"Colored Map Mod" borked my Oblivion

nrot

I believe the mod called "Colored map icons", found here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4481

Has broken my Oblivion, the mod is very old (mid 2006) and the author never updated or replied to any comments on it. The latest comment as you will see is someone reporting the exact same behavior (although in his case, apparently watching some anime and waiting a bit made the issue resolve itself, :blink: no such luck here).

There are no uninstallation instructions, the entire readme is below.

Unpack archive in a folder with game

These icons is better are looked together with a colored map and BTmod.

Enjoy!

With questions address [email protected]

The mod adds 3 .dds files to textures, it was a simply drag and drop, no wrye bash, no omod, etc. Right after pasting the files into said directory, the game crashes/hangs at a black screen, not even a CTD, I have to ctrl+alt+del to regain control of windows.

I then created an OMOD for and subsequently installed "elven map redux" found here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3002

Thinking that its textures might overwrite (and hence, fix) the problem files in question, no dice, I keep encountering the same crashes. So, I then remove/delete the elven map OMOD, and the files from "colored map mod" hoping that would fix the issue and get me back in the game... again, no such luck. I took at look at my DVD to see if by chance I could access those folders to restore any stock files I deleted during this mess and I can't open the compressed files. :wallbash:

I tried running BOSS, it doesn't report any problems (which I expected, seeing how there were no installers/.esp files, etc.)

So, at this point, am I screwed? Is there any way out of this mess that doesn't require reinstalling the game? :ohdear:

I just installed the mod, and my game is running fine. Try updating your archive invalidation. Not sure if that will help, but I have had it fix things like this before. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer. That works for about half of the problems that I run into with Oblivion. If it still will not run, then I don't really know what else can be done, as I am fairly inexperienced in the area of troubleshooting.

How long do you let it sit at the black screen before you ctrl+alt+del your way out of it? I've had a couple of mods that will occasionally cause something like this that lasts more than 50 seconds before finally loading the game. Have you installed any other mods recently that could be causing this?

I use Colored Map Mod and have no problems. If deleting "Tamriel_Resized.dds" out of the menus, menus80, and menus50 folders under \Data\Textures\ doesn't clear this up then it's not Colored Map Mod causing your problem. Try making a backup of your Oblivion.ini (found in My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\) and then deleting it. Oblivion will make a new one once you run it. This file is often the cause of similar CTD on start up of Oblivion.

I just installed the mod, and my game is running fine. Try updating your archive invalidation. Not sure if that will help, but I have had it fix things like this before. If that doesn't work, try restarting your computer. That works for about half of the problems that I run into with Oblivion. If it still will not run, then I don't really know what else can be done, as I am fairly inexperienced in the area of troubleshooting.

How long do you let it sit at the black screen before you ctrl+alt+del your way out of it? I've had a couple of mods that will occasionally cause something like this that lasts more than 50 seconds before finally loading the game. Have you installed any other mods recently that could be causing this?

- Restarted my computer, that seemed to fix the issue

- Tried to install "Dynamic Map" via OBMM instead hoping to have better luck. I was able to play the game without a crash on the first try, but the mod didn't work (map looked like vanilla). Exited the game, updated archive invalidation, attempted to play again, and now I get CTD.

- Removed Dynamic Map, I still get CTD.

- Tried backing up/deleting oblivion.ini (as MShoap13 suggested), no change.

I have a feeling I might have a load order issue, but I read the descriptions/readme and didn't seeing anything that conflicts with these mods. In fact, at least one of the mod's author's stated that *nothing* should conflict with them. So far, I've successfully installed all of FCOM and a few other mods... I didn't experience any problems like this prior to installing these map mods. :huh:

If it happened immediately after updating the archive invalidation, that may be the cause. How are you updating it? I have always used OBMM for that, and occasionally I run into problems with that, although not very often.

Have you manually checked and deleted "Tamriel_Resized.dds" in the folders I mentioned in my previous post?

Have you manually checked and deleted "Tamriel_Resized.dds" in the folders I mentioned in my previous post?

@MShoap13: Yes, I've doubled checked and that file is no where in the data/textures folder at all (I indexed the location and searched through *all* the files, just to be sure). There is no file with the name "tamriel" under textures at all, is there supposed to be one by default? I'm wondering if I accidentally overwrote and/or deleted a critical file. If not, then I guess I've reached a dead end on that front.

@insanityman: I did in fact use OBMM for archive invalidation (actually, I know of no other way to accomplish this - I'm still quite new to the process). You mentioned this can cause problems in rare cases... when that happened to you, how did you learn that this was the cause, and how did you fix it?

Thanks for the responses.

[edit] I forgot to mention, that although rebooting the computer worked the first time my Oblivion was crashing, that method no longer works. My Windows doesn't lock up at the loading screen like it did the first time, but does lock up upon attempting to load a save or start a new game after CTD (even with fastexit running).

Edited by nrot

Ok, so I learned how to post a load order... here's what I have from wrye bash. You guys see any problems?

