsements, and downloads/views/edorsements counters in the upper right for example) feel more natural. And I really love the new tabs on each mod's page for the files, images, videos, etc.

Most things worth saying have already been harped to death, but some things bear repeating. I use Firefox 6.0 and, as others have pointed out, the images are not displayed correctly. I also miss the side-by-side listing of new and recently updated files when you'd click the "Files" link at the top of the page. It seemed to be much neater and easier to navigate than the current top-to-bottom format. Finally, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I'm not crazy about all the salmon pink here on the DANexus. The old design had the pink, but not nearly in the quantity it is now, which made it more tolerable. WitcherNexus is already red, but maybe a deeper red for DANexus would be more suitable.

Yesterday, I was ready to quit this site, but not before ranting like a lunatic about how much I disliked this new design. I strictly avoid the Bioware Social Network because of how disorganized and comlicated it is to find anything useful, and I thought this new design was careening in the un-user-friendly direction of the BSN. Today, after spending a while getting acclimated with the new features and layout, I'm rather pleased with this modernized design. While it's still not as simple and user-friendly as the old design, it's not hardly as tragic as I originally thought. People are resistant to change, it's human nature; but, like someone before me already said, give it a week, and people will have forgotten the old site.

redesign is bad, too much space on left and right side of monitor I feel like this site was designed for 800x600, it resembles a placeholder wordpress blog theme. Color scheme (at least on new vegas) is ugly, font choice is chunky and bland. It just looks more like someones blogroll than a file repository. Edited by Guest