Why do all the preset women faces have such sharp jawlines?

Topster88

I understand totally what you are saying, but I equally don't understand why they had to go out of their way to make the presets look grotesque. These are not even just average looking, they are outright ugly, IMO.

Average? I think they look average. It's the beards that make them ugly in my opinion. The females have odd shaped eyes(the elves anyway but that's to make them distinct I assume), but they look ok to me. I don't nitpick features though. None of use can change them in real life lol. The presets are probably randomly generated(?), you should be able to tweak out some attractive looking people.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they look pretty average o_O ..Aside from having funny hair and some overgrown beard the faces are very much a normal average human look .. I think someone has been watching to much TV.. In fact! .. after looking again I'm going to go ahead and say these people look better than average.. The humans at least .. The elfs are pretty ugly yes .. Edited by jedimembrain

I think the look pretty average o_O ..Aside from having funny hair and some overgrown beard the faces are very much a normal average human look .. I think someone has been watching to much TV

Lol. Exactly what I was thinking. Spend time reading magazines and watching movies, you're not getting a fair representation of people. Most females wear makeup(kinda funny, as a youth it's to look older, with age it's to look younger lol), having been in relationships, seeing both sides of the story. I know the whole story.

I'm sure there are users who know all to well the wonders of makeup. Nothing wrong with that of course, but having expectations is kinda immature... Now as an artist I can understand wanting to make your subject look...Appealing? So it's understandable why people want to make pretty things lol. It's all per-programmed though, girls play with dolls that are beyond normal beauty, boys play with action figures with unrealistic muscles and very masculine features.\

But yeah screw it. Do what you like and enjoy it. You only live once.

Edited by SHIROryuu

My word you are making some sweeping and arrogant assumptions there. Actually I don't watch much TV or look at many glossy magazines. What I do is meet a lot of real, actual human beings every day in the course of my work. Not airbrushed and make up plastered supermodels. Tall ones, short ones, thin ones, fat ones, old ones, young ones, good looking ones, plain ones. I know very well what an ordinary human being looks like, so don't patronise me. They look nothing like these presets, that's for sure. I have yet to meet an elf (just in case you don't get that, it's called Brit sarcasm)but I have a kind of Tolkien-esque take on elves, based on European mythologies like he did, that gives me the idea that elves are supposed to be fair of face.

So these presets fail for me in that the humans seem to bear no resemblance to humans, and the elves are uglier than the humans when I feel they should be of ethereal beauty a la Tolkien. I don't play the beast races, but the Argonians do look more varied this time.

Sorry to have burst your bubble there, but I have been around real people for rather a long time.

My word you are making some sweeping and arrogant assumptions there. Actually I don't watch much TV or look at many glossy magazines. What I do is meet a lot of real, actual human beings every day in the course of my work. Not airbrushed and make up plastered supermodels. Tall ones, short ones, thin ones, fat ones, old ones, young ones, good looking ones, plain ones. I know very well what an ordinary human being looks like, so don't patronise me. They look nothing like these presets, that's for sure. I have yet to meet an elf (just in case you don't get that, it's called Brit sarcasm)but I have a kind of Tolkien-esque take on elves, based on European mythologies like he did, that gives me the idea that elves are supposed to be fair of face.

So these presets fail for me in that the humans seem to bear no resemblance to humans, and the elves are uglier than the humans when I feel they should be of ethereal beauty a la Tolkien. I don't play the beast races, but the Argonians do look more varied this time.

Sorry to have burst your bubble there, but I have been around real people for rather a long time.

I did not make assumptions of you. I shared my opinion. Doesn't make it fact. Doesn't mean I'm trying to put words in your mouth. So I'd appreciate if you didn't call me arrogant.

Your Tolkien gives you a bias. No different then those magazines or television shows. Knowing something makes you biased. Not trying to say like something I like, have the same outlook as me. You're your own person, do like and love whatever suits your tastes.

Edited by SHIROryuu

Yea .. I certainly understand the elf thing .. I still like what they have done ugly or not .. But I stand by the humans .. they look good .. I just can't see what your seeing .. I think this may be due to my perspective on the art of the human face since I am a artist and have a good understanding of the uncanny valley it might make me more understand of the larger features .. this is an attempt to stay out of the valley .. if you make 3D models look to realistic they look creepy .. Unless your able to pull off the human look exactly which is near impossible .. most videogames today use this to make there faces less creepy since the technology is right on the edge of the uncanny valley currently. The picture of Tom Hanks from polar expres .. they made him look slightly cartoonish to keep him from looking creepy .. exagerated eyes and mouth help ... the female robot of the other hand is trying it hardest to look human . but sadly falls right into the valley and makes her look downright scary!

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/uncanny-valley.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05YwbuEgNY8Iu/340x.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_X3SOWkbdue8/S48U9mmpsWI/AAAAAAAAAMw/ATdE5-t4r8o/s320/the-uncanny-valley.jpg

Edited by jedimembrain

I did not say I was expecting total photo/3d realism. I said that the human faces in my view bore no resemblance to real humans. I do have some knowledge of art myself as I both draw and paint, though in my case I use old fashioned paper, pencils, pastels, watercolours, etc, rather than electronic media. To me, they have gone way too far with the human faces and they actually look too orcish if anything. I think I feel a modding the presets session coming on as my first trick.

The Tolkien thing about elves is nothing new. Professor Tolkien drew from assorted European mythologies where the conception of elves was of them being a higher being, more cultured, intelligent AND beautiful. Not to mention tall. So my take on elves is from a pretty deep rooted tradition,to call it bias is something of a misnomer, hence I think those elven presets are also horrendous. Nothing to do with modern media and supermodels, more to do with my Celtic and Norse forebears, actually.

Hmm as im an artist aswell as you 2 i can understand also both of what you mean..im actually excited about those new faces and i realize this is TES, it has its own culture and beings different then those from tolkien.

I for one like this change from the typical shiny elves, its more realistic and gives Skyrim a more rough feeling to its harsh world.

Though the first thing, i will do is to make my elf look pretty, i wont deny that...i love elves and im also influenced by tolkien and i certainly wouldnt mind if some presets would be more beutyfied.