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm [CRC: 2FF840C5]
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm  [Version 4.5bSI] [CRC: 2D78AA91]
02  Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm  [Version 4.5bSI] [CRC: DFD4FB97]
03  Cobl Main.esm  [Version 1.73] [CRC: 7C04DAFB]
04  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm  [Version 1.34] [CRC: C09734F4]
05  Mart's Monster Mod.esm  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 5D909483]
06  FCOM_Convergence.esm  [Version 0.9.9MB3] [CRC: 8899BA8D]
07  Armamentarium.esm  [Version 1.35] [CRC: BCF36F0D]
08  Artifacts.esm  [Version 1.1] [CRC: 86C8B7A8]
09  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.3.7] [CRC: 6AB8F177]
**  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.4.4] [CRC: F6C1D21D]
0A  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Bosses.esp [CRC: 45BD7EF9]
0B  Francesco's Optional Chance of Stronger Enemies.esp [CRC: 4F003DB0]
0C  Francesco's Optional Chance of More Enemies.esp [CRC: BEA456A9]
0D  Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp [CRC: 36DF7A6E]
++  FCOM_Francescos.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: A27190A9]
++  FCOM_FrancescosItemsAddOn.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 4547AA1F]
0E  FCOM_FrancescosNamedBosses.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 60FF114D]
++  Item interchange - Extraction.esp  [Version 0.76] [CRC: A17792E6]
**  DLCHorseArmor.esp [CRC: BAD48E5D]
**  DLCHorseArmor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6] [CRC: 00F74B09]
0F  DLCOrrery.esp [CRC: 5BC59DB4]
10  DLCVileLair.esp [CRC: 74D2CA6F]
**  DLCVileLair - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.7] [CRC: 5B9FF91B]
11  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp [CRC: CB413740]
**  DLCMehrunesRazor - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5] [CRC: FF57D0F8]
12  DLCSpellTomes.esp [CRC: 312156F8]
++  DLCSpellTomes - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.1] [CRC: 8CC91BA1]
13  DLCThievesDen.esp [CRC: 05DB8CCC]
**  DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.10] [CRC: 401934BE]
++  MMM_Runeskull_Rebalance_BETA2.esp  [Version Beta] [CRC: AB46B220]
14  Bob's Armory Oblivion.esp [CRC: DE136AF6]
15  FCOM_BobsArmory.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 5A017B08]
16  Loth's Blunt Weapons for Npcs.esp [CRC: D82849FE]
++  FCOM_LothsBluntWeapons.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: C7E2EFAC]
17  Oblivion WarCry EV.esp  [Version 1.09] [CRC: 4F32343B]
18  FCOM_WarCry.esp  [Version 0.9.9MB5] [CRC: 4B541396]
19  Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp  [Version 1.34] [CRC: AD2A2935]
**  OMOBS_SI.esp  [Version 2.0] [CRC: 6F998DD2]
1A  ArmamentariumArtifacts.esp  [Version 1.35] [CRC: 74D0F883]
**  OOO 1.32-Cobl.esp  [Version 1.72] [CRC: 10345C67]
1B  FCOM_Convergence.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3] [CRC: 711706C0]
++  FCOM_EntropicOrderRebalance.esp  [Version 0.9.9beta2] [CRC: F03C2087]
1C  FCOM_RealSwords.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: AD5EC654]
++  FCOM_SaferRoads.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: A90C5DFC]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Looting NPCs & Creatures.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 17C0D829]
1D  Mart's Monster Mod - Zombies for Body Meshes.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 6D39E4C7]
1E  Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 6025C7D0]
1F  Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse WaterLife.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3f] [CRC: 5FDE93E5]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Slof Horses Complete.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 5D26D847]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Runeskulls Loot OOO.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 4E21A9ED]
++  FCOM_DiverseGuardUnity.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: ACBB13AD]
++  FCOM_BobsGuardUnity.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 5C5585E0]
++  FCOM_HungersUnitySI.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 17F87DA1]
**  FCOM_FriendlierFactions.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 21EC43A1]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Shivering Isles.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: 9019F72A]
++  ArmamentariumLL4OOO.esp  [Version 2.01] [CRC: 7FE9F55D]
++  ArmamentariumLLMagicOOO.esp  [Version 1.35] [CRC: 9330907E]
++  MMM-Cobl.esp  [Version 1.73] [CRC: 9478B271]
++  Artifacts - ArmaCompleteAddon.esp  [Version 1.0] [CRC: 1FD522A4]
20  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp [CRC: 7048C609]
21  DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.6] [CRC: AB4DE79A]
22  DLCFrostcrag.esp [CRC: 2A7665FB]
**  DLCFrostcrag - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.0.5] [CRC: 5744D6B8]
23  Knights.esp [CRC: F1F478FA]
24  Knights - Unofficial Patch.esp  [Version 1.1.2] [CRC: 2F15B12C]
**  DLC_MOBS.esp [CRC: DEB4C4C9]
25  Mart's Monster Mod - City Defences.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: E4955199]
++  FCOM_Knights.esp  [Version 0.9.9Mb3] [CRC: A982ADDD]
26  Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp [CRC: DC2B0A47]
++  Item interchange - Placement for FCOM.esp  [Version 0.76] [CRC: EE92EE70]
++  Item interchange - Placement for Frostcrag.esp  [Version 0.76] [CRC: 1076BEF1]
++  Mart's Monster Mod - Resized Races.esp  [Version 3.7b3p3] [CRC: DB4F2048]
**  FCOM_Archery.esp  [Version 0.9.9] [CRC: 779D0F82]
++  Cobl Filter Late MERGE ONLY.esp  [Version 1.53] [CRC: A066EBDE]
27  Bashed Patch, 0.esp [CRC: D69B5644]

Looks almost identical to mine, other than I don't have any of the DLC or SI installed. Your load order doesn't appear to be the issue from what I can tell.

I was afraid of that, it means no easy fix for this mess. :wallbash:

I had a vanilla backup of the oblivion install that I forgot about, and in it there is only one file under data/textures called "TerrianNoise.dds (which itself is under "effects" the only folder under textures). Which made me think that I should be able to remove all the folders that these blasted map mods modified (namely, menus/menus50/menus75/menus80) and it should remove whatever non-sense caused this to happen.

So, I removed the folders to the desktop and fired up oblivion again... the only difference is that during the loading screen the graphics go back to stock, right before it CTD. :facepalm:

At this point I'm ready to give up and start all over... I'll be holding out just a little bit longer to see if someone has a new suggestion to try. Thanks for your posts.